Our 'Stars' and Consistency

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: good post

groupie1 wrote:good post,
I'd reckon Harvey, Hayes, Baker, Fisher, Hudghton, Goddard, Roo would be worthy of the label of elite
I dont possibly see how Bakes could be elite and doubt Harvs, Max and BJ are either.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

RF - You are correct in a lot of what you say, but some of it is more about what you have left out than what you have said.

I agree with your elite player analysis excepting I would add one, Riewoldt. He is involved in 3-4 goals every week, winning 4 B&F's in 7 years suggests he is doing what is required from the people that count, the coaching panel.

Where it gets a bit murky is how many elite players are on each club's lists...We may have 4 or 5 elite players but I don't reckon the Cats have more than 6.

Geelong I count 6: Scarlett, Ablett, Bartel, Ling, Johnson, Chapman & Milburn with another 6 as reliable being Corey, Mooney, Wojinscki, Kelly, Enright & Ottens. They also have 4 outstanding youngsters in Hawkins, Selwood, Mackie & Blake who may well be elite shortly. That's 16 out of their 22

We have 5 elite: Hayes, Riewoldt, Baker, Fisher & Max But I reckon only 3 reliable players in Dal, Ball, and Harvs. That's 8 out of 22, not good enough. We have a number of players who have too much gap between their A grade best and C grade worst: Gram, X, Joey, Kosi, Goose & Milne - they should be reliable but just aren't. This combined with our only real A grade youngster in BJ is where our problems start and end.

Raph, Armo, Gilbert, Howard, McQualter and Ferguson for various reasons just haven't developed into regular reliable senior players, let alone A graders. Whilst it may be early for Armo and a little harsh on Gilbert, the facts are there and none of them would get a game for the Cats.

I agree there is lots of work to do, just don't think its at the elite end, nor in the bottom end, I think its in the middle.

This I find very interesting and stimulating discussion, excellent topic.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It's the whole list you need to develop...to achieve

You need a good top end, middle and bottom end....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintschampions08
Club Player

Re: good post

plugger66 wrote:
groupie1 wrote:good post,
I'd reckon Harvey, Hayes, Baker, Fisher, Hudghton, Goddard, Roo would be worthy of the label of elite
I dont possibly see how Bakes could be elite and doubt Harvs, Max and BJ are either.
Well, to be dead honest.

Goddard, Baker, Hayes, Hudghton are no chance.

Fisher and Roo would be fringe elite players.

Don't forget, we had no AA last year.