Official Team Vs Carlton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:anybody who even thinks for one second that jones is a better footballer than fiora certainly,...imhfo,...doesn't know their footballers...ffs..... :roll: :roll:
A bit like someone who at one point thought Knobel was better than Cox :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i dont like the droppings of jones or gardiner,

Richter
SS Life Member

ralphysaints35 wrote:i dont like the droppings of jones or gardiner,
Well get a poop scoop, pick 'em up and get rid of them then........ :wink: :D

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:
BOOM! BOOM!!

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
BelfastSaint wrote:
BelfastSaint wrote:Can't really complain with those changes ... Gehrig to bitch slap Setanta again.. and Blake .. well its been a while since he has played a really bad game for us ...always very servicable of late and will probably have a specific job again this week ..
his work as the loose man in defence does not warrant selection...his ball use is still poor and under pressure even worse...and considering the amount of ball he will get being loose...shudder...
I'm predicting no matter what position Blake plays he will have a great game against Carlton and hopefully then you can come back and say ..."Sorry Blakey"...." I wuz wong" ... :D
why would i apologize for having a somewhat informed opinion??? if he does play well...well good if not...bugger...
Ah yes ...but that "somewhat informed opinion" only stands up if Blake plays as crap as you have predicted .... otherwise it will be a somewhat ill informed opinion ???

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i wouldve picked CG over Geary...
but thats still a pretty good side....and yeah baker, goose and BJ have to fit in yet as well.....been a while since we were this spoilt for choice

as much as Fiora can frustrate me......i think he has a better footy brain than CJ....although he has to step up and get that left foot putting some thru the big sticks from 40/50 meters out......

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:anybody who even thinks for one second that jones is a better footballer than fiora certainly,...imhfo,...doesn't know their footballers...ffs..... :roll: :roll:
Agreed. Jones did some good (one great) things last week, but Fiora is a class above. I have no doubt he can return to his 2007 form with a little bit of time.

As for the Blake vs Gardiner debate - it's a good one. I'd much prefer Gardiner, because I think he can make a tangible impact on a game and he does create headaches for the oppoosition.

I'm not really sure what Blake can do, as him running around as a spare man seems a waste of a spare man, really.

He's handy as a defensive back-up; not something we need against Carlton.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

hotdish
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:What message does it send when somebody as couragous as Jones is dropped and somebody as soft as Fiora stays in?
Selection has nothing to do with Softness - its about team balance and matchups. Fiora is gonna play his best footy at the Dome, and Jones' disposal is poor.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:
BelfastSaint wrote:
BelfastSaint wrote:Can't really complain with those changes ... Gehrig to bitch slap Setanta again.. and Blake .. well its been a while since he has played a really bad game for us ...always very servicable of late and will probably have a specific job again this week ..
his work as the loose man in defence does not warrant selection...his ball use is still poor and under pressure even worse...and considering the amount of ball he will get being loose...shudder...
I'm predicting no matter what position Blake plays he will have a great game against Carlton and hopefully then you can come back and say ..."Sorry Blakey"...." I wuz wong" ... :D
why would i apologize for having a somewhat informed opinion??? if he does play well...well good if not...bugger...
Ah yes ...but that "somewhat informed opinion" only stands up if Blake plays as crap as you have predicted .... otherwise it will be a somewhat ill informed opinion ???
not at all....because he has played many more poor games than good...he is terrible under pressure and finds ways to complete fcuk it up...

where have i predicted that blake WILL play crap though??? not once have i said that play is going to play crap....

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

iwantmeseats wrote:
Richter wrote:
BOOM! BOOM!!
I hear they are good for the garden though! :wink:

Before Im 85
Buckets
SS Life Member

With Charlie and Jones being emergencies i wouldn't be suprised to see either or both as late inclusions on Saturday night :wink:

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:With Charlie and Jones being emergencies i wouldn't be suprised to see either or both as late inclusions on Saturday night :wink:
for who

JeffDunne

Buckets wrote:With Charlie and Jones being emergencies i wouldn't be suprised to see either or both as late inclusions on Saturday night :wink:
Bingo.

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to point this out.

We'll make at least 1 and probably 2 changes.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Agree on Jones, but unsure on Gardiner. Charlie had an excellent pre season and while he didn't keep up his great form last week, he did get a bit of the footy and took some solid marks in a game that was very tough for forwards.

If the game was at the G I think Gardiner would be playing, but if Lyon has Gehrig as an automatic selection then it would be an extremely crowded forward line with Roo, Kosi, Gehrig, Gardiner, Milne and Schneider in there at the dome.

I do wonder if it was worth brining Blake in. Carlton don't have any dangerous utilities that need shutting down and I would like to see Geary continue his role as a loose half back.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

blake goes to fisher????

maxx to fev???

this leaves gram and s.fish relatively free...or with opponents that one can make accountable...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
AlpineStars
Club Player

It's probably the first time in a long time we have blokes being left out who deserve a game, Armo Jones, gardner still Goddard,Goose and baker to come back. i think it shows we have a lot more depth. Bad luck to a couple of blokes but some in the side must know their spots are in danger if they don't perform.

Wake me up when September ends.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Blake (with King & M. Gardiner) will fill the hole in front of the Urinator or he'll run with Stevens and make him accountable whilst putting some pressure. Stevens use of the ball is also suspect IMO if under pressure so they could very well cancel each other out.

Hopefully Raph can pick up Houlihan and stop him ducking out the back for some soft clear possessions. Houlihan will hurt us if he's allowed to run free on the wing and half forward line.

I like the team, anytime players like Armo, C. Gardiner and Jones can be sitting in the stands means we are starting to build some depth and create some healthy and genuine competition for spots.

My view is Blake & L. Fisher will be competiting with Baker & Dempster

Geary or Raph are keeping BJ and Maguires spots warm but they will have to prove they are 100% ready to play AFL instaed of walking back in.

Armo & Jones are waiting in the wings for a spot in the midfield or if X, Schneider & Milne lose form.

m_m
Club Player

who do you reckon gilbert will play on
who'll take betts?

m_m
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:
Saintsime wrote:How did you get these sides so early in the afternoon ? They aren't even on Sportal yet.

Jones unlucky to be dropped and Fiora very lucky to stay in the side. I was not a huge Jones fan until Saturday night and "that mark". He won me over, I would have kept him in for that effort alone. Fiora doesn't go near a contest and when he as the opportunity to kick a goal always misses.

Jones in my opinion earnt his stripes with that effort v Sydney, I am yet to witness what Ross Lyon sees in Fiora and why he is picked in the side each week.

Am I the only one ?
No your not. I have given him another go time and time again. Will pop up for a good mark here or there then go missing. How you leave CJ out for him is beyond me.

After that mark, it would have made a nice statement. Guess thats why Im not coach.
jones didnt play that well...he got 9 touches (7 of those were uncontested) and 1 tackle....one good mark shouldnt secure a spot in the team...however i think gardiner deserved a spot...only just

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
Bingo.

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to point this out.

We'll make at least 1 and probably 2 changes.
This reminds me of the issue I have naming your 22 a full 48 hours in advance.

Why not just let teams name their 25 and finalisation is half or one hour before kickoff for every game?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

m_m wrote:who do you reckon gilbert will play on
who'll take betts?
Their resting ruck or Edwards

Geary or X should pick up Betts

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Re: Official Team Vs Carlton

Dan Warna wrote:
SaintBot wrote:ST KILDA
B: Gram, Hudghton, Gilbert
HB: R.Clarke, S.Fisher, X.Clarke
C: Blake, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Harvey, Riewoldt, Schneider
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Gehrig
FOLL: King, Dal Santo, Ball
I/C: M.Gardiner, L.Fisher, Fiora, Geary
EMG: C.Gardiner, Jones, Birss
IN: Gehrig, Blake
OUT: C.Gardiner, Jones
wow we are going in very tall.

talent wise its impressive, but its like land of the giants out there.
iv edited the op, including heights of each player

surprisingly carlton is slightly taller than us (by 1cm)

however the stats do lie in this case, as the blues have a lot of 190cm players who play as smalls

and we have 186-189 players who can play tall

JeffDunne

saintspremiers wrote:Why not just let teams name their 25 and finalisation is half or one hour before kickoff for every game?
I think that's pretty much what we have now.

When I look at team lineups the first line I look at is the emergencies.

Especially teams prone to late changes.

Ross likes to keep them guessing.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about the Jones / Fiora comparison Sting, havent seen enough of Jones, but I don't rate Fiora. He's soft, has had a fair run at making an impact and is about the last guy in the team I'd want to contest a ball in a must win situation. Jones at least has some fire in his belly.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Official Team Vs Carlton

Dan Warna wrote:wow we are going in very tall. talent wise its impressive, but its like land of the giants out there.
nothing wrong with tall as long as they are good talls and ours are. fwiw carlton has gone in taller than us
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 27 Mar 2008 9:59pm, edited 2 times in total.