an enforcer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Let's not live in the past - the days of enforcers are gone and we need to speak with wins, not have loose cannons being suspended and sitting in the stands when they should be on the field contributing to a winning team.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

killa_gram wrote:I think you are all forgetting about one Aaron Fiora.
:lol:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Let's not live in the past - the days of enforcers are gone .
brisbane had at least two or three in their premiership years. that was only this decade, so i hardly think it has been consigned to history.

i'm not saying be thugs. we just need a few players to ensure that we are never bullied on the field.

actually "enforcers" might be the wrong word. let's call them "protectors", blokes who will fly the flag at the first sign of trouble

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
spert wrote:Let's not live in the past - the days of enforcers are gone .
brisbane had at least two or three in their premiership years. that was only this decade, so i hardly think it has been consigned to history.

i'm not saying be thugs. we just need a few players to ensure that we are never bullied on the field.

actually "enforcers" might be the wrong word. let's call them "protectors", blokes who will fly the flag at the first sign of trouble
True.

The days of thugs running around king hitting guys is obviously over.

But try telling me that Barry Hall and Jonathon Brown aren't better and more valuable players because guys are scared of them?

Not scared to the point of avoiding them at all costs - but scared to the point of perhaps not going that extra 1% at a contest when they are around. That 1% makes a big difference.

Also, did Scheider get roughed up whilst at the Swans by his opponents? No. Because it's a bit harder to be a hero when the bloke you're picking on has Barry Hall 'protecting' him.

That's what we're talking about here. As you say BigCarl, 'enforcer' probably isn't the best term.

Sometimes it' not even doing the intimidation, sometimes it's simply the fact that you're tough enough not to be intimidated yourself.

Port were tough when they won their flag. They had dirty little turds like Carr running around jabbing guys in packs.

Geelong last year had plenty of guys who are considered 'tough'. Bartel, Mooney, King, Scarlett, Milburn are all guys who can dish it out within the rules, and also outside them if they want to.

yipper
SS Life Member

I think Michael Gardner can/will re-invent himself in this role. His last Q efforts on Saturday night showed he can influence a contest very well with his physical presence alone. He is big, doesn't mind a bit of argy bargy and seems to have re-captured the passion to play well. His efforts alongside the equally imposing King in the ruck have clearly made it easier for our talented mids to work their stuff at the stoppages. If this continues into the main season - then we have our protectors.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Have to agree on this.
Can see Kosi, Bakes, Lenny, G, and yes Gardiner and even Armo...but Goose may have some mongrel in him, but the '05 incident with Hall really does eliminate any fear others may have....

We miss Powell and obviously Hamill IMO.
Maybe Hayes can become the Powell of 04/05 and Armo the Hayes of the same time.....