Reiwoldt Captain

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

esaint66
SS Life Member

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:I think a lot of people here are forgetting Riewoldt's extremely rousing B and F speech. If this isn't the words of a deserved captain, well.... what else can I say?
\
hahah i was wondering when someone was gonna get to that :lol:

i still havent heard it either.
just seen snippets of it in papers, magazines and in peoples signatures.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

For every1 that has questions over Roo's abiity to have that little bit of grunt i think we need to look at the other factors he has that make him a great leader.

COURAGE

The courage to throw urself into a pack ala the sydney game at the scg

The courage to bust a gut and push the limits and run all day

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint edward wrote:
Spinner wrote:
SB10 wrote:To be honest I'm a little shocked that so many of you prefer Lenny over Roo as skipper.

Don't get me wrong I'm one of Lenny's biggest fans, but Roo is clearly our best player and without doubt the most important cog in the team.

IMO he had to be made captain. Hopefully this yearly discussion on captaincy is a thing of the past and Roo can concentrate on leading the team
Best player isn't a formula for best Captain.

In fact...every junior and senior team I have playing in hasn't had the best player as Captain.

*cough* carlton *cough* judd. :lol:
Anyone that believes that Judd isn't the best Leader in all of Carlton has got something seriously wrong with them....

Not insisting that you think this Eddie...But a lot of my mates think that....and I think they are idiots.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:For every1 that has questions over Roo's abiity to have that little bit of grunt i think we need to look at the other factors he has that make him a great leader.

COURAGE

No doubt he is an inspiring player.....

Aggression is his only flaw.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

I too would have preferred Lenny; but I think the club has made the right decision.
Lenny is a gun, he doesn't need the Captaincy in order to fire.

Riewoldt will probably be an even better player/leader having been given the role of Captain in his own right.
I believe this will be Riewoldt's best season to date and that can only be a good thing for the club.

GO SAINTERS!!!!!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SB10 wrote:To be honest I'm a little shocked that so many of you prefer Lenny over Roo as skipper.

Don't get me wrong I'm one of Lenny's biggest fans, but Roo is clearly our best player and without doubt the most important cog in the team.
Best player does not mean that they wouldmakea good Captain..

For example think Gary Ablett

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Congrats to Roo.

He is a very good choice.

I preferred Lenny, but both are great choices.

One thing about Roo is that he has been acting as the captain for a bit now:

For example:

* his stirring non-nonsense call to arms B&F speech.
* the footage in the rooms at the NAB GF clearly showed Roo as mrashalling the troops.

Now is the time for one caption.

Apprenticeship is now over and we need to start walking the talk and acting likea premiership threat rather than justa potential threat.

If we have arrived then one captain is what you need.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 12 Mar 2008 4:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SB10
Club Player

Spinner wrote:

IMO he had to be made captain. Hopefully this yearly discussion on captaincy is a thing of the past and Roo can concentrate on leading the team
Best player isn't a formula for best Captain.

In fact...every junior and senior team I have playing in hasn't had the best player as Captain.
Agree with you in some cases Spinner BUT not in the case of Riewoldt. He ticks the boxes in every single attribute you'd like your skipper to possess. As for the aggression thing, all I'm interested in is aggression to the footy and the contest and I don't think there's a more aggressive player in the comp than Roo when it comes to that.

As for the crying saga I don't think there's too many people questioning Max Hudghton's courage after his tearful episode. These guys are passionate about the club, simple as that.......

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Actually...To be fair, the bloke has won three out of the last 4 best and fairest's at the club.....

Very hard to argue....Especially with my-self.

This could be the start of many great great things....

IE 5 premierships in a row!!!! :lol: :lol:

Saint_in_SA
Club Player

Interesting to hear a lot of you favor Lenny over Roo - if Lenny was appointed captain, I guess we would hear all the Riewoldt supporters stating their disagreement..... funny how we prefer to state what we don't agree with more than what we agree with.

The truth is we have many leaders in our club that would be worthy of captain i.e:

Hayes - obvious superstar
Riewoldt - is now captain courageous, CONGRATULATIONS!
Kosi - stands tall, also sickening courage and potential superstar
Montagna - responsibililty may take his game to even greater heights,
Ball - has been captain courageous,
Dal - star midfielder
Chips - what's' to say he could not martial the troops from the backline ala Worsfold.
X - potential superstar, may be the responsibility that helps him harden up and front up when slightly injured,
Harves - (enter superlatives here)

no doubt also King has the credentials, but not the experience with our boys to warrant consideration.

you could mount an argument for any of them that would be plausible.

A truly exciting year ahead, can't wait for us to shine under our magnificent captain!
:P

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

Well Done to Roo.
Him or Lenny would have been great as captains.
So either way I would have been happy.
Congrats!!

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
mischa
Club Player

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:For every1 that has questions over Roo's abiity to have that little bit of grunt i think we need to look at the other factors he has that make him a great leader.

COURAGE

Exactly. Courage/aggression at/for the footy-same thing. It's somewhat annoying that ppl who go balistic over comments made about Harves, go ahead and do the same thing re: Roo-basically questioning his ability/committment in certain areas

Good choice, btw.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:

COURAGE

Exactly. Courage/aggression at/for the footy-same thing. It's somewhat annoying that ppl who go balistic over comments made about Harves, go ahead and do the same thing re: Roo-basically questioning his ability/committment in certain areas
Good choice, btw.
Did GT make disparaging remarks about Roo?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

hayes would have been my favourite, but there you go.

reiwoldt is an outstanding player, and I have no criticism of him whatsoever.

if anything he is TOO selfless and couragious, if that can be called a criticism.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
mischa
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
mischa wrote:

COURAGE

Good choice, btw.
Have you read the thread :?:

*BaLLy iS BeST*
Club Player

well im just happy we have finally ended this 'who is the captain' saga.

we have a fantastic captain in roo who will NO DOUBT do a brilliant job at leading the boys and being spokesperson for our club.

so lets just all be happy about that shall we :D

yes lenny would have been just as good a captain...but just because he doesnt have 'captain' written next to his name doesnt mean he won't be just as much a 'captain' as roo is in the eyes of the players. and thats what is most important if you ask me.

i will miss you bally. but i guess you just didn't want to be here.

heres hoping you are regretting that choice on that last day in september 2010 - go saints.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:

COURAGE

Good choice, btw.
I think you'll find very few who argue that Reiwoldt displays aggression towards opposition players in any form.

Fact is, he doesn't....He in contrast only plays the ball with absolute courage/aggression.

Instances like that Melbourne game in which was a pre-meditated tactic to rough Reiwoldt up just look dis-heartening with his lack of physical response.

No doubt he rips then apart on the scoreboard and where it really counts....Its just I rather him fly the flag every so often....

esaint66
SS Life Member

COURAGE

IMO if youve got a player with mental and physical courage and aggression then youve got a top player.

thats why robert harvey is such a great player (hes had both of those things for most or if not all of his career)

lots of players lose one or if not both of them through out the career.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
mischa wrote:

COURAGE

Good choice, btw.
This isn't about GT mischa, for heavens sake, he was sacked almost 2 and a half years ago.....

Time to let go..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
mischa wrote:

COURAGE

Good choice, btw.
Yes, and I juust reread all the posts.

I poster suggsested Roo needed to show more aggression.
Another poster suggested Roo needed more grunt.

NEITHER POSTER WAS BEING DEROGATORY towards Roo which is what your idol GT intimated when he agreed with Dermie.

How in god's name you managed to equate this thread with the disparaging comments of DB and his supporter GT is beyond me.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
mischa wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
mischa wrote:

COURAGE

Good choice, btw.
Yes, and I juust reread all the posts.

NEITHER POSTER WAS BEING DEROGATORY towards Roo which is what your idol GT intimated when he agreed with Dermie.

How in god's name you managed to equate this thread with the disparaging comments of DB and his supporter GT is beyond me.
Check Mate.

mischa
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Yes, and I juust reread all the posts.

NEITHER POSTER WAS BEING DEROGATORY towards Roo
Disagree. Very derogatory.

mischa
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Check Mate.
:roll: You should ask RL why Lenny isn't the captain!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Yes, and I juust reread all the posts.

NEITHER POSTER WAS BEING DEROGATORY towards Roo
Disagree. Very derogatory.
Of course they were. That's the way you wanted to read them, because they enabled you to make a post about how unfair the posters were in being annoyed with Dermie and GT.

Try reading those posts without that preconcieved notion and you may get a totally different impression.

crowjelly
Club Player

Very nice of the Roo to let the Crow know personally.

Just letting u know that I'm excited to be ur captain this season & I'm looking forward to a big year ahead. Cheers Nick Riewoldt OptOut sms STOP to 0421268843

Car'n the Saints