Sam Newman has prostate cancer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Good luck brother!

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Thanks Docsaint.

GrumpyOne

Can't stand the egotistical self-centered pr1ck.

Wouldn't wish the Big C on anyone however.

Get well Sam, then get the hell of off my TV.

aussiejones
Club Player

" but did you ever notice teddy was 62 when he died and sammy is 62, they dont look anything alike in age sam just looks like hes hit 50. "

The wonders of plastic surgery

Sam has had heaps hence the 'startled look' as they have dragged his face back . Wheras EJ was au naturel!!

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

docsaint wrote:the fact is most men with prostate cancer die with the illness, not of it. Also 2 in 3 prostate cancers diagnosed will do nothing, but we don't know which ones. What we do know is that treatment has severe potential side effects which may be worse than the cancer.

We don't have the answer to SoopyGirls question, and if you asked 10 different doctors you will get 10 different answers. Same with treatment, the sugeons say sugery, the radiation oncologists say radiotherapy, some say hormone treatment, some say watchful waiting.

If you have symptoms such as poor stream ,dribbling, getting up at night etc or a family history then get checked. But as a GP we are advised not to routinely screen men without symptoms, and if they do request it we discuss the pros and cons and let the patient decide to protect ourselves medicolegally
Fantastic insight. Thank you.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
StSteven
Club Player

and if they do request it we discuss the pros and cons and let the patient decide to protect ourselves medicolegally

and what are the cons of having a check Doc, as it seems to me that knowing is half the battle.

saintm
Club Player

As part of the story on 60 Minutes tonight, Sam's doctors advised him that they are very confident that the cancer was restricted to his prostate and his surgery was a success.

Herald Sun link below to article - Doctors say Sam Newman's prostate cancer is contained.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html

hAyES
Club Player

saintm wrote:As part of the story on 60 Minutes tonight, Sam's doctors advised him that they are very confident that the cancer was restricted to his prostate and his surgery was a success.

Herald Sun link below to article - Doctors say Sam Newman's prostate cancer is contained.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html
Very good to hear. Hopefully he's good to go for The Footy Show this year, wouldn't be the same without him.

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

yes, i was relieved when that thought that the cancer hadn't spread.

as far as i know, for obvious reasons he will probably sit out the first week on thursday.

good luck sammy! get well soon!! xoxo

Go saints in '09!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

docsaint, what about prostate checks if you have family history of prostate cancer, as I have?

FYI, I've had the finger and blood checks (ouch!!!), even though I'm still in my 30's.....purely though due to family history reasons.

Fair call eh???

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
GrumpyOne

saintspremiers wrote:docsaint, what about prostate checks if you have family history of prostate cancer, as I have?

FYI, I've had the finger and blood checks (ouch!!!), even though I'm still in my 30's.....purely though due to family history reasons.

Fair call eh???
I thought the finger check more ouchworthy than the blood check.

Should I be worried that the Doctor had both his hands on my shoulders when he did that check? :shock:

gO.SainTs
Club Player

Good news that the cancer hasn't spread :)

I watched the surgery on TV, and who would have known that one particular blood test would save his life.

I guess it will encourage more people to get checked up for it :)

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Can't stand the egotistical self-centered pr1ck.

Wouldn't wish the Big C on anyone however.

Get well Sam, then get the hell of off my TV.
I'm with you Grumps. Can't stand the vile prick, but don't wish ill health on anyone.
Edward, the reason Newman looks 50 not 62 is that he's spent a fair bit of time with his neighbourhood cosmetic surgeon. Just shows what a vain, egotistical tool he is.