Additions to St Kilda's Team of the Century

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:
saint edward wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:Pffft, Kosi is nowhere near the team of the century.

What, is he a better player than Cowboy, McNamara, Mohr, Lockett, Ditterich or Loewe?

Not by a long shot. Not even in the same ballpark.

B: Kevin (Cowboy) Neale, Verdun Howell, Nathan Burke
HB: Daryl Griffiths, Neil Roberts,Trevor Barker
C: Colin Watson, Ian Stewart, Nicky Winmar
HF: Darrel Baldock (Captain), Dave McNamara, Bill Mohr
F: Ross G. Smith, Tony Lockett, Alan Morrow
Foll: Carl Ditterich, Robert Harvey, Harold Bray
Int: Stewart Loewe, Lance Oswald, Barry Lawrence, Jim A. Ross
Coach: Allan Jeans

I reckon the following changes are possible:

Aussie Jones (226 games, twice All-Australian) for Daryl Griffiths

Lenny Hayes (170 games, B&F, Captain, twice All-Australian) for Jim Ross

just a query.
why is cowboy neale playing in the back pocket :?
wasnt he the full foward who kicked 5 in the 66 grand final :?

and alan morrow wasnt he a ruckman.
Cowboy Neale was a player who played with pretty much equal success at full back and full forward. However, he wasn't as accomplished a full-back as Howell or Lockett, so he slots in the third tall backman role.

Morrow was a gun; absolute workhorse of a ruckman who could pinch-hit up forward, but he is obviously not as good as Ditterich, but deserves a spot in the starting XVIII.
And why it is so dfficult comparing players from one era with another. Alan Morrow was a ruckman who was short - not even 6 foot tall (183cms). He would never get the chance to play in today's game.

With regards to Aussie Jones replacing Daryl Griffiths on a HBF. Daryl was actually more of a ruck-rover and I don't recall him playing too much as a hbf. Was an exceptionally fearless player and I do recall him being knocked out (i think in his first game) by Essendon's Bluey Shelton.

I would have thought that Eric Guy would have been on the HBF before Aussie.

I don't recall seeeing Jim Ross play so I cannot comment on the merits of him being replaced by Lenny? But over the years we have had some unbeleivable players of the Lenny type:-

Glen Elliot
Greg Burns
Geoff Cunningham
to name but a few.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Personally I love Aussie Jones....

.....But a mile of any team St Kilda team of the century.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:Maybe in 4 years after another few B&F's, Riewoldt would push for selection, but no to hayes, and definitely no to Dal Santo (extremely overrated player).
I think this is the most sensible post I've seen in ages. Roo is definitly on his way, and while Dal has the potential, he is a long long way off being considered.

Carpe Diem
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Personally I love Aussie Jones....

According to my grandfather, he was a better player than Griffiths and at least as good as Ross ...

So on that basis he's worthy of a spot in the team.

Played 226 games for the club and won a couple of All-Australians. One of the better running backmen of his era.

Would be definitely in consideration

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
Spinner wrote:Personally I love Aussie Jones....

According to my grandfather, he was a better player than Griffiths and at least as good as Ross ...

So on that basis he's worthy of a spot in the team.

Played 226 games for the club and won a couple of All-Australians. One of the better running backmen of his era.

Would be definitely in consideration
Do you reckon the number of games played in the more current eras are insignificant when comparing players that played decades ago?

Players on average seem to play more games these days....

Legends like Coleman and Boldock only played 100 or so games.....

Also, in response, I didnt see, (nor know much about those other players) so cant really compare....I just can't see Aussie being in the best 22 St Kilda players of an entire decade.....His fantastic seasons of footy were backed up by just as many poor ones.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Roo would be the only one to be in concideration his performance in winning Trevor barker medals is enough to put him in that team (scary thing is hes still younge enuff to achive more ) the thing about great footy players is the longer they are out of the game the greater their exploits in the game were, cause you are less liklyto remember the dodgy games where they had a shocker but can recall evry great game that the did super human stuff . come the time when Roo has been retired aslong as the likes of big carl cowboy or Doc i think most of us would of forgot his poor goal kicking of the recent seasons and will remember him as the greatest mark and the most dominant forward so i would not at all be suprised if Roo one day is regarded our greatest player EVER

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/