Armitage and mini

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

yep, i liked what saw of armo LAST year. he looked the goods.

but then its sometimes up to the player, how they go from there,

plenty of players have the talent, the next bits are discipline and work ethic

IMO, thats why I so respect guys like nathan burke, andrew thompson etc who worked and worked and worked to become champions, i'd say nothing was gifted to him.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

With McQualter, if there was a long term injury and a rookie to be promoted, I believe he is a long way behind Eddy at this stage.

congorozides
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:Nup.

McQualter doesn't have the assets. No pace, strength, kicking penetration, height or goal kicking ability.
same was said about burke...

IMO burke would have never made AFL football if he played these days. coaches would not tolerate his disposal despite his endeavour. you need to hit targtes 80% these days. he was around 40%.

rexy
SS Life Member

Half way through 06 I thought that mini was going to make it, we played Richmond and I thought he had his best game for the club, not in posession but in quality of posession, work rate with and without the ball, decision making and influence on the game. I genuinely thought that he would become the type of player who ran hard into space like Harvey does to provide options for 4 quarters.

He was dropped the next week and did not play again that year! Either I know nothing or IMO that was the stage that he started going backwards (both are possible realities). Interestingly Fiora was dropped after the same game or soon after and also did not play in the finals in 06 yet was able to grab his chances last year under a new coach.

Armo looks to be a gun in the making, would like to see him in some space so I could see what his best disposal looks like as it looks like his weakest point at the moment.

Maybe this year?
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:Nup.

McQualter doesn't have the assets. No pace, strength, kicking penetration, height or goal kicking ability.
same was said about burke...

IMO burke would have never made AFL football if he played these days. coaches would not tolerate his disposal despite his endeavour. you need to hit targtes 80% these days. he was around 40%.
was talking to an AFL development coach in a state outside victoria and said he was genuinely frustrated with the way the AFL treated some talent.

they were good with the kids but come 15 to 17 they AFL were really missing out on a lot of talent and he believed a lot of stars from the 60 to 90s would never make it through the AFL process today...

got to wonder about tony lockett, nathan burke, tony shaw, steven sziller, andrew thompson, greg williams, brett rattan, andrew mckay etc etc who don't follow the prototype, (I know you'll all bag shaw, williams and ratten, but they are one who probably would fall through the cracks now)

mckay would be too short for a KPP, lockett would fail every BMI test, endurance, speed, etc, burke, shaw, sziller, williams were all dead slow, mckay who would be one of the outstanding CHBs of the 90s, would be too skinny and too small (not withstanding his strength would be a match for most bigger players and his skill outstanding)

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Armo has shown desperation and a bit of mongrel, Mini has shown very little..a one-paced small is going to struggle.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:With McQualter, if there was a long term injury and a rookie to be promoted, I believe he is a long way behind Eddy at this stage.
Spot on Bazza... Eddy has to be no.1 cab off the rank, with Miles and Chivers looking good too.

I always thought Mini was quite ordinary, never did anything IMO to suggest he could be an important part of the midfield.

With next year's draft supposedly quite solid (at this very early stage) I'd imagine that he has his work cut out to be promoted ahead of Eddy & co as well as take a spot ahead of a draftee (with potentially more upside).

Depending on how Armo goes this weekend, he'd almost be a starter for round 1. Loved his toughness from the word go, he's got some miles in his legs now & gives us another Lenny Hayes like presence.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Mini...has this year to shine...good luck to him..

Armo has already started to shine.

Lots to love....and one aspect I love is that he can kick a long goal.... :)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Animal Enclosure wrote:Spot on Bazza... Eddy has to be no.1 cab off the rank, with Miles and Chivers looking good too.
And should be promoted so hopefully one day our half-back line will contain the following......

Eddy Maguire King

:D

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

ahh .. the million dollar question .. how does a recruit who shows promise in the first year or 2 go backwards in subsequent years ..

Mini was a first round pick, so was Brooks, and Beetham .. all confined to the scrap heap.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
nicola69
Club Player

I'll add to the chorus for Armageddon. Bit of Greg Burns, bit of Mick Dwyer, bit of Dal. He looks like a 200 gamer so far this year. Got to watch his weight - will have to work on this for the next 10-13 years of his career.

Best of luck for Mini. He could still make it but it will be near impossible from here. But no-one can take away from him the fact that he has worn the red, black and white as a senior player. He is a very priviledged sportsman and has played AFL at the highest level. His name is permanently in the clubs records with all the other blokes who have made the grade, even if it was only for one game...

regards to all and thanks for the topics 'Ainters have provided on intra-club, training and practice matches. Really appreciate it.

we exist on a brane - thank f*** for StK
Zippy
Club Player

Zed wrote:ahh .. the million dollar question .. how does a recruit who shows promise in the first year or 2 go backwards in subsequent years ..

Mini was a first round pick, so was Brooks, and Beetham .. all confined to the scrap heap.
Brooks had talent, but never really came back after his knee problems. Plus he didn't really seem aggressive/keen enough to cut it at AFL level.

Beetham didn't have the lungs for it, IMHO.

Mini I liked the look of - seemed a quality young midfielder when he first showed up. I have no idea how he's gone backwards like that.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€