Youth or Experience

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Were does he play then? He would be in the back half along with the above players. You will have Max,Chips and Goose as the talls so that leaves 3 spots. Gram youd think is a certainty along with Raph. Gilbert will play across there to. Geary wont rotate in the midfield with Dal Hayes Joey Ball HARVS X Birss Sneider and Armitage in front of him.
he is part of a midfield rotation, works off half back flank, allowing gram to play on the wing.

Inside midfield: Hayes, ball, harvey, dal santo, x
Outside midfield: joey, gram, fizz, geary,

Its all about balance. You can't have your midfield rotation chock full of inside mids like armo, especially the way the game is played these days. You also have to remember that goose and BJ are no certanties and therefore the likes of chips and raph will not be used as rebounders in the early section of the year. Thus a reasonably quickly ball magnet who can read the play and set things up is a must. Therefore I suggest geary will get a game.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Harvey Dal and X are both types of mids out and inside and you could argue that a fit Ball runs and carries as well as anyone. Geary just doesnt have that one outstanding quality to his game that puts him ahead of a host of others. He hasnt got explosive speed his disposal is good at best and his shut down ability is yet to be seen. Thats were Armitage has the upper hand his penertrating left foot , excellent clearance work and body work add to this that he is already a AFL quality tackler.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

For Round 1...with no Goose, Attard or Baker...and possibly no BJ...I would think Geary would have an excellent chance of playing in the backline.

Geary Max Gilbert

Gram S Fisher Raph/Blake

Armo will not play defence....as Geary is more suited to the role.

Armo is also a strong chance but the midfield is now looking tough to break into......how fit Ball is may be a factor in his selection.

RL may well have to choose between Armo and Birss...Armo with more talent but with RL having the confidence in Birss to performa shut down role.

Making it harder for Armo is that C Gardiner, Schneider and Milne may force X from the forward line into the midfield group. Fizz will be keen to hang onto his spot as well.

Our Round 1 22 is going to bea very tough call.....and even tougher if and when we ever geta chance to selecta best 22.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Harvey Dal and X are both types of mids out and inside and you could argue that a fit Ball runs and carries as well as anyone. Geary just doesnt have that one outstanding quality to his game that puts him ahead of a host of others. He hasnt got explosive speed his disposal is good at best and his shut down ability is yet to be seen. Thats were Armitage has the upper hand his penertrating left foot , excellent clearance work and body work add to this that he is already a AFL quality tackler.
can play down back, thats one quality that will put him ahead of everyone else. He will push for selection as a running back that will work into the midfield rotation. Armo is a pure midfielder. As has been already mentioned, the midfield is a hard one to crack but should he keep showing this form and fitness he will push for selection

FQF
In richo I trust

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
CURLY wrote:Harvey Dal and X are both types of mids out and inside and you could argue that a fit Ball runs and carries as well as anyone. Geary just doesnt have that one outstanding quality to his game that puts him ahead of a host of others. He hasnt got explosive speed his disposal is good at best and his shut down ability is yet to be seen. Thats were Armitage has the upper hand his penertrating left foot , excellent clearance work and body work add to this that he is already a AFL quality tackler.
can play down back, thats one quality that will put him ahead of everyone else. He will push for selection as a running back that will work into the midfield rotation. Armo is a pure midfielder. As has been already mentioned, the midfield is a hard one to crack but should he keep showing this form and fitness he will push for selection
You could argue Geelong play a team of midfielders other than there key position players. Armitage can play forward and defanatly could be used across half back.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Solar wrote:
You could argue Geelong play a team of midfielders other than there key position players. Armitage can play forward and defanatly could be used across half back.
of course but alot of their rotations come from players such as stokes etc. who play either forward or back and work onto the ball. Understand that this is not armo v geary for a spot in the round 1 team. Its pick the best players for the best spots. geary played all year as a running back for the scorps and therefore is a natural option for that running HBF. With baker, BJ both out and goose not certain then there is a spot there for a reliable small back that can rebound the ball.

Armatage looks great, does some hard work and has showed out the likes of fiora and birss in the past couple of games. But he's not a running back, no matter how much you jump up and down. Its apples and oranges.

FQF
In richo I trust

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Hodge plays a lot of his football across half back were he uses his hardness and penertrating kick to set up play. Geary doesnt have the pace to play the running back role. You cant have him and Gram playing attacking roles. Geary was lucky he wasnt pitted against Chapman on Saturday.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Hodge plays a lot of his football across half back were he uses his hardness and penertrating kick to set up play. Geary doesnt have the pace to play the running back role. You cant have him and Gram playing attacking roles. Geary was lucky he wasnt pitted against Chapman on Saturday.
geary isn't slow and his ability to read the play means he can play the running back role. No matter how much I love fish, geary has passed him in my eyes. We played both fish and gram last year, not sure why we can't just swap geary for fish, not big loss.

btw armo isn't close to hodge at present, 2 good NAB cup games does not make a player, no matter what kudos he had when he was drafted. He struggled with his fitness last year and really needs to push his claims but if he does it will be as a pure midfielder. Geary will be played as a small back pocket, teach him the ropes by running him with the small forwards.

FQF
In richo I trust

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

A little off topic but a bigger problem, if we call it that, is going to be selecting a Round 6-7-8 team, when (injuries/suspensions permitting) we will definitely have G, BJ, Goose, Bakes, all firing, fit and ready to reclaim their possies.

What a magnificent predicament it could be.

Casey should clearly benefit from this year's crop, because what I've seen so far I'm very impressed with our second and third tier players.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
CURLY wrote:Hodge plays a lot of his football across half back were he uses his hardness and penertrating kick to set up play. Geary doesnt have the pace to play the running back role. You cant have him and Gram playing attacking roles. Geary was lucky he wasnt pitted against Chapman on Saturday.
geary isn't slow and his ability to read the play means he can play the running back role. No matter how much I love fish, geary has passed him in my eyes. We played both fish and gram last year, not sure why we can't just swap geary for fish, not big loss.

btw armo isn't close to hodge at present, 2 good NAB cup games does not make a player, no matter what kudos he had when he was drafted. He struggled with his fitness last year and really needs to push his claims but if he does it will be as a pure midfielder. Geary will be played as a small back pocket, teach him the ropes by running him with the small forwards.
You say 2 good NAB doesnt make a player but yet your pumping up Geary on the back of this. If Geary played like he did on Didak Chapman Ebert or numerous others hed have 6 goals kicked on him.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Solar wrote:

You say 2 good NAB doesnt make a player but yet your pumping up Geary on the back of this. If Geary played like he did on Didak Chapman Ebert or numerous others hed have 6 goals kicked on him.
not just pumping him up off 2 good NAB games, I've been pumping him up all last season after a great season for the scorps at HB that ended up with him being elevated and unlucky not to get a debut in round 22. But don't let facts get in the way of a good argument ....

btw you have chosen three of the best lead up medium forwards in the game, I wouldn't put an attard on any of those except perhaps didak, and I see geary playing attards role but with more rebound. See I would play him more on davis then a o'keefe in round 1 for instance.

FQF
In richo I trust

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Geary is playing a role that you cant help get possesions, running virtually unaccountable across half back. His disposal is far from that of a play maker and lacks penertration. He coughed the ball up more than a few times on Saturday with panick driven handball. Playing his role his efficently must be 90% plus.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Geary is playing a role that you cant help get possesions, running virtually unaccountable across half back. His disposal is far from that of a play maker and lacks penertration. He coughed the ball up more than a few times on Saturday with panick driven handball. Playing his role his efficently must be 90% plus.
had a 83% effecency rate on saturday compared to 67% for armo

not bad

who did armo pick up?

lets be honest, both are completely different players and geary is playing very well in the position he is picked for.

FQF
In richo I trust