JAMES GWILT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sam23
SS Life Member

Not good enough imo.

Goddard.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

I am a fan of Gwilts, and think he is often unfairly criticised around here abit... He was picked as a smokey with the idea of giving him time.. Sure, he hasnt set the world on fire yet, but he has all the right attributes to do so.. He has a great body for the game, and good overhead skills.. His kicking is one of the best at the club..

In the 05 final against the swans, which we won at the G in the rain, Gwilt ran in after a bounce and sent a swans player (Jude Bolton?) into next week with a perfect bump.. Since then he has only used it a few times, but the point is, the kid has serious strength, and hits bloody hard.. He doesnt use it enough.. Aside fom 1 or 2 of the big guys at the club, Gwilt would be the player i'd avoid most in a shirtfront option..

Hopefully this year he puts all his attributes together and comes good.. As mentioned earlier, i believe he has the physicality and strength to intimidate, and like Sammy, scare the opposition.. Just has to have the confidence and work ethic..

yipper
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:I am a fan of Gwilts, and think he is often unfairly criticised around here abit... He was picked as a smokey with the idea of giving him time.. Sure, he hasnt set the world on fire yet, but he has all the right attributes to do so.. He has a great body for the game, and good overhead skills.. His kicking is one of the best at the club..

In the 05 final against the swans, which we won at the G in the rain, Gwilt ran in after a bounce and sent a swans player (Jude Bolton?) into next week with a perfect bump.. Since then he has only used it a few times, but the point is, the kid has serious strength, and hits bloody hard.. He doesnt use it enough.. Aside fom 1 or 2 of the big guys at the club, Gwilt would be the player i'd avoid most in a shirtfront option..

Hopefully this year he puts all his attributes together and comes good.. As mentioned earlier, i believe he has the physicality and strength to intimidate, and like Sammy, scare the opposition.. Just has to have the confidence and work ethic..
Totally agree with this. The opportunity is there for Gwilt to step into the Hamill like enforcer role. Play a bit like Byron Pickett - be the physical presence that intimidates the opposition. And given that he is a great kick - look for him to snare 2 -3 goals each week while protecting Roos back!! I think he is being groomed as a defender - and maybe a similar role can be played down back.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

yipper wrote:
Sobraz wrote: ...

Totally agree with this. The opportunity is there for Gwilt to step into the Hamill like enforcer role. Play a bit like Byron Pickett - be the physical presence that intimidates the opposition. And given that he is a great kick - look for him to snare 2 -3 goals each week while protecting Roos back!! I think he is being groomed as a defender - and maybe a similar role can be played down back.
Honestly, I think that Gwilt could be anything. He's got the combination of attributes that in the right circumstances can have a case made for them just about anywhere on the ground.

The problem for Gwilt is confidence. He never looked comfortable last year, and without that confidence and drive, he's not going to be able to take an opportunity when it comes and make whatever position it is his own.

Given age and where he is on the development curve, if he gets a chance this year, he really needs to grab it with both hands, as otherwise he's of that age where it's unlikely someone takes a punt on him over an 18 year old if he can't make it as a Saint. And this is a tough list to find those opportunities on. He certainly has zero trade value.

I won't be at all surprised if Gwilt comes roaring out of nowhere to be the Saints feelgood story of '08, but I'll be even less surprised if seasons end sees him consigned to the AFL scrapheap.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
hotdish
Club Player

Looking over Gwilt's stats this year, he is going to achieve career highs in pretty much every statistical category.

Congrats James - not bad for a GOP in a top team, and for someone who is often maligned on this site!

Check his stats out at:

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/play ... Gwilt.html

His tackling numbers are very impressive!