Slogans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

At primary school in the early 70s we use to use

"Waltzing Matilda, hooray for St. Kilda"

Any chance the marketing folk may want to run with that one? 11/12ths of the playground substituted a word for "hooray" so we may need to be strong there.

ctqs
Club Player

Yes, I remember that. There was also something about a lady in the grass with an awkwardly-placed garden implement. Also something about a member of the constabulary, who had a lot of hair on a certain part of his anatomy, entering the picture.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we could use it for the heritage round?

markp
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:I know that's done in the right spirit, but I was trying to get a little more mongrel into it rather than self-deprecating humour or put downs.
I think 'be a saint or go to hell' is probably better than anything we've had recently, but I actually agree with your earlier comment about having nothing, or a perennial like FQF or 'Go the mighty Saints 2008' ...keep it simple I says

...and at my school it was boo for St. Kilda... mongrels :(

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

saint 08

Sound familiar?

GrumpyOne

ctqs wrote:Yes, I remember that. There was also something about a lady in the grass with an awkwardly-placed garden implement.
A hoe?

esaint66
SS Life Member

GrumpyOne wrote:
ctqs wrote:Yes, I remember that. There was also something about a lady in the grass with an awkwardly-placed garden implement.
A hoe?

from memory it was a dagger. :lol:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

ive always likes
"kick it long aviod the clangers but if in doubt just kick it to bangers! "

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

St.Kilda
Win nervously
Lose tragically

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
ctqs wrote:If you're not a Saint, go to hell.
Be a Saint or go to hell.
And if you barrack for the Saints, you spend a lot of time in Hell.
Think its called pugatory...sort of somewhere between heaven and hell..ain't that the frigin truth :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Think its called pugatory...sort of somewhere between heaven and hell..ain't that the frigin truth :roll:
Nope, early 00's was definitely hell :shock: :shock:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
esaint66
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

agreed :P

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint edward wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

You can tell you guys are young. The mid eighties was the worst football any side has played in the last 30 years.

esaint66
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
saint edward wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

You can tell you guys are young. The mid eighties was the worst football any side has played in the last 30 years.

yeah spot on haha :lol:

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saint edward wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

83-86- "the glory years".

Good call plugger66... kids these days. Although, because we'd had a sniff of success in 97 and some promise in 98 I think the latter fall was a little harder to take. In 83-86 I think we were still revered as the idiot cousin in the VFL that no one really took seriously but were happy to have a laugh with.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Early 00's?? Looooooxury!!! Heres a history lesson kids..

*In the mid 80's there were no draft picks to play for

*In the mid 80s (1985) we lost Rounds 1-3 by over 100 points EACH

*In the mid-80s we won the wooden spoon FOUR YEARS in a row, winning a total of 17 games in the time

*In the mid 80's it actually rained in Melbourne in winter. You stood out in the weather and if it rained you saw bugger all of the game because you were allowed to bring in and use golf umbrellas. Even if you used an umbrella you still got wet cos the guy behind you always lowered his just after you did, resulting in a litre of water down the back of your neck

* In the mid 80's, unless you had a reserved seat or got to the ground at 11.00am, the only time you had a seat at a game was when we played at VFL Park or the G

* In the mid 80's half our senior list got trashed after the game, every week, even if we'd just been towelled

*In the mid 80's, we didnt have Robert Harvey and Plugger was just another young angry kid with promise.

And, with apologies to Monty Python...you tell that to the kids of today and they dooont believe you :roll: 8-) :wink:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Hang on guys they were rugged years in the mid eighties but it wasn't all bad...

The great Trevor Barker, Mad Dog Muir,Greg Burns & Joffa Cunninham belting the bgezzus out of everyone who got in their way,Nicky Wimar putting it to plugger lace out...the animal enclosure...the social club...the voice of Moorabbin... celebrating any win like a grand final....and think of the character building you received during this period you ungrateful basstards :x

Ahhh the memories..one fans hell can be aonthers little glimpse of heaven....and those little glimpses were pure gold.. :twisted:

Sigh :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

THE SAINTS ARE COMING.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
linz
Club Player

THE TIME IS NOW!!

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Worse than 95-96 Fitzroy? Must have been really rotten, then!

Anyway, I really hope we don't go with a slogan, and if we can avoid the laughable ads that usually accompany membership drives, I'll be happy too.

Whoever wrote that song we'e used recently should be ashamed: "'cause we're the Saints, the time is now, join us now...................." :oops: :roll:

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

saint66au wrote:Early 00's?? Looooooxury!!! Heres a history lesson kids..

*In the mid 80's there were no draft picks to play for

*In the mid 80s (1985) we lost Rounds 1-3 by over 100 points EACH

*In the mid-80s we won the wooden spoon FOUR YEARS in a row, winning a total of 17 games in the time

*In the mid 80's it actually rained in Melbourne in winter. You stood out in the weather and if it rained you saw bugger all of the game because you were allowed to bring in and use golf umbrellas. Even if you used an umbrella you still got wet cos the guy behind you always lowered his just after you did, resulting in a litre of water down the back of your neck

* In the mid 80's, unless you had a reserved seat or got to the ground at 11.00am, the only time you had a seat at a game was when we played at VFL Park or the G

* In the mid 80's half our senior list got trashed after the game, every week, even if we'd just been towelled

*In the mid 80's, we didnt have Robert Harvey and Plugger was just another young angry kid with promise.

And, with apologies to Monty Python...you tell that to the kids of today and they dooont believe you :roll: 8-) :wink:

Spot on with those points and memories ...........

Yes we were just a shade ordinary back then :wink: but they were good days!

Why would you want to support anyone else? To supoort anyone else would have been boring!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Anyway, I really hope we don't go with a slogan, and if we can avoid the laughable ads that usually accompany membership drives, I'll be happy too.

Whoever wrote that song we'e used recently should be ashamed: "'cause we're the Saints, the time is now, join us now...................." :oops: :roll:
Yes worse because it went for 4 years.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
riccardo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes worse because it went for 4 years.
we can throw in

last in 79
second last in 80
third last in 81
second last in 82

to help set up a fairly miserable decade.

If it wasn't for that chubby angry guy (had a bad haircut from memory - name?) that kicked a few in 87 to help us win 6 out of our last 8 we may have had 5 on the trot.

The Peanut
Club Player

saint patrick wrote:
• The great Trevor Barker,
• Mad Dog Muir, Greg Burns & Joffa Cunninham belting the bgezzus out of everyone who got in their way,
• Nicky Winmar putting it to plugger lace out...
• The animal enclosure...
• The social club...
• The voice of Moorabbin...
• Celebrating any win like a grand final....

Sometimes our thirst for success and professionalism muddies the water of what footy and some of our rich memories were all about ... from a big steak and eggs supplied to the players before the game, being entertained by the witty characters bellowing out, the fights, drinking warm beer and scoffing down half cooked hot dogs and cold pies to now ... worlds best practice everything and watching the players who had a prescribed health breakfast under the roof of the dome ... and then the replay on crisp widescreen tv's etc etc

It's no use carrying on about the past but an occasional reminder is very nice ...

Baldock Rules
Club Player

saint patrick wrote:Hang on guys they were rugged years in the mid eighties but it wasn't all bad...

The great Trevor Barker, Mad Dog Muir,Greg Burns & Joffa Cunninham belting the bgezzus out of everyone who got in their way,Nicky Wimar putting it to plugger lace out...the animal enclosure...the social club...the voice of Moorabbin... celebrating any win like a grand final....and think of the character building you received during this period you ungrateful basstards :x

Ahhh the memories..one fans hell can be aonthers little glimpse of heaven....and those little glimpses were pure gold.. :twisted:

Almost brought a tear to my eye Pat.

You are so right

Part of the heart and soul of this club forged from the pain of this era.

Some great memories. :)

There are freaks and freaks and Baldock was both of those.