Brilliant interview with Ross Lyon on 3AW

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Interesting and informative interview....

Also have never heard Ross happier......which to me is perhaps a hidden message in that he probably now believes he has things under control, or at least going down the path that he wanted.

Contrast this with grumpy ross not long after he started.

I have heard from a number of sources that Ross was furious about a few things not long after he staterd and in particular the player fitness and conditioning side of things...and that ross was pretty proactive in letting the Board know what ares needed to be addressed...and quickly.

Add to this after two years derafting/recruiting and ross is probably much happier with the structure and balance of his list.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Interesting and informative interview....

Also have never heard Ross happier......which to me is perhaps a hidden message in that he probably now believes he has things under control, or at least going down the path that he wanted.

Contrast this with grumpy ross not long after he started.

I have heard from a number of sources that Ross was furious about a few things not long after he staterd and in particular the player fitness and conditioning side of things...and that ross was pretty proactive in letting the Board know what ares needed to be addressed...and quickly.

Add to this after two years derafting/recruiting and ross is probably much happier with the structure and balance of his list.
He sounds pretty much the same to me and that is pretty boring but I dont care as long as he can coach.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

He sounds pretty much the same to me and that is pretty boring but I dont care as long as he can coach.
Most of the interviews I have heard he has often given the impression that it was the last place he wanted to be......and normally gave short and sharp answers....often bordering on being a smart arse and dismissive of the journos....

Gaining information from him was a hard task tfor journos,,,, a bit like a dentist pulling teeth.

Whereas in this interview he came across to me as very relaxed and talkative...volunteering information freely and over a long period. his answeres were also more detailed than they often where in the past.

JeffDunne

saintsRrising wrote:I have heard from a number of sources that Ross was furious about a few things not long after he staterd and in particular the player fitness and conditioning side of things...and that ross was pretty proactive in letting the Board know what ares needed to be addressed...and quickly.
I thought the board were aware of the problems given they had just sacked the coach.

I'm sure Ross was disappointed when he found the promises from the board in revamping the football department were nothing more than that. I know I was.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I guess JD that Ross had just left a club where fitness and conditioning were AFL's best practice....and then Ross experiencing first hand the reality of what was at St Kilda had Ross communicate to the Board that they needed to ramp things up.

Perhaps the previous Board were content to improve this area at a slower rate that Ross desired???

Or perhaps Ross having come from a club where it was at best practice levels knew how big a gap there was....and hence appreciated more the need to increase the rate of improvement.

Whichever it was including other aspects.....the feedback I was given was that Ross strongly communicated to the Board that the saints needed to increase our efforts in this area..
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 02 Feb 2008 3:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeffDunne

I'm pleased to hear it.

I'm sure there were lots of things that got under his skin in the first 12 months of his contract. He's probably as happy as anyone to see the back of the RB/GT saga and a board that seemed to put profit over performance.

To the top
SS Life Member

The old story.

Without profit you do not have performance.

And without performance you do not have profit.

Bit like the Warley Hospital at Phillip Island - a "not for profit" Company - but without turning a profit - and having a reserve of capital courtesy of the retention of some of that profit, good night Irene.

You need to make sure you have a reserve of fat on the bone - just in case performance and profit falter.

Because there are no guarantees in life!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
PS the link for 3AW is amongst the media links stickied above
just wish SEN had a better review/ replay. podcast system- what they do have isn't dated or named easily. and not put up in any order or within time.
sorry told a tall tale
this link has now been unstickied.
no media link thread. on front page :)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Interview soundsed alright to me, but every club is in the same position as us atm so I'm not going to get excited until we get some wins on the board...

And condolences to you and your family bratty, she sounds like a strong lady and I'm sure she will be missed dearly.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

found the thread with media links- when the season gets under way I will update sites that have changed/Moved.

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=28352

Under Saintsational Web FOrum
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

againt thank you for condolances.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The old story.

Bit like the Warley Hospital at Phillip Island - a "not for profit" Company - but without turning a profit - and having a reserve of capital courtesy of the retention of some of that profit, good night Irene.

You need to make sure you have a reserve of fat on the bone - just in case performance and profit falter.

Cheers for that and welcome back Kochy/Warren Buffett/Alan Kohler etc etc!

So how will the market go this year? :lol:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The old story.

Sounds like that wonderful episode of Yes Minister, where a hospital was spending so much on Administration they couldnt afford to have any patients 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

Wow!
what a great & positive interview.
The thing that grabbed me was RL's attitude and expectations re: luke ball.
RL said he ran a 21km time trial ahead of Dal Santo...
THat's pretty fantastic, any way you look at it.
Plus... expected to play 3 preseason games (i think)

Furthermore... interesting to note that Ross Lyon suggests that Dempster is expected to play against Sydney in Rd 1.

But most, importantly... RL feels like a real St Kilda Coach........

FANTASTIC!!!!

GO SAINTS IN 2008.

go saints!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

one of the better interviews i've heard from him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kickittokosi!!!! wrote:Wow!
RL said he ran a 21km time trial ahead of Dal Santo...
:shock:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Whichever it was including other aspects.....the feedback I was given was that Ross strongly communicated to the Board that the saints needed to increase our efforts in this area..
JeffDunne wrote:I'm pleased to hear it.

I'm sure there were lots of things that got under his skin in the first 12 months of his contract. He's probably as happy as anyone to see the back of the RB/GT saga and a board that seemed to put profit over performance.

From toaday's Auastralian
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 32,00.html

"The reality is that (coach) Ross Lyon drove a lot of the thinking for change last year and worked on the structure," Fraser said. "And with the new Footy First board, we've been able to implement the structure after identifying where we thought our weaknesses were last year."