Fremantle being Fremantle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

saint edward wrote:
One day I will tell you all about the philosophy of a rugby scrum

quite simple actually the tighthead loose head props, hooker, 2 locks, 2 flankers and the number eight all pack in and push to win the ball :D
No, thats Rugby Union.

In League the scrum is a mere formality, only once in 5 years have I seen the ball go the way of the team not awarded it (which is a penalty), in an English Super League game.

League haters: are you jealous of me? I've seen two of my three teams I'm a member of win a GF: Storm and Victory. Saints need to catch up, now.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:Who cares if they train in full length ball gowns,
Now that's something I'd like to see. As I work spitting distance from Fremantle Oval, I'd definitely go and have a look.

As for Rugby. Rugby Schmugby. League, Union, whatever. They're both as interesting as watching Carlton train. Other names I have for rugby are Sniffy Ball and Thugby. Can't see why they call it football. Every time they get the ball they kick it out of bounds on purpose. Must be good to play, but it's as boring as hell to watch.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Now that's something I'd like to see. As I work spitting distance from Fremantle Oval, I'd definitely go and have a look.

As for Rugby. Rugby Schmugby. League, Union, whatever. They're both as interesting as watching Carlton train. Other names I have for rugby are Sniffy Ball and Thugby. Can't see why they call it football. Every time they get the ball they kick it out of bounds on purpose. Must be good to play, but it's as boring as hell to watch.
Its a penalty to go out of play in League, just as it is in AFL. Again, you are thinking of Union.

AFL has its fair share of dire spectacles: Hawthorn Vs St Kilda, Richmond Vs Adelaide any game Sydney plays, etc.

As for boring, I found this years GF suitably exciting, anyway.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Its a penalty to go out of play in League, just as it is in AFL. Again, you are thinking of Union.

AFL has its fair share of dire spectacles: Hawthorn Vs St Kilda, Richmond Vs Adelaide any game Sydney plays, etc.

As for boring, I found this years GF suitably exciting, anyway.

What's the attraction Ric? I just don't see it. Not knowing the rules doesn't help, but it just doesn't grab me as a spectacle.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I find Rugby League exciting. Its more hard hitting than AFL, so I guess you could say it satisfies my bloodlust to a certain extent! :wink:

I enjoy it as a spectacle, I'm not trying to say its a bad thing if you don't, just don't dismiss it out of hand because you grew up with something different, thats it.

GrumpyOne

riccardo wrote:I find Rugby League exciting. Its more hard hitting than AFL, so I guess you could say it satisfies my bloodlust to a certain extent! :wink:

I enjoy it as a spectacle, I'm not trying to say its a bad thing if you don't, just don't dismiss it out of hand because you grew up with something different, thats it.
One man built like a brick sh1thouse runs into a pack of men built like brick sh1thouses..... Skill Level Zero.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
riccardo wrote:I find Rugby League exciting. Its more hard hitting than AFL, so I guess you could say it satisfies my bloodlust to a certain extent! :wink:

One man built like a brick sh1thouse runs into a pack of men built like brick sh1thouses..... Skill Level Zero.
Yep, that's how it seems to me as well. Another League enthusiast I know explained that he liked it because of the violence. The bloodlust thing. Fair enough, I can understand the attraction, but there must be more to it than that. There must be tactical moves and reading the play skills that I just don't see because I don't know the rules.
But yep, it just looks like a series of collisions between one bloke with big legs and a short neck and a bunch of others. And they put that silly little plastic thing on the ground to kick with. Football is such a wrong name for it. I still prefer sniffy-ball.

esaint66
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:I still prefer sniffy-ball.

whats sniffy ball? :shock:

Zippy
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

Yep, that's how it seems to me as well. Another League enthusiast I know explained that he liked it because of the violence. The bloodlust thing. Fair enough, I can understand the attraction, but there must be more to it than that. There must be tactical moves and reading the play skills that I just don't see because I don't know the rules.
But yep, it just looks like a series of collisions between one bloke with big legs and a short neck and a bunch of others. And they put that silly little plastic thing on the ground to kick with. Football is such a wrong name for it. I still prefer sniffy-ball.
There are tactics and skills in most sports. Aussie Rules has a lot of physicality too (I see a lot of happiness in the crowd if one of our guys dishes out a good bump or tackle), and Aussie Rules isn't the most skill-focussed sport in the world. Soccer has a far higher bias towards skills and very little physicality, for instance. Cricket even more so.

The sport with the highest level of skill/tactics and lowest level of physicality is chess, and it's not much of a spectator sport.
On the bright side, I doubt too many players suffer season-ending injuries . . .

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€