Prolong the G-Train?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spiral2
Club Player

I can see the merits of both views, especially for the resting side of the argument if G train picks up some niggles during the season, which is highly likely.
what about if we have an interstate final? are everyone's thoughts the same?

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Very interesting OP.

Got to say, I'll be interested to see how Gehrig plays in '08, he has always been a player who's game is very much decided in hsi own head, and has clearly been in decline for a couple of years. It makes you wonder whether there really is something beyond co-incedence to the drop off in prodcution when he travels.

That said, when switched on, he's still capable of dominating a game... but given where he's at career wise, and where he's at mentally, I think good management of Gehrig is crucial to getting the most out of the Saints.

Whether it be interstate or not, it'll be important to understand when he's not switched on, and having another option (when Gehrig is not switched on, his leads are lazy, he gives away free kicks and is a weakness in the forward line), and understanding when he is (he can still be the gamebreaker). To understand how to get him from A to B, and understanding that with a guy like Gehrig, there may be real benefit to just giving him a week off if there's a belief that Allen (or someone else) can play. It could well be the difference between winning and losing at least a couple of games... and the difference between playing and watching finals, or the difference between top 4 and top 8.

I agree with the sentiment of best 22 week in week out, but Gehrig isn't the same every week, and I think he's a player that if treated with respect could be better applied than he was in '07 by being rested at times.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:But now I see Gehrig's return as an opportunity for us to use him cleverly, and stretch opposition defences - by using him as our third tall forward
exactly. surely there is some way that a forward line containing roo, kosi and fraser could be made to work. it's not "rocket surgery" ffs

perhaps RL will have to put a few big prima donnas' noses out of joint to get it to function as a unit
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 07 Jan 2008 12:58pm, edited 2 times in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:G must play as the leading FF or not play at all.
didn't he give up that right when he "retired" a few months back?

fraser's "retirement" might be the best thing that ever happened to us because it forced us to think laterally about how we were going to put a score on the board this season without him.

still, it's nice to have him back. a season (or two) in the forward pocket alongside kosi won't do any harm to the big champion's ego i wouldn't think. he's a valued star and it is no real sledge on him

will take enormous pressure off him in reality and it's win\win for us

promises were probably made to kosi during fraser's "retirement" so it will be interesting to see how it pans out. wouldn't want to upset either kosi or fraser come to think of it.

i'm looking forward to it and it is good to have competition for places

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Teflon wrote:I also think Gerhig at times up fwd makes us very predictable and one dimensional.....one of the reasons I was looking forward to seeing Kosi at FF this year was to see how if at all that mixed things up for an opposition who wouldnt be used to our style with that fwd set up....particulalry as Gehrig wont be round for years to come IMO.
Well said. I was equally excited...

But now I see Gehrig's return as an opportunity for us to use him cleverly, and stretch opposition defences - by using him as our third tall forward.

As I said in the other thread, which team, apart from Geelong and WCE, has a defence which has can stretch three deep to cover Gehrig?
Id agree re the usage of gehrig and extend that to "when and where" we play and rest him...why not mix it up and prepare for the future along the way...

“Yeah….nah””