St Kilda-Gold Coast Proposal - The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:Selfishly, i would prefer the Saints to play all home games at Telstra Dome. My reserved seat is a great place to watch footy from.

However this would be quite a deal for the club, if we could limit our interstate travel, doubly so if they were to play back to back games there.

Rather than playing 6 games in completely hostile environments we would play 3 in hostile and 3 in a non-hostile environment.

All I know is that my Dad (he lives in Brissie) would be punching the air at the moment, a chance to see the Saints 3-4 times a year would be quite a suprise.
Great post, I agree with all of it, espectially the bits about travelling less, and the opportunity to have back to back games there.

4theluvoftheclub
Club Player

bob__71 wrote:why would we get paid for the crows freo or west coast or port moving their home games to the gold coast...and why would those teams be willing tomove their home games????
For the same reason the AFL moved them to play games in Tassie. They want game development in Qld, so it requires teams to accept that reality.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Does Sydney get paid to play at Manuka (a shyte ground)

bob__71
Club Player

All the games in tassie are/were either hawthorn or stkilda home games....what an odd thread

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

saint66au is correct in that it would reduce the value of a reserved seat or social club membership, as it only would give you access to 8 home games.

There would be the same number of games in Melbourne at other venues, but it is only home games where the benefits of your membership are applicable.

The proposal is a good one ...

Basically it is asking the AFL that we travel 6 times per year, with 3 of those trips to the Gold Coast.

In other words, half our away games are played at a pseudo home ground. If we can play alright up at Cararra, it would actually benefit us in a football sense, as it would cut our number of trips to Perth/Adelaide/Brisbane ...

All depends on the $$ involved too.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saint66au wrote:
I want to be able to do this ELEVEN times a year...not nine...getting in free to someone's elses home game is not the same
I still can't see the difference between our home games and our away games at Docklands.

Oh, except that the balloons that are sticky tapes around the joint are different colours.
You don't get it RF.

Saint66 is talking not about home ground advantage, more supporter benefits.

All Saints fans get screwed at "away" home games....basically it's still an away game - the other team has first dibs on virtually everything - best reserved seats, corporate hospitality and benefits to sponsors.

At OUR REAL home games we are the priority and have TD set up the way WE want.

Also, we Dana on board, that prick Collo should be kept more honest and our total revenue generated from home games at TD should be considerably more than under the RB board (I hope!!!)

Of course, Westaway's mob may have proposed this as a deseperate way to generate more revenue......IF our final membership tally for 2008 is say only 28K, those 2K lost members over this year equates to approx. $200K of lost revenue (mix of adult and kids members).......The Dawks posted a $3M profit by prostituting themselves to Tassie.....that result alone may be what has tempted Westaway.

IF we aren't realistic flag chances for 2009, it may be worth considering, although Tassie was a debacle for us onfield - we played like Shyte there.

IF we play like shyte at the Gold Coast, are we just reinventing the wheel???
We played like shiit last year at Docklands too.

I think it's a bit of a myth that we have some sort of advantage there. When we were winning there, we were a very good side. I think the ground we were winning at was more of a coincidence than a reason.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:Does Sydney get paid to play at Manuka (a shyte ground)
Every year they play an away game there against whoever is selling to them.

Its the only way that Manuka gets a crowd.

Saints94
SS Life Member

So we play 8 home games at T.D and 2-3 games up in the Gold Coast

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

8 homes games at TD
8 away games in Melbourne
3 home games at Cararra
3 away games interstate

So we have 16 games in Melbourne each year and 3 games at Cararra, which could be worth a million bucks a year to the club.

And we really only travel 3 times, probably once to Perth, once to Adelaide and once to Sydney.

If that was the proposal, then the board would be negligent not to consider it.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Oh When the Saints wrote:8 homes games at TD
3 home games at Cararra
3 away games interstate

So we have 16 games in Melbourne each year and 3 games at Cararra, which could be worth a million bucks a year to the club.

And we really only travel 3 times, probably once to Perth, once to Adelaide and once to Sydney.

i would accept that as long as i still get entry to 11 games on my membership.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Key comment from the article:
The Saints envisaged playing games at Carrara until the AFL had a team permanently based there.

In other words, this is a short-term thing on our part, and would be for 2 years or 3 at the most.

If we could make $3 million bucks over the next three years, it would help the club enormously.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Brilliant

Grimfang
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:Key comment from the article:
The Saints envisaged playing games at Carrara until the AFL had a team permanently based there.

In other words, this is a short-term thing on our part, and would be for 2 years or 3 at the most.

If we could make $3 million bucks over the next three years, it would help the club enormously.
It's also only if the Roos do not take up the offer to relocate.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
Saints94
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:
3 home games at Cararra
3 away games interstate

Same here

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
3 home games at Cararra
3 away games interstate

You would still get 11 games entry obviously, just like the Tassie deal, where 2 away games were designated as "home" games for membership purposes....otherwise the club would have to sell 8 or 9 game Melbourne memberships which would cut reveue significantly.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I would be all for it, but I would be afraid if the kanga's deal doesn't go ahead and we do this the AFL would turn it's attention to us to move there.

Idealy I would like 2 home games and 2 away games theres then two games interstate and the rest in Melbourne.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

ausfatcat wrote:I would be all for it, but I would be afraid if the kanga's deal doesn't go ahead and we do this the AFL would turn it's attention to us to move there.
difference being that if the Kangaroos defy the AFL and this new bus. plan of their's fails, the club ceases to exist... Saints can stand on our own 2 feet.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
stinger
Saintsational Legend

crazy idea.......as i said before if you whore yourself around you eventually get flowered....the afl would try to do us over same as they have put the squeeze on the roos......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bozza1980
Club Player

stinger wrote:crazy idea.......as i said before if you whore yourself around you eventually get flowered....the afl would try to do us over same as they have put the squeeze on the roos......
The protection from this should be the AFL's intention to create a team from scratch.

Obviously believing everything the AFL says is a dangerous business.

But if I'm not mistaken they have claimed they will set up a new club on the Gold Coast if the Roos reject their offer.

This would mean that we should have no fear and a definitive end date to our Gold Coast co-habitation.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
stinger wrote:crazy idea.......as i said before if you whore yourself around you eventually get flowered....the afl would try to do us over same as they have put the squeeze on the roos......
The protection from this should be the AFL's intention to create a team from scratch.

Obviously believing everything the AFL says is a dangerous business.

But if I'm not mistaken they have claimed they will set up a new club on the Gold Coast if the Roos reject their offer.

This would mean that we should have no fear and a definitive end date to our Gold Coast co-habitation.
i believe that if we push ahead with this...and the roos deal falls over...then before the afl set up another interstate team from scratch they would aply a blow torch to our private parts...anyone who thinks that that is something that would never happen doesn't know the afl.......lie down with dogs you get fleas mate........as certain as death and taxes.......

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

totally agree stinger that my real fear.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I agree, fair flowering dinkum, the new board have been there all of five minutes and are already considering playing three HOME GAMES transferred from THE DOME to the Gold Coast :roll: :roll: :roll:

Did the Tasmanian venture teach us nothing, well it taught the previous board, but obviously not the new one :roll:

For all we know those home games transferred from The Dome to Tassie might have cost us a higher position on the ladder and a premiership

Not to mention the total disregard for the members who buy an Annual Reserved Seat/Social Club membership, I actually buy two

The value for money is not there when you only play 8 games at the Dome, which is what happened two years ago due to the Commonwealth games

FFS had better be prepared for some hostility at the next AGM if they continue with this Gold Coast nonsense, FAIR DINKUM

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:

I agree, fair flowering dinkum, the new board have been there all of five minutes and are already considering playing three HOME GAMES transferred from THE DOME to the Gold Coast :roll: :roll: :roll:

Did the Tasmanian venture teach us nothing, well it taught the previous board, but obviously not the new one :roll:

For all we know those home games transferred from The Dome to Tassie might have cost us a higher position on the ladder and a premiership

Not to mention the total disregard for the members who buy an Annual Reserved Seat/Social Club membership, I actually buy two

The value for money is not there when you only play 8 games at the Dome, which is what happened two years ago due to the Commonwealth games

FFS had better be prepared for some hostility at the next AGM if they continue with this Gold Coast nonsense, FAIR DINKUM
barks and stinger agreeon a football related issue :shock: :shock:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I must have missed something...

Can anyone explain to me why WC, Freo, PA or the Crows would be willing to play one of their home matches against the Saints in Qld??

Apart from PA, the other three are all financially strong and so extra revenue is not a concern to them.

Playing an extra game in Qld ona short term a basis is not going to help them in any significant way to grow their membership base.

WC and the Crows already have many many thousands of people that they cannot accomodate as members anyway as their grounds are too small.

So while they have little to gain fincially or membersghip wise (and indeed on giving up a packed stadium od pre-sold reserved seats a lot to lose with 3 of the clubs) they havea lot to lose in terms of putting at risk 4 points by giving away a genuine home ground advantage.

Also remember that with Freo and WC they are not just hampering the chance of the 4 points aginst us....but the following week too as the extra travel to Qld return would affect them the following week as well. They would be affecting 8 premierships points......to help us. Dream on!!!

Be under no illusion....the Saints playing more games in Qld would mean a mix of:

*Home St Kilda matches in Qld..

*Matches against other Melbourne teams...ie Dogs, Roos, Dees..clubs that are desperate for cash (if we scarifice one home game and another club another that would mean two matches.

*Maybe just maybe the Lions home match being played at Carrara (as the Lions may wish to try and build their supporter base on the GC strip).

Giving up 2 home games could mean say 4 games at the GC if the Lions agree.

WC, Crows and Freo will not want to play "their" home games in Qld...why would they????
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 04 Dec 2007 12:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

i though you said i know sfa b4e..... :wink: