Congratulations Joel Smith

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

osama milne laden
Club Player

He heard the c**k crow at dawn and was off for the sheckles of gold

I'm still waiting for him to return the bike we gave him for rehab

'What do we eat? -Mussles
How do we eat 'em? - Alive'
stinger
Saintsational Legend

:wink: :lol: ....what pissed me off the most was that he was the only half decent player we got out of the plugger deal...all the rest were crap......so three years after we lost plugger we had zip to show for it...

hated him from that day ..........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
osama milne laden
Club Player

I just wish I could turn back time and buy the Lazar Vidovic autographed watch instead of the Smith one I got for my birthday in 1996 ...

'What do we eat? -Mussles
How do we eat 'em? - Alive'
GrumpyOne

osama milne laden wrote:I just wish I could turn back time and buy the Lazar Vidovic autographed watch instead of the Smith one I got for my birthday in 1996 ...
I think Lazar is still emailing me about buying one of his replica Rolexes.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

GrumpyOne wrote:I think Lazar is still emailing me about buying one of his replica Rolexes.
I just hope the big fella is better at spelling "Rolex" than the word "Magistrate"

:D

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Joel Smith was a jet before his knee injury.
Was skilled like Dal Santo.

There is footage (I think Ch 7) of a 19 YO Joel at STKFC training kicking a footy (like the kids do with a soccer ball or little bean bag) and controlling it - unbelievable!

I was at the G when he did his knee (pants I think crashed him low) and it is the worst knee buckle I have ever seen, lucky he came back at all.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:Joel Smith was a jet before his knee injury.

There is footage (I think Ch 7) of a 19 YO Joel at STKFC training kicking a footy (like the kids do with a soccer ball or little bean bag) and controlling it - unbelievable!

I was at the G when he did his knee (pants I think crashed him low) and it is the worst knee buckle I have ever seen, lucky he came back at all.
I was there as well that day, Richard Osborne fell across his knee, tragedy...

I still have the tape of the 96 semi final night series game where a very young Smith kicked a left foot goal to put us in front, Spud was commentating, one of my favourite all time highights.....

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm....

'Securing future after serious injury' or 'being loyal to a club of two years'

I think most of us would have made the same choice...So lay off the bloke, he did the right thing.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:Joel Smith was a jet before his knee injury.

no it was that prick ...ossio osmond....rolled on his leg.can't remember his exact name...same thing happened to him whilst he was at the swans....so he should have known better.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
GrumpyOne

stinger wrote: it was that prick ...ossio osmond.....
Alias the "Prince of Darkness", or Sharon's Hubbie?

I think the tickets for his Australian Tour go on sale soon.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Hmmm....

'Securing future after serious injury' or 'being loyal to a club of two years'

I think most of us would have made the same choice...So lay off the bloke, he did the right thing.
concur

pretty sure we offered him to pay for his surgery rehab and something reasonable for a player.

hawks offered him a massive wage for someone who might never play again.

it was a risk and not sure it paid off for the hawks. either way I would have done the same as joel smith.

Smith, brown, jones and lappin were to be the future midfield of the saints :(

anyone remember brown destroying hird in 98? 40 possessions such that sheeds had to put hird to tag brown...

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:anyone remember brown destroying hird in 98? 40 possessions such that sheeds had to put hird to tag brown...
I think that was in 97 when Brown kicked 3 goals and had 25 possessions against essendon

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:anyone remember brown destroying hird in 98? 40 possessions such that sheeds had to put hird to tag brown...
I think that was in 97 when Brown kicked 3 goals and had 25 possessions against essendon
that was the game, although I think he got a few games in the mid 30s as well and scored fairly regularly.

played a 100 odd games before being axed at 22/23?

moronic by timid. that would be like developing montagna and sacking him now when he is reaching his potential.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Barney2
Club Player

gee guys, Stop bickering. He did his knee, st kilda wouldnt come to the party for his future. He looked after himself financially after he did his knee where we would only give him one year. HAwthorn secured his future. Bloody good on him. He probably doubted whether he wlould play again and Hawthorn gave him stability, especially at 21. He was a great player and one of the most balanced players I have seen.
good luck

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Barney2 wrote:gee guys, Stop bickering. He did his knee, st kilda wouldnt come to the party for his future. He looked after himself financially after he did his knee where we would only give him one year. HAwthorn secured his future. Bloody good on him. He probably doubted whether he wlould play again and Hawthorn gave him stability, especially at 21. He was a great player and one of the most balanced players I have seen.
good luck
who is bickering?

IMO I would have done the same given his circumstances.

its just dissapointing it didn't work out for st kilda is all

SHUT UP KRIME!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda did come to the party, to the tune of $200,000 for a year on the sidelines. Not bad money, now let alone back then.
He wanted more.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
GrumpyOne

Bernard Shakey wrote:St Kilda did come to the party, to the tune of $200,000 for a year on the sidelines. Not bad money, now let alone back then.
He wanted more.
Nothing wrong with that.

Footballing is a profession, with only a limited time in which to earn an income.

I can understand why someone in that situation would want to place their earnings above loyalty.

Places more credit on those who choose to stay at the one club in preference to chasing the $$$$$.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

pretty sure the money at the time was considerably more than what st kilda offered + 3 year contract v 1 year contract.

SHUT UP KRIME!