new article on maguire/baker contracts

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Rodger,
There is a big difference between nominating who you want on the list and actually sorting through the details of contract negotiation.

I would have thought that the way this process works is that
1. RL on behalf of the coaches decide which players they wish to keep
2. AF/KS go about negotiating those players' contracts when they are up for renewal.
Who has final say?

The way Sheldon was talking about Judd concerned me. Reminded me of when he put Milne up for trade before Lyon had even been appointed.

Who wants Judd 'as a priority'? Sheldon, or Lyon?

I can't see where or why Sheldon needs to be involved in the process.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Rodger,
There is a big difference between nominating who you want on the list and actually sorting through the details of contract negotiation.

I would have thought that the way this process works is that
1. RL on behalf of the coaches decide which players they wish to keep
2. AF/KS go about negotiating those players' contracts when they are up for renewal.
Who has final say?

The way Sheldon was talking about Judd concerned me. Reminded me of when he put Milne up for trade before Lyon had even been appointed.

Who wants Judd 'as a priority'? Sheldon, or Lyon?

I can't see where or why Sheldon needs to be involved in the process.
Rodger, my apology.

I thought we were discussing the contract negtiations of Goose and Bakes, and the fact that it was being handled for Saints by AF/KS.

I didn't realize you were talking about KS telling the world we were very interested in Judd.

Do you think KS has done this (spoken about our interest in Judd) without input from RL?

RooandKosi
Club Player

we lose maguire and baker say goodbye to 2008 its as sim ple as that!

2 top 10 players and they are considering what exactly???

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Rodger, my apology.

I thought we were discussing the contract negtiations of Goose and Bakes, and the fact that it was being handled for Saints by AF/KS.

I didn't realize you were talking about KS telling the world we were very interested in Judd.

Do you think KS has done this (spoken about our interest in Judd) without input from RL?
We were talking about contracts in general - including Goose and Bakes.

I raised the Judd comments by Sheldon as I believe it's relevant.

When Thomas was sacked, one of the things spoken about by the Board was that the new coach will now not be involved in contracts as Ken Sheldon would be doing this.
It was obviously in reference to Thomas doing it during his tenure.

I took what they said, and the fact that Sheldon began trading before we had a coach, to mean that Lyon has little input to contract negotiations. I found this to be incredible.

So the answer is, I don't know what input Lyon has.

What input do they have? What input does Sheldon have that Lyon shouldn't? What does Fraser do?

I'd genuinely love to know.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Why not email AF and ask him?

I don't know for sure but I would have thought the Club instituted the role of Football Manager after the departure of GT to take away that administrative role of negotiating contracts. As has been well documented, GT took it on himself as senior Coach to also negotiate all contracts and it was felt by teh Board that this was not the optimum way to run this area.

I would expect that under today's model, the Coaching Panel (through RL) advises the negotiators (AF/KS) who they would like to keep and leaves the negotiations of the actual contracts to AF/KS.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:FWIW, Grant Thomas was probably more qualified to be negotiating player contracts than he was to coach.
Agree 100% and further evidenced by the five years deals to Penny and Hamill

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

penny had a three year deal...

I always thought Grant if he stuck to his promise to step aside if a better coach came along, would've been great as footy manager.. But would've had to be under his terms and him wanting to do that job instead of coaching.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

GT also managed to engineer Hamills injuries and penny's injuries.

his cunning evil knew no ends :roll:

i bet he sabotaged gardiners foot as well, and hypnotised doc clarke into thinking he was a goal post as well :roll:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!