My chat with Greg Westaway today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Re: Greg Westaway

meher baba wrote:
yipper wrote:JThey have around 5000 proxys in already!!
If true, then the silent majority (who are perhaps not accurately represented by the most prominent posters on here) would seem to have spoken against Butterss.

I would imagine that there are lots of members with an average age skewed towards the older end of the spectrum who lack the wherewithal, time or inclination to use the internet to log into fan forums.

They are loyal, lifelong members who would harbour painful memories of the wilderness years of the 1970s and 1980s and who would have been far less convinced than many (perhaps, on average, younger) posters on here that there was any compelling logic to the decision by the club to sack a highly successful coach in GT and to replace him with a coach who favours a boring, "modern" style of football. And who see Butterss and his board as representing the worst sort of spin doctors and purveyors of corporatespeak.

I can tell you that there are lots of Saints members in Hobart who feel this way, but who felt powerless to do anything about it. Their chance has now come.

Good on them.

Spot on (again :wink:).

I know many long suffering Saints fans who do not daily hang on every word written on SS, but rely on the commerical media for their information.

Many of them exhibited the feelings you outlined above MB, and most were quite happy to put their faith in Burkey on a challenging ticket.

Whether that is right or wrong is another debate.

But's it's how a lot of Saints fans feel.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
yipper
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
saint66au wrote: Anything anyone would like raised on behalf of the Moorabbin Wing?
Why wont he release his financial plans to the voting members and why is he hiding behind Nathan Burke?
Joff - Burkie didn't ring me, Westaway did. Incidently - I'm still waiting for a phone call from Rocket Butterss since he became President.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SaintPM wrote:Joffaboy,

Please explain how someone who is personally calling members of supporter groups and the like, is "hiding behind Nathan Burke"
Why was Nathan Burke sent out on Thursday Night on TFS?

Why was the propoganda sent by FFS written in such a way as to ask us to send our proxies to Westaway or NATHAN BURKE?

Who is attempting to be elected President? Westaway or Nathan Burke?

Why is Westaway trading of Burkies status as a St.Kilda champion and the esteem we all hold him in?

Get on the front foot and do your own dirty work Westaway and dont sully Burkies reputation making him answer for your gutter comments re drugs.

Doe that answer your question?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy, you speak of Nathan Burke as if he is some lifeless plastic doll that obscures us from seeing or hearing Westaway.

Has it occurred to you that Burke might willingly have taken on his current role as spokesman for SFF because he feels so strongly about the issues involved?

Burke is aware he is trading on his own name, but obviously sees the benefits of doing so for the club as greater than any cost to him or his reputation.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
saint66au wrote: Anything anyone would like raised on behalf of the Moorabbin Wing?
Why wont he release his financial plans to the voting members and why is he hiding behind Nathan Burke?
Joff - Burkie didn't ring me, Westaway did. Incidently - I'm still waiting for a phone call from Rocket Butterss since he became President.
And that is fair enough, but you are a supporter convener down Sth Gippy way.

Westaway should have gone on TFS for all the supporters to see him, and answer the questions about his gutter tactics. Instead he traded off Nathans good name and he should not have had to answer for Westaway.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SaintPM wrote:Joffaboy,

Please explain how someone who is personally calling members of supporter groups and the like, is "hiding behind Nathan Burke"

Why was the propoganda sent by FFS written in such a way as to ask us to send our proxies to Westaway or NATHAN BURKE?

Why is Westaway trading of Burkies status as a St.Kilda champion and the esteem we all hold him in?

Get on the front foot and do your own dirty work Westaway and dont sully Burkies reputation making him answer for your gutter comments re drugs.

I thought we are voting for a Board.

Not an individual. Not a specific person as President.

Sounds like you're hoping Westaway is some sort of Messiah to lead us to the promised land.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: I thought we are voting for a Board.

Sounds like you're hoping Westaway is some sort of Messiah to lead us to the promised land.
Doesn't Westaway want to be President?

Why wont he front TFS if he wants to be leader of the new board?

I dont believe in Messiahs RogerFox. I leave that to desperates.

Lance or James??

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
Joffa, I asked Burkie if he was the face of SFF and he said no it wasn't intended that way. That they both are talking to supporters, media etc. And its just who is available at the time.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
SaintWal
Club Player

Makes Sense to put Burkey Forward.

What does it matter as long as the ticket is united in its goals.

Did anyone really know Westaway before this came up? We all knew Burkey.

And then I need to ask

Did anyone really remember Rod Butterrs before he came on to the board?

The Peanut
Club Player

homework wrote:I'm gonna vote for him
Yes Homework your vote won't count in the numbers game but it does offer your exspression of interest - so I think that you should at least cast your vote if you feel inclined.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:again i think ill wait til both partys put forth their case b4 deciding.

did he actually mention any names in regard to sponcers ?
No, but he has several apparently - both top and middle tier types. But Greg said we need ppl working at the club who can look after them.. give em a hug, a drink etc. Just look after em' That's what you're supposed to do - give them a chance to gain some mileage from the arrangement as well - not just coff up the dollars.
This might sound crazy and stupid but how about some supporters that have business experience or even a great personality get given the voluntary position of "sponsor buddy" or something similar. Make their days at the game special, talk saints and football in general, hands on special treatment.

The volunteer gets experience, training, good access to watch the football, contacts and new friends etc? Get a real unity sense to this club?? Plus use the passion and skills we have in our membership. Would not cost much to set up and get going.

Similar thing could happen in the social club and/or other parts of the club. I would love to get involved in such things but only membership seems to be an area we can help out in.

btw I sent my proxy off. I don't expect miracles, just want a change after 7 years.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
spert
Saintsational Legend

I hope the possible new board don't start wheeling out 5-year plan claptrap. It's odd to think RB who is a successfull squillionaire businessman, won't be able to pull out a few sponsors, I'm sure he would have no problems. As for having sponsors who won't come on board while RB is there..sounds like used-car sales talk to me, designed to win some suckers over as they white-ant their way into the club and destabilise the place as they are already doing.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

spert, RB isn't a 'squillionaire businessman'

He sold his main venture about ten years ago for a tidy sum, and is certainly very wealthy, but I would hazard a guess that Westaway, for instance, is better connected and has a few more dollars floating around.

A member of my family was told by our former CEO that Rod Butterss had not brought a sponsor to the club himself for 5 years.

yipper
SS Life Member

spert wrote:I hope the possible new board don't start wheeling out 5-year plan claptrap. It's odd to think RB who is a successfull squillionaire businessman, won't be able to pull out a few sponsors, I'm sure he would have no problems. As for having sponsors who won't come on board while RB is there..sounds like used-car sales talk to me, designed to win some suckers over as they white-ant their way into the club and destabilise the place as they are already doing.
Well, we could use a couple right about now - so why doesn't he come up with the goodies?? If he had the club at heart - surely he would have ensured that no sponsor was so peed off that they want to sue us!!?? Butterss has run his race.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
yipper
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote: I thought we are voting for a Board.

Doesn't Westaway want to be President?

Why wont he front TFS if he wants to be leader of the new board?

I dont believe in Messiahs RogerFox. I leave that to desperates.
Joffa - who's the pres at the Kangas?? Lions?? Tiges? Freo?? They all keep a low profile - why can' t Westaway?? Maybe Burkie has volunteered to do the media cos Westaway doesn't feel comfy doing it - maybe he's just a working type of fella - get the job done, no fanfare!! Frankly I've had enough of our dial a quote current Pres!! Everytime I pick the paper up - there he is with another gem!!

SaintPM
Club Player

Joffaboy wrote

No it doesn't, because those answers would all indicate that Nathan Burke was a zombie incapable of thinking for himself.

How about you answer

Why was Greg Westaway on 3AW answering questions?
Why was Greg Westaway on SEN answering questions?
Why is Nathan Burke not allowed to appear and support someone and something he believes in so strongly?

To take your simplististic and juvenile line of thought, why are John Howard and Kevin Rudd hiding behind Alexander Downer and Julia Gillard?

Why is it that SFF have been able to get something out to every member when I havn't received anything from Rod Butterss and his team. Makes SFF already look more efficient than Butterss team. Perhaps the Saints are so understaffed that like the membership postings, I will receive something well after the EGM has been run and won.

Why is it that you to resort to puerile FFS instead of SFF?

Why is Rod Butterss hiding behind Joffaboy? Perhaps like yourself all wind, no substance.

Sign Sealed for Life
Carl Mynott
Club Player

I've sent my proxy vote into FF with Westaway nominated to cast my vote ...........

:P

The more things change the more they stay the same
Shades
Club Player

I will vote 4 the bored who buys me food:)

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 11:44am, edited 1 time in total.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:joffaboy, come over from the dark side, all is forgiven, use the force. ;) :)
I'm on no side.

I'm not into messiahs. I leave that to the desperate and ignorant.

Lance or James??

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
aussierules0k wrote:joffaboy, come over from the dark side, all is forgiven, use the force. ;) :)
I'm on no side.

I'm curious, if you're not into messiahs why are you so desperate for Westaway to be a figurehead?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
I'm on no side.

I'm curious, if you're not into messiahs why are you so desperate for Westaway to be a figurehead?
Isn't Westaway attempting to become STKFC President? Isn't that the figurehead of the club?

Find one post where i have said I am desperate for Westaway to be figurehead of the club.

You can now add stalking me and lying about me as well as personally insulting and harrassing me to the list of attack on me by you. Stop this bullying, it is not in the forum rules.

Mods can you do something about this person constantly misrepresenting me just because I haven't got his messiah complex?

Lance or James??

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
I'm on no side.

Isn't Westaway attempting to become STKFC President? Isn't that the figurehead of the club?

Find one post where i have said I am desperate for Westaway to be figurehead of the club.

You can now add stalking me and lying about me as well as personally insulting and harrassing me to the list of attack on me by you. Stop this bullying, it is not in the forum rules.

Mods can you do something about this person constantly misrepresenting me just because I haven't got his messiah complex?
Odd response.

Doesn't answer my question though.

yipper
SS Life Member

Footy is all about messiahs and heroes. Eddie is the Collingwood messiah - saved them from ruin, made them a power again. (just can't win a flag!!)
Carlton have latched onto another messiah in Pratt!! He will save them so they hope!! Matthews has been the messiah at Brisbane - before him they were nothing.

Roos at Sydney has delivered the chocolates - before him Plugger was the man.

Point is - so what. There has to be someone to follow who will lead us to the promised land. Butterss almost did it - but then has lost the plot in the last 12-18 months. Without someone putting their hand up and saying I can do this - what do you get? nothing.. Nothing will change. Having said that - I don't believe Westaway is the media player type. He is more the football captain type - come on boys, roll the sleeves up and let's get on with it. I'm here - I am in charge, but others can do the media. He is connected and respected in business. He does have top end of town contacts like all the presidents do - so what? he is a bit media shy!! Burke is better on TV than he is - so what. Is he a messiah - maybe, maybe not. I don't care - he is just offering to do what RB and co. are not doing at present. Run our club with an eye on success BOTH on and off field. If RB can come out and tell how things will get better / what he will do differently that will make a difference - then let's hear from him SOON. At present - the only ppl making all the right noises is Westaway and Burke.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Looking forward the flag in 2008 which Westaway and his boys will apparently deliver, as we can't wait for RB and his boys to do it any longer. I am to presume that the new leadership, once they get in, will deliver star players to RL to fix all deficiencies in the team -they will also miraculously find a cure for long-term and chronically injured injured players. With our new list fully 100% fit, then the flag is ours. I think there is a serious case of rose-coloured glasses going on with some. Don't be sucked in by bells and whistles -if you want these new guys in, demand of them a premiership as members..write to Westaway and his crew and lay it on the line exatly what you as members want..I fear he will be selling you the Sydney Harbour Bridge next.