Feels really similar to 1999 under Tim Watson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Dan Warna wrote:
if we lose to melbourne, and the coach and players can't get us over that line in convincing fashion, its the season over at this stage.

I'm with you on that one Dan. I feel the floodgates will open in a big way if we get rolled this weekend. My opinion, as discussed on another thread still remains the same, no point in risoleing Lyon mid season, but I do fear the sh*t will hit the fan big time from media, supporters, etc.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

could u imagine this place if we drop one to the dees next week!!??
good god..... :?

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

You would think pride would get us over the line next weekend, but jeezus, I didnt see a lot of pride on the line yesterday at the Gabba, except for the usual crew.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

well a few games this year and last year we just bludgeoned teams down on raw talent and individual efforts.

if we did win against melbourne it will give us time to regroup.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

God knows we need some regrouping. Raw talent from a few may get us over the line against Dees. After what Lyon said about softness after the game, you would expect the whole team to come out breathing fire. If not you really do have to wonder whether thay are playing for the coach or not. Whilst football is far more technical that 20 years ago, I still believe there are basic fundamentals to the game, and playing for the coach is one of the. Only gotta look at Brisbane since Matthews has taken over. I would suggest they are probably too scared not to play for the coach, but they really put in for him, and its plain to see.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

brisbane were a talented but hopeless bunch before Matthews remoulded them.

honestly the krays, chris johnson, michael Voss, simon black all owe a lot to their demeanour, arrogance to Matthews.

heck we were one of the few teams that COULD go toe to toe with the lions then.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

I always thought that G.T was attempting to mould our team around the Brisbane of the time, and we werent far off, except for a shocking injury run.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

there is no way known...on current respective form...that we can beat the dees this coming weekend......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:I always thought that G.T was attempting to mould our team around the Brisbane of the time, and we werent far off, except for a shocking injury run.

he was then all the tough players came off our list for one reason or another....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Buckets
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:there is no way known...on current respective form...that we can beat the dees this coming weekend......
If it happens im sad to say it but Lyon will probably be out on his arse quicker than he can blink! Not even his mate Wallsy could back him after a loss to the Dees!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:there is no way known...on current respective form...that we can beat the dees this coming weekend......
That is a paralysing thought...

In a way, I fear that if we do win, it will merely paper the cracks...

But if we lose, it would rock the club to its core, and the pretenders would be moved on...and we could get on with the job of developing a list, and developing a staff, capable of winning a flag.

Jesus...what a horrible thought. This is bloody awful.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Buckets
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:

But if we lose, it would rock the club to its core, and the pretenders would be moved on...and we could get on with the job of developing a list, and developing a staff, capable of winning a flag.

Is there any winners from either a win or a loss on Sunday?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Is there any winners from either a win or a loss on Sunday?
yes, 4 points and a chance for confidence.

we lost 5 straight in 97, we started of badly in 03, 05, 06 and 07 and had good back half seasons.

had Luke ball and Lenny Hayes dragged us over the line against Collingwood we'd be 5/4 not 4/5.

a win puts us in 5/5

SHUT UP KRIME!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

You just have to hope that somehow, if we do win, the players look at it not as a pressure release, but as an opportunity to really attack the rest of the year.

I can't help but feel that we'll have a 6-7 goal win, but it will be marred by the same problems - except we won't be punished.

We'll then spin a few lines to the press about how we've turned the corner, 5-5, yada yada, hope for the future...

More of the same bulls*** until reality kicks in and we play a decent team who expose us for pace, effort, execution, physicality and intensity.

Buckets
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:You just have to hope that somehow, if we do win, the players look at it not as a pressure release, but as an opportunity to really attack the rest of the year.

I can't help but feel that we'll have a 6-7 goal win, but it will be marred by the same problems - except we won't be punished.

We'll then spin a few lines to the press about how we've turned the corner, 5-5, yada yada, hope for the future...

More of the same bulls*** until reality kicks in and we play a decent team who expose us for pace, effort, execution, physicality and intensity.
Which will happen the week after when we play the doggies and they thrash us and then we play Sydney up there and we will lose that 56-53 in the second worse game for the year!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
evertonfc wrote:You just have to hope that somehow, if we do win, the players look at it not as a pressure release, but as an opportunity to really attack the rest of the year.

Which will happen the week after when we play the doggies and they thrash us and then we play Sydney up there and we will lose that 56-53 in the second worse game for the year!
Don't start me...

Ross Lyon has a month.

Three out of four to keep his job. I don't think that's unreasonable considering we're playing Melbourne this week.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Feels more like the Blight year to me. Remember blight started abusing the players?

Ross Lyon has started already. Calling them soft pissweak cretins.

Hmm. Implosion imminent.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Oh for god's sake, I'm not saying 2008 will be like 2000, I'm just saying the feeling I've got tonight is like the one I had when we missed the finals in 1999.

That's all :)
There was one thing that was done back then that will always leave me angry and bitter and will probably never get over.