ins and out

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

Umm - can a rookie be named emergency?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Tigers are weak in the ruck...so Kosi and Blake to share.....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The Clarke would be Matt Clarke. Lyon obviously doesn't see the need for a lumbering tap ruckman against Pattison and Polak.

B: Gwilt, Maguire, L.Fisher
HB: Gram, S.Fisher, Ferguson
C: Birss, Hayes, Gilbert
HF: Harvey, Riewoldt, Ball
F: X.Clarke, Gehrig, Milne

Foll: Koschitzke, Montagna, Dal Santo
Int: Blake, R.Clarke, Fiora, Jones

Not happy with these selections. We just have too many defensive flankers in the team. Should have included either Brooks or Watts to stretch Richmond weak defence. Concerned with the lack of scoring options. Hopefully Gilbo can go forward and kick a few.

One issue that we certainly haven't addressed is our disposal. Attard's disposal was ordinary as was Clarke's, while Voss was a decent kick of the footy. Jones is the worst kick in the AFL, Gwilt is very prone to turnovers and Harvs has been making a lot of mistakes lately. Would have liked to see some creativity and skill included into the team (Sweeney, Brooks).

S.Fisher v Richardson
Ferguson v Pettifer
Maguire v Shulz
Gwilt v Riewoldt
L.Fisher v Brown :?

Montagna v Deledio
Hayes v Foley

Koschitzke v Pattison

Riewoldt v Polak
Gehrig v Thursfield
Milne v Newman

Gilbert The Great
Club Player

Geary must have been elevated for Attard

Liam_G
Club Player

Would it be possible that, if Adelaide win on Friday night and we lose any chance to play in the finals, both Geary and Thompson will be included in the team? Maybe that is why Geary has been named as an emergency? To see what he can do at senior level before the end of the year? Just my thoughts anyway.... my be completely unfounded.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert The Great wrote:Geary must have been elevated for Attard
To late to do that.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Lyon wants one last look at Gwilt ... my prediction is Gwilt will get a fairly big role if he plays, and Lyon is 50/50 as to whether he will stay next year.

With Geary ... technically he can't actually play ... it's obviously a sign that the club are telling him "well done on your efforts", and an indication that Geary will be promoted next year.

Jones ... well, like Murray and GT, Jones seems to be Lyon's favourite. Hopefully he improves on his last performance.

Voss, M. Clarke both good omissions ... neither are good enough at AFL level anymore. Vossy's had 11 games this year, and I reckon 2-3 where he's done enough to hold his spot. Thanks for all your hard work and courage over the years.

We have 7 defenders in the team:

Maguire
S. Fisher
Gwilt
Gilbert
R. Clarke
L. Fisher
M. Ferguson

One of those will have to play up forward ... maybe Gilbo or Raph, and Leigh Fisher in the midfield.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if Gilbo will play a similar role to last week against Judd and follow Deledio everywhere he goes. If Deledio lines up in the midfield I would love to see Sammy get a chance as an onballer. He is also our best match up for Deledio if he plays forward.

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

other teams have elevated rookies this week and last, why can't we?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:I reckon Lyon wants one last look at Gwilt ... my prediction is Gwilt will get a fairly big role if he plays, and Lyon is 50/50 as to whether he will stay next year.

With Geary ... technically he can't actually play ... it's obviously a sign that the club are telling him "well done on your efforts", and an indication that Geary will be promoted next year.

Jones ... well, like Murray and GT, Jones seems to be Lyon's favourite. Hopefully he improves on his last performance.

Voss, M. Clarke both good omissions ... neither are good enough at AFL level anymore. Vossy's had 11 games this year, and I reckon 2-3 where he's done enough to hold his spot. Thanks for all your hard work and courage over the years.

We have 7 defenders in the team:

Maguire
S. Fisher
Gwilt
Gilbert
R. Clarke
L. Fisher
M. Ferguson

One of those will have to play up forward ... maybe Gilbo or Raph, and Leigh Fisher in the midfield.
Jimmy isnt going anywhere. Has a year to run on his contract and doubt with such an important game he would put him in to have a look at him. Hwas next in once Voss was dropped and I to agree with the outs.

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Maguire v Shulz
isn't schulz out?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough plugger66 ... thanks for that, I wasn't sure about Gwilt.

Personally I think he can play a bit and provides some decent depth. Would have been sad to see him go, and hopefully he can play a few more games next year.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:
Maguire v Shulz
isn't schulz out?
Yep. I started writing that before someone posted the Tigers changes. Don't know who Maguire will take. Would take Polak if he plays forward.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

thank god no more Doc clarke!!!!
end of the road for vossy i think

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
eppo67
Club Player

Jones in front of Armo. What a joke.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Jones in front of Armo. What a joke.
armos not ready yet
soon have some patience
Cj might be a good inclusion as i dont see who the tigs can match up on him

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

How has Jones been promoted yet again? How many chances can a 23-year old with no AFL future get?

Surely Thommo would be a better option...surely. Right now, it's about winning games, not giving substandard players game time.

If McQualter had as many chances as Jones, he'd be a much better player by now.

And no Rix? Surely, with Richmond having no ruckmen, this was a chance to get him in form before the finals.

I hate to be negative, but this is bewildering stuff from Lyon. We should still win the game, yes, but his logic doesn't seem to add up. Is his focus on next year or next week?
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Cj might be a good inclusion as i dont see who the tigs can match up on him
Eh? I'd leave him spare if I was Terry Wallace.

How do you mean you can't see who'd match up on him?
Last edited by evertonfc on Thu 30 Aug 2007 8:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
armos not ready yet
soon have some patience
Cj might be a good inclusion as i dont see who the tigs can match up on him
What about their worst player.

eppo67
Club Player

What Armo is not ready to play the last game of the year against the bottom team?

Get real!!

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

CJ had a better game than Armo in the VFL last w/e. Selection panel obviously hoping that translates into an improved performance from him in the Seniors. Disposal is no where near as bad as people here are claiming. Didn't see him have many clangers last week.

woooosaints
Club Player

why u all think he CJ is so crap once he picks up his disposal he will be a great player hes gets alot of the contested ball and although his game time is limited i think if he was given more time on the field he could easily pick up 20-30 poss

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:Disposal is no where near as bad as people here are claiming.
Perhaps in the VFL - he couldn't hit a barn door under pressure in the AFL. Let's face it, not many people can. WHICH IS WHY THEY ARE NOT PLAYING IN THE AFL. Capiche?

One thing that bugs me is that people say he's lightning fast...he's about average for a midfielder. Nothing special.

I wish I was being overly critical about the guy because I didn't like him - on the contrary, I'd kill for him to make it as we desperately need midfielders to bloom off the rookie list.

He's lucky Ross Lyon adores him. We need to win matches, and Andrew Thompson, for his clearance ability, should have been picked. But if we're going with the young ones, frankly, I'd almost rather see Geary given a go or some faith shown in McQualter - both players with time to blossom.

Jones isn't going to get any better. He's really not - it's not his fault, but being out of the AFL system and not having enough raw attributes means it's a bridge too far, and we're wasting our time with him. We've already had a massive look at him and it's so clear he's not up to this level.

If we had no alternatives, fair enough, but we do, and that's what hurts.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

woooosaints wrote:why u all think he CJ is so crap once he picks up his disposal he will be a great player hes gets alot of the contested ball and although his game time is limited i think if he was given more time on the field he could easily pick up 20-30 poss

Just one question how does his disposal improve at 23 years of age. One Jack Daniels couldnt and I see CJ in the same mould.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
woooosaints wrote:why u all think he CJ is so crap once he picks up his disposal he will be a great player hes gets alot of the contested ball and although his game time is limited i think if he was given more time on the field he could easily pick up 20-30 poss
Just one question how does his disposal improve at 23 years of age. One Jack Daniels couldnt and I see CJ in the same mould.
Well said.

We've already got enough substandard midfielders on our list.

If we're going with youth, let's start developing the next generation of quality midfielders.

Nick_Dal_Santo = ChAmPiOn
Club Player

wat the hell r u on about?'

have u seen armo play in the VFL?

he struggles to run out games, meaning he is not
fit!