Tomlinson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tomlinson

The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 02 Sep 2024 8:28pm
SaintPav wrote: Mon 02 Sep 2024 8:00pm Prefer Mac Andrew.

$12 million over 8 years is the rumour on the socials that one club has reportedly offered him.
Mc Andrew is a gun and it appears he can play both ends. I suspect he'll end up a formidable key forward, not what we need.
A gun who can play both ends isn’t what we need? :D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2024 9:21am

$12 million over 8 years is the rumour on the socials that one club has reportedly offered him.
Mc Andrew is a gun and it appears he can play both ends. I suspect he'll end up a formidable key forward, not what we need.
Ah, a both ends of the grounder, reminds me of those heady days of when the tactical move was Membrey loose in defence. Followed by the mystery of why couldn't we score being explored post match.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Membrey has never played in defence

He has (as a forward) gone behind the ball to protect a lead or in red time or to stop opposition momentum

He has never gone back to play on an oppositions forward

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

When is Tomlinson coming. He would do well under Lyon. Cheap as chips. Taller and more mobile than Battle.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Tomlinson is definitely a downgrade on Battle with their career trajectories heading in opposite directions obviously demonstrated by the offers they can attract.

Tomlinson is better than Laverde and he might be ok but he won’t be great.

repta
Club Player

If the cripple ever gets out on the field he will look great in brown and gold stripes.
Not sure whether he will see red white and black.

loris
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2024 10:52pm If the cripple ever gets out on the field he will look great in brown and gold stripes.
Not sure whether he will see red white and black.
Who are you talking about??

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Isn't discussion of Mr Tomlinson just running after a raggedy old ball the media has thrown to fill air time.
Airy speculation on nothing of substance during the bye period. For the post season period until preseason training there seems to be a lot of childish stuff floated by the mass of expert commentators who know very little facts and are scabbling for something to mouth off about.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Don't we have an abundance of big forwards: King, Sharman, Camminiti, Membrey and I'd count Owens?

Do we need to spend the gigantic amount it looks like McAndrew will command for a defender? As good as he is.

One of the Clubs desperate for big forwards, Collingwood, Melbourne or Port Adelaide will offer an eye watering contract to McAndrew to use him as a key forward. I'm sure Gold Coast will make a huge offer to keep him.

If we are going to make huge offers, it needs to be for midfielders such as Uniake-Davis :D

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2024 8:04pm

Don't we have an abundance of big forwards: King, Sharman, Camminiti, Membrey and I'd count Owens?

Do we need to spend the gigantic amount it looks like McAndrew will command for a defender? As good as he is.

One of the Clubs desperate for big forwards, Collingwood, Melbourne or Port Adelaide will offer an eye watering contract to McAndrew to use him as a key forward. I'm sure Gold Coast will make a huge offer to keep him.

If we are going to make huge offers, it needs to be for midfielders such as Uniake-Davis :D
I might be wrong, but I don’t see McAndrew as a big forward. More of a defender who can float forward at times.

Anyway, it’s all academic because 95% chance he’s not coming to us.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

So The Tackle reckon we are after Laverde. Maybe ok as a stop gap for a couple of years.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
damienc
Club Player

What I truly love about this forum is reading all of the nonsense.
This thread is a classic case in point.

Some of the stuff being touted about Tomlinson is not only silly it’s wrong.

It’s the same kind of rubbish that was written when we recruited Paddy Ryder and we know how that turned out.

And no. I’m not comparing Tomlinson to Ryder.

Tomlinson’s stats are very good. Yes he’s had injuries and bouts of ordinary performances. Just like many AFL players.

He hit purple patch of form for the Dees at the end of the season. He won’t cost us much. He would be a handy pick up for essentially a set of steak knives.

But the haters will keep hating.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2024 10:21pm So The Tackle reckon we are after Laverde. Maybe ok as a stop gap for a couple of years.
Laverde is seemingly a love connection that has been made to us ever since his draft year.

We were rumoured to be into him then, then again 2-3 times pretty much every time his contract comes up - would be close to the most talked about non-Saint ever. Personally I’ve never really rated him. Would prefer Tomlinson of the 2.

On a side note… I’ve moved some posts that were a bit off topic. No rule issues by any means but a lot of interest in the topic

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Tomlinson is slightly taller and seems quite a bit stronger as a 1-1 defender, but that's my perception...just off recent history. I haven't really followed them and their careers that closely

Tomlinson is 31. Laverde is 3 years younger but he's no spring chicken either. I think we're stupid bringing either guy into our club.

Aren't there half a dozen good young solid defenders playing State League footy?

Develop our own with a young bloke from the draft. I also think Hammer is capable of taking on a defensive role in 2025....and Arie Shoenmaker will be a gun in 2026

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=C&type=A