2025 st Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2025 st Kilda

I would’ve rested Wilson weeks ago, completely

And then given him a block of VFL games befor finishing off in the AFL

He is having no impact atm same as Phillipou at the end of last season

This thread (and my post was about 2025!)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2024 7:41pm I would’ve rested Wilson weeks ago, completely

And then given him a block of VFL games befor finishing off in the AFL

He is having no impact atm same as Phillipou at the end of last season

This thread (and my post was about 2025!)
Oh ok :lol:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Saints first half of this year was bad
It made supporters and players sad
The team thankfully turned things around.
Since Round 12 our game plan looks sound.
That's coz Enright took over from RTB
If Lyon departs at the end of next year, no great loss

Sorry that's my 2025 manifesto.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

With Crouch out of action all year we have been shown to have a bottom 4 midfield.

With natural improvement in Windy & Pou , and an injury free preseason gets us peak Dow, perhaps that helps us climb a few rungs to bottom 6 midfield - but still a long way short of top 8 midfield. That’s the problem that still needs to be solved in 2025.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Late 2024, lobby Laura K for an equitable draw. Promise to not to flog North if necessary.
Suggest any priority picks bestowed on North, as is now the seasonal custom when it chalks up only 3 wins for the year, comes after our first two picks (letting them have early picks doesn't seem to help much, Laura, bit of a waste)
Early 2025
offer the senior umpires excellent deals on Cherys;
offer MRO a couple of Westinghouse products, no strings attached of course.

bbm
Club Player

Interesting regarding Darcy Wilson. I have to admit I'm a bit of a technical dinosaur but I do have the AFL APP - and there is an amazing amount of data if you click on Tracker for any of the games - our games obviously. It provides great data for each game with the Top 5 Players in Distance Covered, Maximum Speed, Total Sprints, Work Rate, and Total Team distance covered - maybe everyone already knows about this but I didn't until a couple of days ago. In relation to Darcy he's a freak athlete. He dominates most aspects and particularly Total Distance Covered and Total Sprints - he's at the top in most categories for each game for both sides for most of the season - with only the odd game where he doesn't rate very highly. Also he seems to be finishing the season strongly eg. in the last game V Richmond he was Top in Total Distance covered 15km and Top in Total Sprints 32. Surprisingly he's usually well ahead of Brad Hill in sprinting. He's also been near the top in the last 3 or 4 games. So although he may not be getting as much of the ball later in the season as he was at the start - physically (athletically) he still seems to be going strong. I'm no expert on these matters but maybe that's why they haven't rested him to date and feel like giving him as much exposure to AFL Games will be very good for his development.

St Dave
Club Player

bbm wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2024 6:45pm Interesting regarding Darcy Wilson. I have to admit I'm a bit of a technical dinosaur but I do have the AFL APP - and there is an amazing amount of data if you click on Tracker for any of the games - our games obviously. It provides great data for each game with the Top 5 Players in Distance Covered, Maximum Speed, Total Sprints, Work Rate, and Total Team distance covered - maybe everyone already knows about this but I didn't until a couple of days ago. In relation to Darcy he's a freak athlete. He dominates most aspects and particularly Total Distance Covered and Total Sprints - he's at the top in most categories for each game for both sides for most of the season - with only the odd game where he doesn't rate very highly. Also he seems to be finishing the season strongly eg. in the last game V Richmond he was Top in Total Distance covered 15km and Top in Total Sprints 32. Surprisingly he's usually well ahead of Brad Hill in sprinting. He's also been near the top in the last 3 or 4 games. So although he may not be getting as much of the ball later in the season as he was at the start - physically (athletically) he still seems to be going strong. I'm no expert on these matters but maybe that's why they haven't rested him to date and feel like giving him as much exposure to AFL Games will be very good for his development.
This is very interesting, thanks for bringing the data.

I had assumed he must have been doing something to keep the coaches happy given his on paper output has dropped. Good to know he is still running hard even if he isn't getting the ball, shows a good mentality.

I wonder how often we are using his wing. Maybe he is seeing less of the ball because we are favouring the other wing

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Must be running to where the ball aint

St Dave
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2024 10:11pm Must be running to where the ball aint
You know as a winger it's not his job to chase the ball right?

Maybe he is running to the wrong spots, but don't you think he would have been dropped by now if he wasn't doing what the coaches were telling him?

I would love if he got a few more touches but clearly he is doing the right thing holding width and pushing up and back to help the team.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

St Dave wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2024 11:56pm
Maybe he is running to the wrong spots, but don't you think he would have been dropped by now if he wasn't doing what the coaches were telling him?
That's the modern game. You have to fill holes. You have to guard space so that teams don't have an easy outlet. That's what he provides defensively without having to lay tackles and play close to his opponent.

We also play better when we use Darcy's offensive running. He's an asset

Most weeks that I've looked at the AFL app I've seen Wilson leading many of the statistics for the tracker. He's a freak similar to Banger as far as running is concerned

Hope he wins the NAB Rising Star

St Dave
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2024 11:58pm
St Dave wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2024 11:56pm
That's the modern game. You have to fill holes. You have to guard space so that teams don't have an easy outlet. That's what he provides defensively without having to lay tackles and play close to his opponent.

We also play better when we use Darcy's offensive running. He's an asset

Most weeks that I've looked at the AFL app I've seen Wilson leading many of the statistics for the tracker. He's a freak similar to Banger as far as running is concerned

Hope he wins the NAB Rising Star
Exactly. Providing width on attack to try to stretch defenders and make space through the corridor on transition, and running hard on defence to make sure they don't have easy options.

Unfortunately I don't think the rising star voters will be rating distance covered over possessions gained, but if he is impressing the coaches that's all that matters

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

We don't yet have a player we can build a premiership team around, hopefully that player emerges in 2025, either it be Pou or a kid we pick up in this year's draft.

We need to find our Marquee player in 2025 which seems to be a key ingredient in most flag winning teams.

bbm
Club Player

bbm wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2024 6:45pm Interesting regarding Darcy Wilson. I have to admit I'm a bit of a technical dinosaur but I do have the AFL APP - and there is an amazing amount of data if you click on Tracker for any of the games - our games obviously. It provides great data for each game with the Top 5 Players in Distance Covered, Maximum Speed, Total Sprints, Work Rate, and Total Team distance covered - maybe everyone already knows about this but I didn't until a couple of days ago. In relation to Darcy he's a freak athlete. He dominates most aspects and particularly Total Distance Covered and Total Sprints - he's at the top in most categories for each game for both sides for most of the season - with only the odd game where he doesn't rate very highly. Also he seems to be finishing the season strongly eg. in the last game V Richmond he was Top in Total Distance covered 15km and Top in Total Sprints 32. Surprisingly he's usually well ahead of Brad Hill in sprinting. He's also been near the top in the last 3 or 4 games. So although he may not be getting as much of the ball later in the season as he was at the start - physically (athletically) he still seems to be going strong. I'm no expert on these matters but maybe that's why they haven't rested him to date and feel like giving him as much exposure to AFL Games will be very good for his development.
bump

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If we don't have Seb Ross, Zak Jones, Jack Hayes and Brad Crouch on the list next year, we'll probably be the 3rd or 4th youngest list in the comp

If Brad Hill isn't in the side at times over the next 12 months that might cement the idea in people's heads that our rebuild has only just begun.

Average age at Opening Round, 2024: 24.5. (equal 8th youngest)
Average games: 69.4 (11th most experienced)
Most games: Brad Hill (233)
Players with 100-plus games: 16
Players with less than 50 games: 21
Most finals games: Brad Hill (15)
Players with finals experience: 27

spert
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Aug 2024 8:51am We don't yet have a player we can build a premiership team around, hopefully that player emerges in 2025, either it be Pou or a kid we pick up in this year's draft.

We need to find our Marquee player in 2025 which seems to be a key ingredient in most flag winning teams.
We can't just really rely on one player to build around, we need a promising young core to keep building as we saw at Geelong back around 2007 onwards. Young guys like Wilson, Pou, Garcia, McLennan and Hastie will be a lot better again with a bit of work over summer to improve their strength and tanks.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Stocker has hit trigger clause and will get at least another season

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1201905/ins ... it-trigger

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Intreresting no retirement announcements from us so far.