This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2025

To me… there are a few very clear challenges.

Number one… figuring out what to do if Battle goes. Our back 6 is great. Battle is pbly the most replaceable and pick 5 or whatever is decent compensation, but geeez he’s good back there.

Secondly… we need the power mid. LDU is the name floated, I don’t know that we get him but we certainly need someone like him. 25-30+ a week to lead the way.

And finally… the uncomfortable one. How to fix the forward line.
It is undeniable that we play better without King since RTB came on board. And whilst it’s easy to direct that at Max and suggest he’s lazy or not talented etc… he’s looked a gem when he’s played the way he ought to: leading into space and outmanoeuvring his opponent with his reach.

This year, he’s stationary trying to take pack marks all the time and he’s been terrible at it. His better games have seen him push up the ground where he’s taken marks on the lead
I don’t get it. Whatever’s happening… it seems to be under instruction. Bomb in to King and get numbers around the contest. It’s horrible to watch and highly ineffective.

Now Membrey pbly goes pretty soon so space is there but they have got to figure out how to manage this as King is way to good to cast out

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The things that you have outlined skeptic I don’t see as a massive problem
Ross seems to have been able to put the chess pieces in order what happens from here on out I see as minor adjustments. Our young blokes are improving and we have a favourable draft coming up with or without battle
Would love to keep battle, but the blow will be softened as you have stipulated
The Max King quandary is a small one in the scheme of things as I see it. Even when membrey(I reckon he has another few seasons left in him) goes we have Owens Caminiti Higgins and of course the sharmonator, if we get a ruck Marshall may even move back there. I honestly like the way things are going.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 27 Jul 2024 11:36pm The things that you have outlined skeptic I don’t see as a massive problem
Ross seems to have been able to put the chess pieces in order what happens from here on out I see as minor adjustments. Our young blokes are improving and we have a favourable draft coming up with or without battle
Would love to keep battle, but the blow will be softened as you have stipulated
The Max King quandary is a small one in the scheme of things as I see it. Even when membrey(I reckon he has another few seasons left in him) goes we have Owens Caminiti Higgins and of course the sharmonator, if we get a ruck Marshall may even move back there. I honestly like the way things are going.
I feel pretty optimistic as well to be honest… certainly no complaints (perhaps challenges was a strong word). I can just see… especially with King, if we can just get that working better with him there and say add/develop an A-lister in the middle… that pbly makes us top 4 IMO

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I don't think we can afford to lose Battle. He mops up a fair bit down back, that's for sure.
King is an interesting one. We do seem to play better when we've got a number of different targets to kick to rather than just "kick it King". It's an up the field thing too, though, as they are the ones that are bombing it in instead of looking for other options.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!