No Byrnes, no Saints!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

seano1
Club Player

Re: No Byrnes, no Saints!

So according to some …our players are right up there with the umpires…….we all make mistakes

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Some mistakes you can wear others there are no excuse.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 2:43pm
Byrnes is ok but makes far to many basic errors and when you are only ok you can't afford to do that .
You’re a stubborn prick. No one is going to change your mind. That is obvious.

What is not obvious to you, is that Byrnes was more valuable to our team in the win against the Swans, than probably 10 other players.

He kept contributing in the last quarter. He was instrumental in 3 of our goals.

Hill’s speed and his decision making are not what they used to be.

Why don’t you compare Hill’s effectiveness with Ronnie’s from this point forward

Hill made some monumental stuff ups in that last quarter that resulted in direct turn overs.

Hill nearly cost us the match. He used to be a champ, but what’t his output these days on game day?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 3:49pm
Byrnes is ok but makes far to many basic errors and when you are only ok you can't afford to do that .

What is not obvious to you, is that Byrnes was more valuable to our team in the win against the Swans, than probably 10 other players.

He kept contributing in the last quarter. He was instrumental in 3 of our goals.

Why don’t you compare Hill’s effectiveness with Ronnie’s from this point forward

Hill made some monumental stuff ups in that last quarter that resulted in direct turn overs.

Hill nearly cost us the match. He used to be a champ, but what’t his output these days on game day?
Great post. Hill had 24 possessions but I feel like we go out of our way to give him the ball. I can’t recall one time where I thought what a piercing pass or a risky kick. I do recall him getting caught with the ball at least twice and he doesn’t win much ball for himself. Byrnes played a fantastic game I thought. His ball use was as good as I’ve ever seen it and he was calm under pressure. Did he make some mistakes, of course he did. But for mine he was in our best five or six players and to try and say otherwise just shows an obvious bias against him.

We all have bias . I’m not completely sold on Phillipou even though I thought he played a great game yesterday. He doesn’t have to play like that every week to win me over but I still need convincing. Having said that only a fool would try and say he didn’t have a good game yesterday even though he made a couple of obvious mistakes, the most obvious being the terrible chip up in the air which turned the ball over at a crucial time in the last quarter. You could see what he was trying to do and at the end of the day they all make mistakes.

sks023
Club Player

Byrne's is a Wishy washy player for me
Worth persisting with, worth keeping

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Has some great attributes, but also limitations.

Needs to 'stay in his lane' and he can be successful. Look to dish off to the better ball users at every opportunity.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 4:02pm

Great post. Hill had 24 possessions but I feel like we go out of our way to give him the ball. I can’t recall one time where I thought what a piercing pass or a risky kick. I do recall him getting caught with the ball at least twice and he doesn’t win much ball for himself. Byrnes played a fantastic game I thought. His ball use was as good as I’ve ever seen it and he was calm under pressure. Did he make some mistakes, of course he did. But for mine he was in our best five or six players and to try and say otherwise just shows an obvious bias against him.

We all have bias . I’m not completely sold on Phillipou even though I thought he played a great game yesterday. He doesn’t have to play like that every week to win me over but I still need convincing. Having said that only a fool would try and say he didn’t have a good game yesterday even though he made a couple of obvious mistakes, the most obvious being the terrible chip up in the air which turned the ball over at a crucial time in the last quarter. You could see what he was trying to do and at the end of the day they all make mistakes.

I said he played well and he did for him. But I repeat he needs to eliminate those repeated unforced mistakes.

Also please don’t compare Byrnes to Hill. There’s a very good reason why we chose to give the ball to Hill at every opportunity

Moods
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 5:14pm

I said he played well and he did for him. But I repeat he needs to eliminate those repeated unforced mistakes.

Also please don’t compare Byrnes to Hill. There’s a very good reason why we chose to give the ball to Hill at every opportunity
Yeah well, where nearly at the point where that needs to be explained. He had 24 possessions, but I don’t think one set up any goals.

darylcowie
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 1:45pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 1:34pm Has to get rid of his basic mistakes.
How many ‘basic’ mistakes did Mason Wood make during the match? 5 clangers and 5 turnovers.

What about one of our mist highly paid in Brad Hill? 4 turnovers and 3 clangers.

Mattaes had a huge game…his disposal efficiency was 57%. Hunter Clark was under 40%.

You need to balance your criticism and direct it towards a few of our more senior players

Byrnes has only played 50 pdd games of senior footy. He is only 23. Still has some upside
Hill's HTB on the Members Wing in the middle of the last quarter when we were streaming forward if he took a risk and stepped inside inside his pursuing opponent reeked of either fear of body contact or lack of spatial awareness.
Earlier examples diring the game and across most of his career suggest that he has good spatial awareness, whereas......

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 5:44pm

Yeah well, where nearly at the point where that needs to be explained. He had 24 possessions, but I don’t think one set up any goals.
Brad Hill in the coaches votes. Thought?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 6:04pm

Did you think Hill should have got votes?

No one ...repeat No One gave him votes on Saintsational

Some are little biased aren't they? Maybe it was takeaway giving the votes...just to annoy me :mrgreen: :lol:

B.M explains it best.

https://www.saintsational.net/viewtopic ... 9#p2051279

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Staggered. I noticed not one Saintsational supporter had him in their votes ( I know, so what?) and I can’t find one media report where he is listed in Saints best.

I think he was on Gulden. Maybe he was given votes for limiting his impact. I can’t explain it and I doubt too many people would be able to

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 7:50pm

Did you think Hill should have got votes?

No one ...repeat No One gave him votes on Saintsational

Some are little biased aren't they? Maybe it was takeaway giving the votes...just to annoy me :mrgreen: :lol:

B.M explains it best.

https://www.saintsational.net/viewtopic ... 9#p2051279

Yeah ok I’ve read a lot of garbage on here not sure Saintsational giving votes holds any weight.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 7:55pm
Yeah ok I’ve read a lot of garbage on here not sure Saintsational giving votes holds any weight.
With 1 minute to go until the final siren, King had proclaimed that Wilkie was best on ground on the Fox Footy coverage.

Low and behold...a large number of posters followed the so called 'experts'. It's happened before and it'll happen again. Most people are sheep

That's not how both coaches saw things!!

Although a lot on Saintsational voted for Wilkie...so did many of us vote for Phillipou to get the top votes.

We also voted for Henry and Marshall and Steele..but no one went for Hill. I reckon we do ok and our votes are quite accurate as a group.

I'd say many of us (as a collective) are just as knowledgeable as David King or Matthew Richardson or Luke Hodge or Luke Darcy or Cameron Ling

If you think we don't know footy, why the hell do you post and interact with anyone here? Are you just here to post incorrect information on Membrey?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 8:12pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 7:55pm
With 1 minute to go until the final siren, King had proclaimed that Wilkie was best on ground on the Fox Footy coverage.

Low and behold...a large number of posters followed the so called 'experts'. It's happened before and it'll happen again. Most people are sheep

That's not how both coaches saw things!!

Although a lot on Saintsational voted for Wilkie...so did many of us vote for Phillipou to get the top votes.

We also voted for Henry and Marshall and Steele..but no one went for Hill. I reckon we do ok and our votes are quite accurate as a group.

I'd say many of us (as a collective) are just as knowledgeable as David King or Matthew Richardson or Luke Hodge or Luke Darcy or Cameron Ling

If you think we don't know footy, why the hell do you post and interact with anyone here? Are you just here to post incorrect information on Membrey?
No I with held information on Membrey.

As I said there’s a lot of garbage on here. That’s as a collective including myself.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 8:23pm

As I said there’s a lot of garbage on here. That’s as a collective including myself.
You can 'say that again' :mrgreen:

Finally something we agree on

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 8:27pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 8:23pm

You can 'say that again' :mrgreen:

Finally something we agree on

I mean if blokes like The Dud and DB Cooper are serious

Cuckoo cuckoo cuckoo

Killa
Club Player

Hill does a mountain of work both presenting as an option and in negating the ball movement of the opposition

Players with elite running skills and patterns contribute - and we are improved because we now have Hill, Henry, Wood, Sinclair and Byrnes running around in our midfield

The other recent improvement has been Clark who just puts his body where it needs to be including to tackle very effectively

I would expect Byrnes to further improve to a very valuable player complimentary to team performance

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Well said. Hill was a good contributor. Not saying he was poor. Clark was also a good contributor.

Byrnes, Sinclair and Steele contributed more in my opinion

The coaches saw things differently. Was it John Longmire who thought Brad Hill was the difference in the second half...or was it the Saints coach (or his representative) that thought Hill was outstanding 🤔
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 08 Jul 2024 9:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The more I see of Wilson the more I like

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn’t have put Hill in our best 10

Clark I thought was poor

Wilson needs a rest

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Disagree on Clark. He contributed. Won contests and won clearance. He was involved in the last quarter as well putting pressure on Swans players. Probably ran out of gas towards the end. Disposal efficiency was poor.

Hill also contributed throughout the game but made some bad mistakes in the last quarter. 3 turnovers and 2 frees against.

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Killa wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 8:46pm Hill does a mountain of work both presenting as an option and in negating the ball movement of the opposition

Players with elite running skills and patterns contribute - and we are improved because we now have Hill, Henry, Wood, Sinclair and Byrnes running around in our midfield

The other recent improvement has been Clark who just puts his body where it needs to be including to tackle very effectively

I would expect Byrnes to further improve to a very valuable player complimentary to team performance
An ITK tells me Byrnes has outstanding leadership qualities, something that is not overly abundant at the club.

Throw in his desire, attack on the ball, endurance, and manic running and I can understand why RTB rates him. He is Pinocchio to RTB's Geppetto.

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 9:13pm Wouldn’t have put Hill in our best 10

Clark I thought was poor

Wilson needs a rest
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2024 8:07am
B.M wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2024 9:13pm Wouldn’t have put Hill in our best 10

Clark I thought was poor

Wilson needs a rest
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Why would you mock someone for a pre-emptive call on a young player?

This is Darcy's 1st year in the AFL.

Even the number 1 draft pick in Harley Reid was managed.

You don't normally play 18 and 19 year olds for a full season. There used to be only 22 games but the season is now longer (albeit with the bye round).

We saw last year after round 16-17 onwards that Phillipou started dropping off in form and that impacted his confidence and his performance into 2024.

What I'd do is rest him completely (perhaps make him sub or emergency) and then play him 2 weeks in the VFL. Can you imagine what a boost it will give him if he plays VFL and gets over 30 possessions?

The coaching group have done a pretty good job, but some of their decisions have been reactive and after the fact.