What’s going on with Owens?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: What’s going on with Owens?

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2024 7:42pm That’s a position- not a measure of performance

You can be great in any position

I see him as an Aaron Hamill type, was hoping for a Nat Fyfe type but he doesn’t look to have the running capability
Apparently the knock on him is over disposal, not running capability.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think he is just plain out of form- seems to be continually out of position when the ball comes forward and drifts out of the game a bit too much. I think he can do a lot better, but needs more consistency.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2024 12:23pm
B.M wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2024 7:42pm That’s a position- not a measure of performance

You can be great in any position

I see him as an Aaron Hamill type, was hoping for a Nat Fyfe type but he doesn’t look to have the running capability
Apparently the knock on him is over disposal, not running capability.
Nat Fyfe says hello

This excuse from coaches is them basically being conservative. They don't want the criticism for trying things that are different

Chris Scott was willing to try Sam De Konig in the ruck. He was willing to try Tom Stewart in the middle ( and why wouldn't you - he's the prototype of a beast mid - similar size to Owens)

Scott was willing to back his players...but he also he wasn't afraid to cop the criticism if things didn't work out.

For the long term benefit of the St Kilda team we need Owens in the middle. Not for a quarter or two or a game here and there, but for the rest of the year and continuing into 2025

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Should have been tried already, I fully agree. Perhaps he is also regarded as a little slow, but put a ball in front of him that needs to be won and he is quite explosive over 15-20 metres.

Also, he takes the game on and there’s a lot to be said for that. That is exactly what we need in a midfield that seems more intent on stopping and negating than actually creating. As you say, what do we have to lose by trying a few things.