Windhager 50

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Windhager 50

The_Dud wrote: Wed 19 Jun 2024 11:29am
CURLY wrote: Wed 19 Jun 2024 10:16am
The_Dud wrote: Wed 19 Jun 2024 9:57am
CURLY wrote: Wed 19 Jun 2024 9:26am
meher baba wrote: Wed 19 Jun 2024 6:39am I’m with The Dud on this.

Watching the game, I felt it was going to be a 50 before it was played. He wasn’t in the marking contest and he ran to completely the wrong spot. They might have directed him to run 5m back to the actual spot, but It was open to them to interpret his action as deliberately trying to slow down the play, and they did.

Perhaps Windhager just inadvertently ran to the wrong spot. If so, bad luck for him. But I have to say that it looked like a deliberate ploy to slow down the play.

If you don’t want a 50 paid against you, stand on the right spot. It surely isn’t that hard.

The failure to give a 50 against the Pies was a far worse piece of umpiring IMO.

As for the King decision against the GC. All of the armchair experts who say it wasn’t there - including the AFL - neglect to point out that the only close up footage of the incident is obscured by the goal post at a crucial point. Why the AFL decided to hang one of the umps out to dry on the basis of that evidence bewilders me.

McLachlan was right to admit the goal umpire error in Adelaide last year because it determined finals places, was abysmally poor work by the ump and was plainly there for all to see. But this doesn’t mean that the AFL needs to explain/excuse every game-determining umpiring decision. It should back its employees.

What about the good old “the umpires are best-placed to make these calls”? It’s actually true for the most part. The AFL should run with that line.
He didnt run over the mark at all he came from with in the protected area.
...and stood 5m over the mark! :shock:
He was already there an umpire without an agenda would have said come back. But nope bang.
#learntherules
Speak the truth.

Windhager did not run into the protected area.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 19 Jun 2024 11:43am

Watching the game, I felt it was going to be a 50 before it was played. He wasn’t in the marking contest and he ran to completely the wrong spot. They might have directed him to run 5m back to the actual spot, but It was open to them to interpret his action as deliberately trying to slow down the play, and they did.

Perhaps Windhager just inadvertently ran to the wrong spot. If so, bad luck for him. But I have to say that it looked like a deliberate ploy to slow down the play.

If you don’t want a 50 paid against you, stand on the right spot. It surely isn’t that hard.

The failure to give a 50 against the Pies was a far worse piece of umpiring IMO.

As for the King decision against the GC. All of the armchair experts who say it wasn’t there - including the AFL - neglect to point out that the only close up footage of the incident is obscured by the goal post at a crucial point. Why the AFL decided to hang one of the umps out to dry on the basis of that evidence bewilders me.

McLachlan was right to admit the goal umpire error in Adelaide last year because it determined finals places, was abysmally poor work by the ump and was plainly there for all to see. But this doesn’t mean that the AFL needs to explain/excuse every game-determining umpiring decision. It should back its employees.

What about the good old “the umpires are best-placed to make these calls”? It’s actually true for the most part. The AFL should run with that line.
He was already there an umpire without an agenda would have said come back. But nope bang.
#learntherules
Speak the truth.

Genuine question, why are you this way Curly? Why are you so ignorant to information so readily available? Why do you have such passion for complaining about umpiring yet are so uneducated about the rules?

I already posted this to make it easy for you, its pretty clear...

19. FIFTY METRE PENALTY

19.2 WHEN IMPOSED
Where a field Umpire has awarded a Mark or Free Kick to a Player, or a Player is preparing
to bring or bringing the football back into play after a Behind is scored, a Fifty Metre
Penalty in favour of that Player will be awarded if the field Umpire is of the opinion that
any Player or Official from the opposing Team:

(d) enters or does not make every endeavour to immediately vacate the Protected
Area
, except when the Player is accompanying or following within two metres
of their opponent;

He didn't try vacate the area and just stood 5m over the mark. Clear 50. Not even debatable.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 19 Jun 2024 5:41pm

#learntherules
Speak the truth.

Genuine question, why are you this way Curly? Why are you so ignorant to information so readily available? Why do you have such passion for complaining about umpiring yet are so uneducated about the rules?

19. FIFTY METRE PENALTY

19.2 WHEN IMPOSED
Where a field Umpire has awarded a Mark or Free Kick to a Player, or a Player is preparing
to bring or bringing the football back into play after a Behind is scored, a Fifty Metre
Penalty in favour of that Player will be awarded if the field Umpire is of the opinion that

Area
of their opponent;

He didn't try vacate the area and just stood 5m over the mark. Clear 50. Not even debatable.
One could also ask why you feel the need to continual defend maggots. Effing boring and tedious in the extreme. So give it a rest for f***'s sake. And ours.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 19 Jun 2024 5:55pm

#learntherules
Speak the truth.

19. FIFTY METRE PENALTY

19.2 WHEN IMPOSED

Area
of their opponent;

One could also ask why you feel the need to continual defend maggots. Effing boring and tedious in the extreme. So give it a rest for f***'s sake. And ours.
One could also ask why you (and Curly) feel the need to continually attack umpires. Effing boring and tedious in the extreme. So give it a rest for f***'s sake. And ours.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

#learntherules
Speak the truth.

19. FIFTY METRE PENALTY

19.2 WHEN IMPOSED

Area
of their opponent;

Never called back and again no call of stand which apparently now needs to happen. He was in the protected area in fact the Brisbane player ran past him.

Umpire chose to ignore any form of common sense.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

#learntherules

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2024 11:04am #learntherules
As we've seen they're just rough guidelines.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

How about this .... for next time

Windy clearly drifted 2-3m over the spot where Logan Morris marked the footy.

Windy wasn't his direct opponent.

If it was a case of the defender wanting to get back to help out, well bad luck. It should have been Morris's direct opponent (Battle or Shooey or whoever it was) standing the mark

Players could communicate better in a situation where this happens and as long as someone stands the mark, mids or a winger like Wood or a ruckman can get back to help

Windhager COULD have pointed to a spot where a mark was taken and gone close to that mark and stood there....but he didn't.

You're inviting trouble. Umpires love the theatre of a 50m. Don't give them the opportunity to pay it. Simple

Don't put yourself in a situation where an umpire has the ability to bend us over. Some umpires are power trippers. If you give them an excuse to screw you...they will!!

King Max
Club Player

If Windhager’s was “ Most clear-cut 50 you will ever see.”

Where does this sit on the Windhager scale?

3 minutes to go. 1 point down

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We had the momentum in that last quarter and we couldn't score a goal for the last 12-13 minutes.

That's why we lost. The above is ok by me. Not worthy of a 50m penalty. The block on Butler was borderline too, so not the reason we lost.

The free against Steele in a marking contest against Georgiades was dubious but the umpires didn't impact the result imo. They were terrible for both sides at times throughout.

Not being able to convert our inside 50's and not being able to capitalise on the work up the field from our mids and backline is the reason we're losing this year.

Jack Steele took a courageous mark in the backline which set up the opportunity for Jack Higgins to kick a goal. Steele handpassed to Caminiti who ran well and kicked it to Butler who marked well on the 50m line.

Higgins fluffed it. There were 8 minutes left on the clock. It's demoralising for the team when they play so well and they are criticised for a so called boring game and 'low scores'.

The umpires didn't impact Jack Higgins kick from 35 m out on a slight angle.

It's ironic that I was praising Snags (in another thread) for his efforts this year along with his goals and goal assists.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2024 4:10pm If Windhager’s was “ Most clear-cut 50 you will ever see.”

Where does this sit on the Windhager scale?

3 minutes to go. 1 point down

Good pick up

Coming from behind .... well over from where the mark was taken ..... nothing to see here

Would have broken Kenny's fragile heart .... but we can't have that

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!