Rory Lobb

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

happy feet
Club Player

Re: Rory Lobb

I must admit my initial reaction was a firm no, but I felt the same when we gave Michael Gardiner another chance, look how great he was for us.

Why not, we have nothing to lose.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2024 12:44pm I must admit my initial reaction was a firm no, but I felt the same when we gave Michael Gardiner another chance, look how great he was for us.

Why not, we have nothing to lose.
Not comparing apples to apples.
Gardiner's ability and performance was never the issue. He had a reputation off the field.

Lobb has never been prone to off-field dramas, but his on-field performances have been wanting.
That said, his last season at Freo was his best. He, like other recruited tall forwards, has struggled to fir in at the Dogs.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sometimes players just don’t work at clubs

Grundy - Melbourne - never a good fit!

Why WB recruited Lobb when they had Naughton, JUH, Darcy
I’ll never know?!

You trade for need - he was the last player they needed

We on the other hand need a forward ruck - if Hayes is no good

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Trouble is that he's contracted until the end of 2026, so unless the Dogs de-list him, we will have to pay.
He was traded for pick 30 and a future 2nd rounder.
Understandable that the Dogs would want to recoup some of the losses.
He is not worth anymore than a future 3rd rounder on current form and age.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2024 1:53pm Sometimes players just don’t work at clubs

I’ll never know?!

We may well need a fwd/ruck, but Lobb is as soft as butter and has zero game awareness and he always asks for a huge price tag (in excess of $800k.)
Put simply he's a s*** footballer and we shouldn't think twice of rejecting the prospect of trading for him.

SteeleSaints
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2024 1:53pm Sometimes players just don’t work at clubs

I’ll never know?!

Lobb hasn't worked at any club he is the most over rated spud in the competition. He plays one or two half decent games a year and because of his size people get excited. Agree the Dogs were idiots signing him when they knew they had Darcy coming through, if we even look at him I would spew.

Its an absolute no from me - he would be a complete waste of money, the club who takes him on would do better donating the $$$ to charity.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2024 4:51pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2024 2:23pm It's interesting with Caminiti going to defence. It probably means he won't be the 2nd ruck option.

I reckon if Max King doesn't start crashing packs consistently and if he doesn't show Ross Lyon that he's the number 1 tall rooster in that forward line then Ross will be forced to play him as the 2nd ruck.

Leigh Matthews said that's a way of "force feeding" physical contact into his game.
Has to be trialled as a Ruck/Forward, I’ve spoke directly to Ross about it but he’s being stubborn.
Hope Lyon told you to f*** off.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2024 4:38pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2024 4:51pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2024 2:23pm It's interesting with Caminiti going to defence. It probably means he won't be the 2nd ruck option.

I reckon if Max King doesn't start crashing packs consistently and if he doesn't show Ross Lyon that he's the number 1 tall rooster in that forward line then Ross will be forced to play him as the 2nd ruck.

Leigh Matthews said that's a way of "force feeding" physical contact into his game.
Has to be trialled as a Ruck/Forward, I’ve spoke directly to Ross about it but he’s being stubborn.
Hope Lyon told you to f*** off.
You looking for some love St Raimondo

Here’s a kiss. 💋

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2024 10:47pm Personally, I think taking Rory Lobb would be great for St Kilda. It's going to solve 2 issues. Firstly, it'll help RoMa...and secondly it's going to help Max King.

At the moment we don't have anyone as experienced or as good as Lobb who can fulfil the role of a forward who is also handy as relief ruck.

This is what Leigh Matthews thinks we should do at St Kilda. I don't think Max King is fit enough to ruck, but perhaps we need to force him to play as second ruck, so that the message gets through. Get fit. Lift your work rate. Lift your intensity.

Leigh Matthews' thoughts usually merit consideration. I think its worth a try.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

If Leigh had used Daniel Bradshaw and Alistair Lynch as ruckman I'd be more inclined to take the suggestion seriously.
I suppose Amarty should have a go as well , Longmire protecting his key forward by resting him after 9 goals misguided?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Amartey has been used as a ruckman. Check his stats and his player profile. He's also played as a defender in the NEAFL. The whole idea about playing talls in different positions is to help them develop their overall game.

We've used Mich Owens and Anthony Caminiti in the ruck. Why shouldn't King be used? He might be better than the other two. He's 202cm. He might be able to help his team get first use.

You never know...Lethal might be right. It could improve Max as a KP forward. That's why it should be tried.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

And if people think Max should be 'protected' and stay out of the ruck because it's too physical....then maybe Max should change careers and do basketball or swimming as his preferred sport.

We're not talking about asking him to get in a boxing ring, or to go from playing Aussie rules to playing Rugby Union

Darth Vader
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2024 2:09am And if people think Max should be 'protected' and stay out of the ruck because it's too physical....then maybe Max should change careers and do basketball or swimming as his preferred sport.

We're not talking about asking him to get in a boxing ring, or to go from playing Aussie rules to playing Rugby Union
100%. Definitely worth a try. Need to find a way to get him into the game more. Even Plugger used to ruck sometimes.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Never liked him.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

We're looking good for 2025 :lol:
Hopefully bring in talent like Barrass, Phillips & Lobb whilst only losing Battle.

B: Grainger Barrass - Wilkie - Stocker
Bonner NWM Cordy

M: Wilson Dow Wood
Marshall Steele Phillips

F: Hill Henry Higgins
Lobb King Owens

INT: Windhager Butler Shoenmaker Clark
SUB: Phillipou

EMG: Sinclair Camanitti Sharman Hastie
I think we are looking that string that Sincs may struggle to get a game.

OUTS:
Retired
Webster - Membrey - Crouch - Ross
FA
Battle
Delisted
Jones - Allison - Byrnes - Van Es - McLennan - Hotton
Traded
Howard

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Because Lobb is Sooooooooooooooo inconsistent he would be a gamble but he may be the type of player that could help the team, in the short term.
Let's see if the club's List Management group put a bid in for him during the trade frenzy post season. :lol:

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

We need a crashing overhead smash, not a Lobb. No thanks. There will be netter options. Don't forget we've got Heath, Hayes and Keeler waiting in the wings. They could well step into the breach.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2024 10:06pm We need a crashing overhead smash, not a Lobb. No thanks. There will be netter options. Don't forget we've got Heath, Hayes and Keeler waiting in the wings. They could well step into the breach.
What's a netter option, will he win us a flag ?

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
repta
Club Player

So where are the saints?
Lobb is a small fix for now.
He will keep one of Caminiti Hayes or Sharman out of the team. Stop one or more of the developing. .

Is Lobb part of our.next premiership team? I don't think so.
Can he teach or lead. I don't believe so

Therefore he is a list clogger. Not going to get any better. Average at best

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2024 11:36pm So where are the saints?
Lobb is a small fix for now.
He will keep one of Caminiti Hayes or Sharman out of the team. Stop one or more of the developing. .

Is Lobb part of our.next premiership team? I don't think so.
Can he teach or lead. I don't believe so

Therefore he is a list clogger. Not going to get any better. Average at best
Great post. Lobb is definitely not part of our next premiership team.

The evolution of the side will occur over the next five years. Short cuts are going to make you competitive but they come at a cost. They bite you in the long run.

The motivation is for people like Silvagni and Ross Lyon to extend their careers for short term selfish needs. It's contrary to what the club has been presenting to it's members.

You have to wonder why we bother recruiting 18 or 19 year olds if Saints don't want to bother putting in the hard yards and developing the young blokes

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

bobmurray wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2024 11:16pm
Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2024 10:06pm We need a crashing overhead smash, not a Lobb. No thanks. There will be netter options. Don't forget we've got Heath, Hayes and Keeler waiting in the wings. They could well step into the breach.
What's a netter option, will he win us a flag ?
No, bobmurray. No he won't.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I haven't see any good arguments put forward as to why St Kilda should make a bid for Rory Lobb.

As someone has pointed out, he has a contract with Footscray and would come at a considerable cost if indeed he did ask to be traded to another team.

And as Scollop said, the club is on a journey to develop the list's youth which will pay far greater dividends than paying overs for an average player who turns 32 next February.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I know it will never happen but we should be offering Shai Bolton a godfather offer if he’s available. Reported that he wants to go back to WA.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Fri 21 Jun 2024 2:09am And if people think Max should be 'protected' and stay out of the ruck because it's too physical....then maybe Max should change careers and do basketball or swimming as his preferred sport.

This is just how we were with Rhys Stanley.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Max hasn't had a single hit-out this season. In his first season, he had 17 according to AFL Tables and has had 34 throughout his 82-game career.

Interestingly, Ben has had a total of 4 hit-outs in his 86-game career, and they were all in the 2021 season.

Source: AFL Tables

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.