Geary leadership gone to the dogs.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geary leadership gone to the dogs.

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 29 Oct 2023 2:05pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 26 Oct 2023 9:30pm I'm always confused as to how Geary being courageous, translated into good leadership.

I'm not sure Geary was much good at all. Even hos courageous behaviour cost him dearly on the injury toll in the end.
Nothing against Jarryn, but I think he is just another player we completely overrated.
Personally, I'll take on board statements ....over a supporter on an anonymous internet forum...
Personally, I recommend one doesn't swallow all the board decisions.

Countries start wars
Industries disappear in strikes
Governments commit treason

all kinds of stuff happens

I recommend the argument - look at the argument and weigh it up.

if a stinky gutter snipe crawls along the street and mutters something plausible...i say listen..fair enough ..it no guarantee that the thing he said before or later will be worth tuppance, but a good argument is a good argument.
We made a lot of bad decisions 2010 -2022 as a club.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 29 Oct 2023 8:59pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 26 Oct 2023 9:30pm I'm always confused as to how Geary being courageous, translated into good leadership.

I'm not sure Geary was much good at all. Even hos courageous behaviour cost him dearly on the injury toll in the end.
Nothing against Jarryn, but I think he is just another player we completely overrated.
Personally, I'll take on board statements ....over a supporter on an anonymous internet forum...

Countries start wars

if a stinky gutter snipe crawls along the street and mutters something plausible...i say listen..fair enough ..it no guarantee that the thing he said before or later will be worth tuppance, but a good argument is a good argument.
Very deceptive if not disingenuous post by you Shane.

Below is what was written, is it not in breach of forum rules to alter a fellow forumites post when re-quoting, even when adding a few full stops?

Personally, I'll take on board statements from Hayes, Hamill, Reiwoldt, Jones, Ray, Ratten, and the board & football departments that endorsed his elevation to captaincy as an indication of Geary's leadership qualities over a supporter on an anonymous internet forum.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 29 Oct 2023 9:16pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 29 Oct 2023 8:59pm

Countries start wars

Very deceptive if not disingenuous post by you Shane.

Below is what was written, is it not in breach of forum rules to alter a fellow forumites post when re-quoting, even when adding a few full stops?

Personally, I'll take on board statements from Hayes, Hamill, Reiwoldt, Jones, Ray, Ratten, and the board & football departments that endorsed his elevation to captaincy as an indication of Geary's leadership qualities over a supporter on an anonymous internet forum.

Yeah..OK

Principle stands and I'll stand by it.

Don't swallow everything a board resolves to do.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Jarryn played 200 games

Captained an AFL club
Finished podium in a few B&Fs
Played on and beat Cyril, Betts, Walters etc…

A great back pocket!

One of the most courageous saints I’ve ever seen!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Looking back at the era he was captain and looking at the movements in leadership since, the football department review and the shocking player development that has gone on on the past, I'm not sure Geary was much good at all. Even hos courageous behaviour cost him dearly on the injury toll in the end.
Personally, I'll take on board statements from Hayes, Hamill, Reiwoldt, Jones, Ray, Ratten, and the board & football departments that endorsed his elevation to captaincy as an indication of Geary's leadership qualities over a supporter on an anonymous internet forum. Regardless of the lack of success in that era, the honor of leading a professional sporting organisation is not awarded to a player who does not display high level leadership skills.

I have not played sport above local level, but have been exposed to international level sport, and can state that anyone who has witnessed the inner workings of an elite environment would not question the leadership of a professional sportsman such as Jarryn Geary on the basis of their opinion of his football ability.

Players and coaches could state he is courageous, he's a great bloke etc and leave it at that, but they all mention he is a leader, and Hayes says he saw it early in Geary's career. Now the Bulldog's have appointed him and good luck to him.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/from-r ... f79b1b16ba

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/fro ... 56141.html

https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/jarr ... -st-kilda/

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1057264/for ... -continues
Captains lead. Geary lead. Standards don't matter? Skills are one thing, results must be another. Just saying.

I did say I was harsh and we all know he was relatively unsuccessful as a captain.

What did Riewoldt say this year about the leadership standards at St.Kilda over the last however long. Good leaders create good leaders. That was the plan when Roo, Joey and Dempster stood down.

When people give their endorsements based on potential leaders, they are often held to account when results reveal themselves.

Lenny, Harvey, Goddard, whoever, back at the club setting standards because their words and endorsements were wrong and that matters.

At some point, we are all held to account.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

One thing I think some might agree about , is that infield leadership was bad after Geary left.

Sanctorum
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 30 Oct 2023 1:51am One thing I think some might agree about , is that infield leadership was bad after Geary left.
That's true Shane and reflects adversely on Jack Steele who succeeded Geary as skipper. It goes to prove that even one of the team's best players does not necessarily possess the attributes to be a strong leader. Club legend Robert Harvey was another one.

There's no question that this is a really important aspect of the game because there were times in the past season when, with a lot of young blokes on the ground, the lack of on-field leadership led to poor outcomes.

Currently I can't think of any experienced St Kilda player who stands out as a natural born on-field leader, with Callum Wilkie probably the closest.

Of the new young fellas I think Mattaes Phillipou is a likely prospect once he matures as a player.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 30 Oct 2023 12:14pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 30 Oct 2023 1:51am One thing I think some might agree about , is that infield leadership was bad after Geary left.
That's true Shane and reflects adversely on Jack Steele who succeeded Geary as skipper. It goes to prove that even one of the team's best players does not necessarily possess the attributes to be a strong leader. Club legend Robert Harvey was another one.

There's no question that this is a really important aspect of the game because there were times in the past season when, with a lot of young blokes on the ground, the lack of on-field leadership led to poor outcomes.

Currently I can't think of any experienced St Kilda player who stands out as a natural born on-field leader, with Callum Wilkie probably the closest.

Of the new young fellas I think Mattaes Phillipou is a likely prospect once he matures as a player.
Wilkie and Sinclair have assembled and controlled the best defence in the competition while becoming All Australians.

There are your leaders. Try Rowan Marshall too. We didn't draft them in the top 10, they weren't stars but they have achieved through there efforts and results and they inspire others to be better.

Whats the hold up?

Roo was ranking Richo, Ratten and Geary, no doubt about it.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Couple of points

Captaincy is overrated, even more so than coaching- and that’s saying something!!!

Secondly,

I love both Steele and Harvey as Captains. The only thing I ever wanted from a Captain is unquestionable and uncompromising effort to the non negotiables - Courage, defence, Effort

Because if the skipper is willing to do those - all might follow!!!

Harvey, Geary, Hayes, Riewoldt, Burke, Barker - all gave 100% commitment to the cause. That’s all that counts imo

But again
Captaincy, overrated. I hardly even remember who was captains of teams I played at. Completely irrelevant to how I approached any game or played in any game!