Champion data on our midfield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Champion data on our midfield

Otiman wrote: Sat 08 Jul 2023 4:41pm Hill is a good example of an outside player with courage.

It's been so long since I've seen Billings play, that I can't recall if he has it.
You sir are a comedian!
If I had to name 100 outside AFL players with courage not sure I'd find a spot for Hill, his sense of self preservation reigns supreme.

Fair insult to Billings to be even spoken about in same paragraph as Hill if the discussion is about courage.
As Scollop said Billings can be in a rush with his disposal when an opponent is bearing down, but never seen him take a short step to avoid contact.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 08 Jul 2023 3:19pm Billings is

1- very strong in the air for his size 184cm
2- very courageous

Never seen him shirk an issue?

He’s obviously an outside player, which suits his skill set - but he’s not a cat
'Very strong in the air for his size 184cm.'

Billings averages 5 marks a game.
.8 of one of them is contested. remarkably only .8 of his courageous marks are inside 50.
He also averages 21 disposals, 6 of them are contested.
If he manages to find a contest, let's hope he doesn't shirk it.

As a comparison, Bradley Hill is not renowned for being very courageous but averages 4 marks a game. 0 are contested.

He averages 20 possessions a game and 4 are contested.

While it's safe to Hill is avoiding contests, it's fair to say that Billings isn't going out of his way to create them.

His most dangerous position is outside the play recieving and dispatching forward. His inability to win contested football isn't a blight on his character, just his abilities.

Billings can hold a mark that is kicked to him without anyone there to contest it. Big deal.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Do you understand different football positions

Stats are only relevant to the position they play

There is a huge difference between inside and outside

There is a huge difference between key position and a small

Contested possessions are obviously won by inside Mids in the main part - about half of their possessions
Outside players more like 20-25%

Same with contested marks
KPPs that average more than 2 per game is very good - and they are getting it kicked to them constantly in contested situations

Smalls who average more than 1 per game is very good
1 - it is not normally their strength or job to take contested marks
2 - it isn’t kicked to them in a contest as much

Statistics are relevant to position

It’s nigh on impossible for Billings to average
More possessions, more contested possessions and more contested marks - given his role, attributes and capabilities

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We recruited Billings with the intention of playing him in the midfield. Unfortunately he didn't make the cut.

The thread is about 'midfield' so sorry if I'm repeating what's already been discussed ad infinitum, but Jack isn't assisting our mids. I'd be surprised if he lines up at any centre square' bounces.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 08 Jul 2023 6:11pm Do you understand different football positions

Stats are only relevant to the position they play

There is a huge difference between inside and outside

There is a huge difference between key position and a small

Contested possessions are obviously won by inside Mids in the main part - about half of their possessions
Outside players more like 20-25%

Same with contested marks
KPPs that average more than 2 per game is very good - and they are getting it kicked to them constantly in contested situations

Smalls who average more than 1 per game is very good
1 - it is not normally their strength or job to take contested marks
2 - it isn’t kicked to them in a contest as much

Statistics are relevant to position

It’s nigh on impossible for Billings to average
More possessions, more contested possessions and more contested marks - given his role, attributes and capabilities
You've seen Billings do one or two courageous things and checked his marks and all of a sudden he is courageous and good in the air.

Good in the air is fairly easy when 4.2 of your 5 marks are uncontested.

I knew what you are talking about but you didn't. Taking uncontested marks doesn't make you strong in the air, it just means you have a basic skill accomplished. It has nothing to do with where he plays. Nothing suggests he is strong in the air.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Always been a good mark for his size

Everyone knows that - except you

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Our midfield magically vastly improved tonight..why????
Sinclair played FT mid - most possession (Windy HB)
Jones provided a point of difference
Steele back to his best
Find an additional gun mid or 2 next year lookout

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 08 Jul 2023 9:38pm Always been a good mark for his size

Everyone knows that - except you
Haha. He's gone from 'very strong overhead' to 'a good mark for his size'.

Billings - 185cm, 168 games, 780 marks, 50 contested

Isaac Heeney 186cm, 168 games, 837 marks, 159 contested.

One of these blokes is a 'very strong mark' for his size. Can you guess which it is and how his rating makes the other one look pretty average.

And yeah I know, Billings is skillful and courageous and he tries hard.

I guess when it come to contested marking, Heeney is just more courageous, probably because he can win contested football and is actually very very very strong over head. Probably not skillful enough to play high half foward like Billings.
Billings very strong overhead marking would be wasted in a goal kicking role, like MEDIUM forward, in the VFL.
Another 6 very strong uncontested marks again tonight.

Jack is no chicken but he's no rooster either.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Billings is an interesting prospect as he is incredibly strong overhead for his height in the same mould as a Jamie Elliot but still has the outside polish and athleticism to move into the midfield. The main question mark over Billings is whether he can develop into a more permanent midfielder like others in the draft top ten this year.
Aside from his overhead marking, Billings is also strong at ground level and in contested situations which makes him a very valuable asset to AFL clubs, particularly those looking to add another dimension to their forward line such as Brisbane who have aging keys and players such as Dayne Zorko who would be freed up to spend more time in the midfield should Billings make his way to the Gabba.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 3:27am Billings is an interesting prospect as he is incredibly strong overhead for his height in the same mould as a Jamie Elliot but still has the outside polish and athleticism to move into the midfield. The main question mark over Billings is whether he can develop into a more permanent midfielder like others in the draft top ten this year.
Aside from his overhead marking, Billings is also strong at ground level and in contested situations which makes him a very valuable asset to AFL clubs, particularly those looking to add another dimension to their forward line such as Brisbane who have aging keys and players such as Dayne Zorko who would be freed up to spend more time in the midfield should Billings make his way to the Gabba.
Haha.

Champion Data is over rated.
They present actual stats that dont align with BM's narrative.
Now the genius is contemplating Billings DEVELOPMENT as a mid, makes him interesting and likely to go up to Brisbane so he can assist Cameron and Bailey running around, they need some of Jack courageousness, skill and extremely strong overhead marking.

Maybe we could get a swap for Bailey.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think you missed the point?

That wasn’t my summation btw

I just don’t think you are very knowledgeable about the game and or players

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 5:03am I think you missed the point?

You lost me at Billings extremely strong overhead marking. You don't have a point. You are fanboy rambling about another bloke who we couldn't give away, suddenly being an extremely valuable asset to Brisbane.

What's extremely strong about his over head marking? You do know cchest marks arent overhead mark, right?
But seriously, do they coaches know this.
Should he have been leading out of a pocket, taking extremely strong overhead marks and kicking 50 goals a year, or should we stick with his career 50 contested marks. The ones he averages once every 3 and a half games. I think he has had more games lost to soft tissue injury than he has contested marks.

You had just finished telling me how obvious it was that Billings skill set suits an outside game. All his stats point at an outside game.
But now, he is extremely strong at grabbing overhead marks and strong in contested situations, unless they are getting contested marks or contested possessions, but he looks strong.
The main problem with Billings is what, whether he can develop into a mid but the solution might be that he can play forward for Brisbane so Zorko can play more mid time.

Yeah, I dont think I'm anywhere near as knowledgeable as you.
Should I talk about my 400 games and 9 years coaching now. Lol

That s*** you come up with was just amazing, did you just squeeze that out or have did bagged it earlier, so you could put it on the mantle and admire it.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 5:03am I think you missed the point?

While your hanging onto a fluff piece w=itten for a draft profile 10 years ago I just checked Billings highlights. I counted 2 overhead marks both uncontested.

The best mark I saw him take should have ben an overhead mark, but he jumped early and took it on his chest.
The majority of his marks were Aussie Jones like. Running his ass off to a pass put well out in front of him which he took on his chest. He is the Buddy Franklin of medium forwards.
They few marks he took in his hands were taken in leads, in front of his face. That's not an overhead mark and was most certainly the type of strength they were talking about. I concede that if the pass is flat and lace out, there isn't anything wrong with Billings hands, he just won't raise them above his head.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 09 Jul 2023 3:27am Billings is an interesting prospect as he is incredibly strong overhead for his height in the same mould as a Jamie Elliot but still has the outside polish and athleticism to move into the midfield. The main question mark over Billings is whether he can develop into a more permanent midfielder like others in the draft top ten this year.
Just on the ‘style’ of post above and your wording. It doesn’t seem like it’s you B.M

Who wrote the above? Was it a ChatBot or does tedTheodorelogan2018 reside with you?