Less vulgar commentator review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Re: Less vulgar commentator review

skeptic wrote: Fri 09 Jun 2023 11:11am Criticism of the commentary has been around on this forum and likely most others for as long as I can remember.

My sense is that it’s almost universally hated… every channel, every station, 90% of the broadcasters, year after year.

I’ve never really gotten it.

The format is pretty simple.
You have a play by play commentator and then you have people there to provide colour commentary (match analysis, opinions, details on incidents/talking points etc). The idea is that that stuff is supposed to keep it interesting during the slow parts of play with play by play less important on TV because you have the too.

It all seems relatively inoffensive to me. Don’t really understand why it bothers people so much. With regards to the commentary last night… people seem incensed with the discussion of the Dan Butler tackle with Daisy being singled out as the main culprit but it seems to me, at least while they thought it was a concussion, that it was identified as something that would be a big talking point.
And all of them engaged in the conversation and the replay showed it over and over.

And let’s be honest… games like last night aren’t exactly filled with exciting play by play moments. There was one goal in the first quarter.
They lean in to colour to keep the audience.

I don’t get what the big deal is. Perhaps, as I pointed out elsewhere… my expectations are just sooooo low that it can’t bother me
Agree totally, can’t say I focus at all on the commentary and am often surprised to then read on here about their bias, dislike of the Saints etc.

The only one I really struggle to listen to is Kelli Underwood, and that is more the tone of her voice than her content.

I don’t mind Daisy at all, agree she over talks a little but I think she does a reasonable job.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Less vulgar commentator review

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 12 Jun 2023 7:09am
skeptic wrote: Fri 09 Jun 2023 11:11am Criticism of the commentary has been around on this forum and likely most others for as long as I can remember.

My sense is that it’s almost universally hated… every channel, every station, 90% of the broadcasters, year after year.

I’ve never really gotten it.

The format is pretty simple.
You have a play by play commentator and then you have people there to provide colour commentary (match analysis, opinions, details on incidents/talking points etc). The idea is that that stuff is supposed to keep it interesting during the slow parts of play with play by play less important on TV because you have the too.

It all seems relatively inoffensive to me. Don’t really understand why it bothers people so much. With regards to the commentary last night… people seem incensed with the discussion of the Dan Butler tackle with Daisy being singled out as the main culprit but it seems to me, at least while they thought it was a concussion, that it was identified as something that would be a big talking point.
And all of them engaged in the conversation and the replay showed it over and over.

And let’s be honest… games like last night aren’t exactly filled with exciting play by play moments. There was one goal in the first quarter.
They lean in to colour to keep the audience.

I don’t get what the big deal is. Perhaps, as I pointed out elsewhere… my expectations are just sooooo low that it can’t bother me
Agree totally, can’t say I focus at all on the commentary and am often surprised to then read on here about their bias, dislike of the Saints etc.

The only one I really struggle to listen to is Kelli Underwood, and that is more the tone of her voice than her content.

I don’t mind Daisy at all, agree she over talks a little but I think she does a reasonable job.
All fair points skeptic & D.B.. I just think with 9 games to be televised there's a shortage of quality commentators. Like the fixture, we will usually cop the poorer of what's available.

FWIW, I prefer Kelli Underwood to many others. If it's tone that bothers you, then I don't know how do you sit through Dwayne Russell.

The issue I have with the likes of our "expert" commentators is that Richo & Daisy purely read out stats, stats that are mostly insignificant and say something obvious as if telling the viewer to suck eggs - all that is muteable but the noise of the game is missed.

Whilst on my soapbox, the after the fact "big plasma" graphics that King & Co love pointing out is a wank. Americanising a sport that's not American - this is not gridiron, plays are not predictable or planned as if the coaches and players know where the opposition set up. We are all experts after the fact. Let's face it, usually an act of brilliance or a brain fade results in a score.