Long Trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

wally
Club Player

Re: Long Trade

Are they really offering $600 ? Hasn’t been mentioned in the media seems alot

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 8:05am
Devilhead wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 10:12pm What are the chances that Long finds consistency at GC?

He never found it with us ...... why with them?

Let's face it Long is or was the poster boy for us being a middling team ..... decent game ..... unsighted ....... half decent ....... unsighted ....... reserves ........ rinse and repeat
You forgot to add....play out of his skin in a dead rubber to show his wares to a prospective buyer.

A bit like Dunstan the year before that type of motivation is not sustainable for delivering good performance on a consistent basis which GC might find out the hard way if they are willing to pay overs.

Personally the figure of 600k being mention on the socials seams like BS however the world has truly gone mad if that type of money is available for spuds.

He'll walk for a third rounder at best but could be a 4th rounder realistically.
You’ll end up with egg on your face with your predictions on Benny just like most of your footballing calls in the past

I’m amazed at how authoritative your posts are for someone who usually gets it wrong. Well done. Credit to you for the way you deliver the message

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 9:32am
Devilhead wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 10:12pm What are the chances that Long finds consistency at GC?

Let's face it Long is or was the poster boy for us being a middling team ..... decent game ..... unsighted ....... half decent ....... unsighted ....... reserves ........ rinse and repeat
You forgot to add....play out of his skin in a dead rubber to show his wares to a prospective buyer.

A bit like Dunstan the year before that type of motivation is not sustainable for delivering good performance on a consistent basis which GC might find out the hard way if they are willing to pay overs.

Personally the figure of 600k being mention on the socials seams like BS however the world has truly gone mad if that type of money is available for spuds.

He'll walk for a third rounder at best but could be a 4th rounder realistically.
You’ll end up with egg on your face with your predictions on Benny just like most of your footballing calls in the past

I’m amazed at how authoritative your posts are for someone who usually gets it wrong. Well done. Credit to you for the way you deliver the message
Yes, looks like your days of championing Benny's cause are coming to an end. Didn't work. Who are you going to replace him with as part of your Fab2? You still have Joshy Battle on your books, who had a good year, and has established himself as a solid backman. Well done.

Someone with a bit of a hard edge, which is your preference - Mitch Owens? Much more chance of him really making it than Benny. Maybe Max Heath?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

If he's going for 600k and who wouldn't given his output and given his age he is worth a late 2nd rounder

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 9:32am

Possibly but I'm not afraid to watch footy on the TV with the sound turned up.

Time to get ruthless with players taking up more than 3 to 4 years on a list and not being capable of showing they belong on a team still standing in the 2nd last week of the season.

Hopefully Benny can go to that level at the GC because it wasn't working for him at our club and sometimes a new club is what is needed. I'll be as proud as anyone if Benny can do that.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 8:41pm
chook23 wrote: Wed 14 Sep 2022 7:13pm Do not think we get mid 20's for Long

More like mid 30's early 40's

Lipinski was traded to pies from dogs for pick 43

Original pick 28 2016 draft
Lipinski was unwanted couldn’t get a regular game.
... in a good team that had played in a GF. Long is a peripheral player in a team that hasn't even played finals for two years.

Go you red, black & white warriors
SinCitySainter
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 11:45am If he's going for 600k and who wouldn't given his output and given his age he is worth a late 2nd rounder
Unfortunately, if they are offering him $600K they are looking to pay very little.
At $600K he can walk to the PSD and no one is going to match it so they get him for nothing.

Sanctorum
Club Player

For a while I thought Ben long, after his outstanding game in Rd 23, was someone who should be retained, but considering all of his history at Moorabbin I'm now more inclined to believe that if St Kilda can get a 2nd or early 3rd round pick it'll be worth it, as the list needs a lot of improvement.

I could be wrong but I'm also inclined to think that moving to the Gold Coast, with all of the cultural distractions and a coach who imho will not turn him into a better player, will see him continue to be just another fair average player. He would have been better off to move to North where Clarkson would definitely get Long to do the hard yards and play consistent footy.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Is this just me or is this cr@p reporting.
Seems like we make a statement that there is a contract offer on the table for Ben only for the HS to state he cannot get an extension? :o

Make me a Sun: Saints hard nut wants out
— Jon Ralph and Jay Clark

Gold Coast looks set to land St Kilda utility Ben Long to bolster its finals quest next season.

Long has told the Suns he wants to play for them next season and will pursue a trade from St Kilda in next month’s exchange period.

Long, 25, is out of contract this year after playing 19 games for the Saints as a hardworking forward.

He averaged 12 disposals and kicked eight goals for the year.

North Melbourne has also been linked to Long but his finals prospects are brighter at the Suns next season where the club will strongly target its first finals appearance.

“Ben has had a contract offer from the club for a number of months now, so we’re naturally disappointed to receive this news, particularly as we believe Ben has a lot of good football in front of him,” Gallagher said.

“While the option to stay at the Saints remains, and we would be disappointed to see Ben go, we will work with the Suns to see if an appropriate trade can be reached.”

Gold Coast is also eyeing Western Bulldogs’ defender Jason Johannisen.

The Suns will begin talks with St Kilda on a suitable deal for Long.

The deal could be sealed for a mid-round or late pick.

Long did not finish inside the top-10 of the best and fairest and has been unable to secure a contract extension at St Kilda this year.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 12:56pm Is this just me or is this cr@p reporting.
Seems like we make a statement that there is a contract offer on the table for Ben only for the HS to state he cannot get an extension? :o

Make me a Sun: Saints hard nut wants out
— Jon Ralph and Jay Clark

Gold Coast looks set to land St Kilda utility Ben Long to bolster its finals quest next season.

Long has told the Suns he wants to play for them next season and will pursue a trade from St Kilda in next month’s exchange period.

Long, 25, is out of contract this year after playing 19 games for the Saints as a hardworking forward.

He averaged 12 disposals and kicked eight goals for the year.

North Melbourne has also been linked to Long but his finals prospects are brighter at the Suns next season where the club will strongly target its first finals appearance.

“Ben has had a contract offer from the club for a number of months now, so we’re naturally disappointed to receive this news, particularly as we believe Ben has a lot of good football in front of him,” Gallagher said.

“While the option to stay at the Saints remains, and we would be disappointed to see Ben go, we will work with the Suns to see if an appropriate trade can be reached.”

Gold Coast is also eyeing Western Bulldogs’ defender Jason Johannisen.

The Suns will begin talks with St Kilda on a suitable deal for Long.

The deal could be sealed for a mid-round or late pick.

Long did not finish inside the top-10 of the best and fairest and has been unable to secure a contract extension at St Kilda this year.
It's a strategy by clubs to maintain the trade value of an asset by offering a low-ball contract early in the season and also in the knowledge the player feels he is worth more and will more than likely leave --remembering Ben shopped himself around last year.

The quote by the club says we feel he has a lot of football in front of him rather than he is an integral part of the clubs future.

older saint
SS Life Member

If reports are true GC offered him 4 years then enjoy the Sun. 25 year old with 70 odd games and minimal games missed injuries given 4 year deal, staggering.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Stavro on BF suggested the deal is 4 years @ $500k per year. You can understand him wanting that security when we have had him on 2 year contracts for sometime.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 2:21pm Stavro on BF suggested the deal is 4 years @ $500k per year. You can understand him wanting that security when we have had him on 2 year contracts for sometime.
It wasn't that long ago a 4 year deal @500k was considered a mega deal reserved for the top 10 players in the comp.

Add the significant inflation the world has experienced recently and the previous 500k salary is now probably the new 300k to 400k salaries fringe players once were paid.

500k is probably not unreasonable on a short term deal but gifting 4 years for a perennially inconsistent and erratic type could be costly. But as I say the world has gone mad and money is cheap.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

If GC are smart they will play him on HBF and give him licence to roam.

I reckon he will fly up there (unfortunately)

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 12:41pm For a while I thought Ben long, after his outstanding game in Rd 23, was someone who should be retained, but considering all of his history at Moorabbin I'm now more inclined to believe that if St Kilda can get a 2nd or early 3rd round pick it'll be worth it, as the list needs a lot of improvement.

I could be wrong but I'm also inclined to think that moving to the Gold Coast, with all of the cultural distractions and a coach who imho will not turn him into a better player, will see him continue to be just another fair average player. He would have been better off to move to North where Clarkson would definitely get Long to do the hard yards and play consistent footy.
Ben has literally been in Melbourne since he was 15 at boarding school. He has become a grown man and had very generous development into his leadership and culture at St.Kilda.
I can hardly imagine any cultural distractions that might throw him off his course.
It seems to me that Ben's problem is that St.Kilda have recruited around players of his ilk because a lot was expected and not immediately delivered.
Given his skillset and leadership qualities and that he came in through a 'back door' drafting strategy, as did Marshall (who we discovered was a ruck by necessity) Wilkie, Paton, Sinclair and others who have not made it.
They were projects and with the exception of Wilkie, they all took time to find there niche.
We f***ed Benny 2 ways, we damped his mercurial traits and failed to turn his attacking style onto the ball, instead of the man.
He'll probably play small forward/mid at The Suns and do well.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 4:21pm
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 12:41pm For a while I thought Ben long, after his outstanding game in Rd 23, was someone who should be retained, but considering all of his history at Moorabbin I'm now more inclined to believe that if St Kilda can get a 2nd or early 3rd round pick it'll be worth it, as the list needs a lot of improvement.

Ben has literally been in Melbourne since he was 15 at boarding school. He has become a grown man and had very generous development into his leadership and culture at St.Kilda.
I can hardly imagine any cultural distractions that might throw him off his course.
It seems to me that Ben's problem is that St.Kilda have recruited around players of his ilk because a lot was expected and not immediately delivered.
Given his skillset and leadership qualities and that he came in through a 'back door' drafting strategy, as did Marshall (who we discovered was a ruck by necessity) Wilkie, Paton, Sinclair and others who have not made it.
They were projects and with the exception of Wilkie, they all took time to find there niche.
We f***ed Benny 2 ways, we damped his mercurial traits and failed to turn his attacking style onto the ball, instead of the man.
An acquaintance at the Suns told me Ben will play half back and be settled into this role.

He will be given the license to intercept, go for his marks, attack and most critically encouraged to portray controlled aggression at the opposition.

The Suns went hard at Ben as they feel they lack hardness and believe Ben has it in spades.

I can see Ben playing consistent good footy (not just the odd cameo like at Saints) if allowed to settle in this role and have the backing of the coach.

Given the want him quite badly I’m hoping a little overs in return.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

One of the reasons for our massive improvement in 2020 was Ben Long playing as a half back flanker, especially because of his kicking efficiency and the relegation of Shane Savage to Sandringham by the new senior coach

Long had his break out year in 2020 playing in that position and he thrived in the role.

I think from memory Ben also played half back as a junior.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 5:52pm One of the reasons for our massive improvement in 2020 was Ben Long……

….his break out year in 2020….
I don’t remember him being the reason, or a reason. He was OK, I suppose. Gave away free kicks, got suspended for charging in a final so couldn’t play against Richmond, and didn’t finish too 10 in the B & F

Rose colored glasses I would say.

I actually think he was half decent in 2022, this year.. but he seemed a bit fumbly and as a forward he wa second to the ball often. A good tackler though.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

I'm a big fan of Long, my only criticism of him is that he is a bit inconsistent and has been for years. I think we're losing him purely because we will not match what GC are prepared to pay him and given his inconsistency that's fair enough, albeit a little lamentable. He isn't worth 4 years at $500/$600k (if that is indeed the offer from GC).

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 5:31pm

An acquaintance at the Suns told me Ben will play half back and be settled into this role.

He will be given the license to intercept, go for his marks, attack and most critically encouraged to portray controlled aggression at the opposition.

The Suns went hard at Ben as they feel they lack hardness and believe Ben has it in spades.

I can see Ben playing consistent good footy (not just the odd cameo like at Saints) if allowed to settle in this role and have the backing of the coach.

Given the want him quite badly I’m hoping a little overs in return.
Strange, I think he's a better forward than half back.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Sinclair was not considered best 22 for the first 8 matches of 2020 from memory.

Did he ever have a top 10 B&F finish before 2021?

Settles into a role at half back and has churned out 2 x AA standard seasons.

Not saying Long will be at that level, but I expect increased output and consistency when he is given the opportunity to settle into the half back role.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 7:46pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 5:52pm One of the reasons for our massive improvement in 2020 was Ben Long……

….his break out year in 2020….
I don’t remember him being the reason, or a reason. He was OK, I suppose. Gave away free kicks, got suspended for charging in a final so couldn’t play against Richmond, and didn’t finish too 10 in the B & F

Rose colored glasses I would say.

I actually think he was half decent in 2022, this year.. but he seemed a bit fumbly and as a forward he wa second to the ball often. A good tackler though.
You mentioned he ‘was half decent’ this year. Again, you’re taking a bet each way and adding negative connotations. At least you’re consistent. And you’re not alone. People (mainly Saints fans) have been bagging Ben right throughout his journey in St Kilda colours.

Easy to ignore the media releases and the statistics for 2020 when the club measured Ben’s output versus his team mates like Coffield and Clark and Paton and Wilkie, if it suits your agenda.

The difference between us is that you want to mainly highlight negatives and I want to highlight his growth and the upside which is evident for a player who will be approaching 100 games in the next two years.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 8:08pm Sinclair was not considered best 22 for the first 8 matches of 2020 from memory.

Not saying Long will be at that level, but I expect increased output and consistency when he is given the opportunity to settle into the half back role.
I hear this theory presented often on our socials but what it fails to recognise is how long should a player be given to "settle" into a position in the hope it will somehow produce a skilful player. I mean when it comes to Long how many positions did he need to be trialled in because he was given lengthy stints in a few positions. Even at his best he was just Ok but his inconsistency and lack of concentration is what made him untrustworthy and a liability.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Sep 2022 11:20am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 15 Sep 2022 8:08pm Sinclair was not considered best 22 for the first 8 matches of 2020 from memory.

I hear this theory presented often on our socials but what it fails to recognise is how long should a player be given to "settle" into a position in the hope it will somehow produce a skilful player. I mean when it comes to Long how many positions did he need to be trialled in because he was given lengthy stints in a few positions. Even at his best he was just Ok but his inconsistency and lack of concentration is what made him untrustworthy and a liability.
As long as it takes once the necessary skills have been demonstrated.
People develop at different rates depending on circumstances and coaches.
Sincs was not an immediate star. I suspect Dew is a better coach than Richo (who isn't) and Brett.
Ben is likely to well under him if GC lifestyle doesn't get him first.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 16 Sep 2022 11:38am
Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Sep 2022 11:20am

As long as it takes once the necessary skills have been demonstrated.
People develop at different rates depending on circumstances and coaches.
Sincs was not an immediate star. I suspect Dew is a better coach than Richo (who isn't) and Brett.
Ben is likely to well under him if GC lifestyle doesn't get him first.
nup. gotta start sacking players like we sack coaches, coaches only get 2 years and the same should apply to players. 6 or 7 years on a list is way to long to prove you can or can't help with the silverware. Some players need a new club to prove themselves so hopefully it works out for Benny but he reached the end of the line at our club.