Dreadful! But hardly new?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dreadful! But hardly new?

Everyone

In professional sport - success is only winning

As a person, I don’t subscribe to the notion of accepting a fate that is less than successful- why get held back by lowly expectations - f*** that!

BTW
Ghost - don’t be offended, I don’t read PMs from anyone.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 11:06pm Everyone

As a person, I don’t subscribe to the notion of accepting a fate that is less than successful- why get held back by lowly expectations - f*** that!

BTW
Yet you follow the saints

You must be seriously tormented

Banger9798
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 8:49pm Did I say look at me or I’m a hard man?

I just made a truthful comment - we are not ruthless in our pursuit of high expectations

We make excuses like - we are StK we are not supposed to be winners

I don’t subscribe to that.

BTW
You abusing me Ghost seems to suggest you think you’re a bit of a hard man? Easy thing to do on a keyboard.
But if supporters don't drive performance as you said BM (and I agree) , what does it matter whether we accept mediocrity or not?

You can't have it both ways.
Either our response is meaningful or it isn't.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Supporters can have expectations though

Which should be high

Saintmike65
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 6:24pm
maverick wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 6:14pm Yep simply demand more that will do it
How about we get membership up to 80k and get more than 30k to a game and then we can demand more from the club
We continue to be mediocre because supporters are apathetic and we don’t attract the best to manage the club
Simple as that
As I've said on previous occasions Colleague, IF I was driven by RESULTS and nothing else but success, then (naturally) I would have dropped the Saints like a hot snot YEARS AGO! Does my loyalty and support of MY club mean that I (ahem) "accept mediocrity"? Absolutely NOT!!!!!! I'm as angry and disappointed as anybody could be at friday nights shitshow..... does it mean I'm ready to roll up the swag and move on from the Saints? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

It’s interesting isn’t it…once you’re a saints supporter, you are for life!
It somehow gets in your blood.
When I was a kid, I got very frustrated being a St.Kilda supporter & swore I’d change to Collingwood, my father’s team.
Just couldn’t do it…in some ways it’s the worst club to follow..1 flag in nearly 150 years is appalling but life goes on!!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 11:08am
thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 6:24pm
How about we get membership up to 80k and get more than 30k to a game and then we can demand more from the club
We continue to be mediocre because supporters are apathetic and we don’t attract the best to manage the club
Simple as that
As I've said on previous occasions Colleague, IF I was driven by RESULTS and nothing else but success, then (naturally) I would have dropped the Saints like a hot snot YEARS AGO! Does my loyalty and support of MY club mean that I (ahem) "accept mediocrity"? Absolutely NOT!!!!!! I'm as angry and disappointed as anybody could be at friday nights shitshow..... does it mean I'm ready to roll up the swag and move on from the Saints? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

It’s interesting isn’t it…once you’re a saints supporter, you are for life!
It somehow gets in your blood.
When I was a kid, I got very frustrated being a St.Kilda supporter & swore I’d change to Collingwood, my father’s team.
Just couldn’t do it…in some ways it’s the worst club to follow..1 flag in nearly 150 years is appalling but life goes on!!
People that change teams aren’t real people

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I have been a member for over thirty years, in that time I have seen us get our pants absolutely pulled down on many occasions and seen us come within inches of winning the big one.
Neither of those events has significantly changed my life and neither of those events have I had any impact on whatsoever.
I am a member and a supporter, whether I accept mediocrity or not is about as relevant to the performance on the weekend as the color of socks Ratten wears to the game.
Football is a pastime, it is a distraction, a fun one sure and one I will continue to indulge in but no more than that for the vast majority of people who don't work in the industry.

Had the ball bounced differently in 2010 and Milney slotted the goal at the end for us to win the flag what would have happened?
I probably would have gone out and had a great couple of nights celebrating, had a bit of fun at the expense of a few Collingwood supporting friends but it wouldn't have changed my life in any way.
At the end of the day it is football, it just is not that important.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Simple as that
Just in case you haven't worked it out - membership numbers and crowd attendance are no longer correlated. Richmond has 90K members and are struggling to get 45K. Melbourne have 60K members and won a flag and get no one to their games.

Given it was about 8degs in Docklands on Friday night - we're actually bloody lucky we got 33K there

Go you red, black & white warriors
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 6:39pm
Sainternist wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 1:13am Well said, Jiggster!

In following the Saints we have to remain philosophical and just accept that it’s not all about winning. My girlfriend said she hadn’t seen me so aggrieved over a loss on Friday night. It had me thinking that maybe I’m taking it all too seriously. I really shouldn’t let these losses ruin my weekend. I was in good company and they all felt the sting of defeat as well.

One for all, all for one and up the mighty Saints (to hell with the rest!)
Hiya Colleague! We both share a common love for the St Kilda Footy Club. We also (from conversations I've enjoyed having with you) share a love for the GAME. As an expat scouser it took me a wee while to get to grips with Australian Rules Football, but once I was "smitten" I was smitten for LIFE! Perhaps my philosophical view of results does convey (in some folks' eyes at least) an "acceptance of mediocrity".....I would respectfully argue to the contrary. No, I've now decided to simply get back to tin tacks and concentrate on simply enjoying, in these latter years of my life, the joy and pleasure to obtained from just meeting up with my pal Tom for pre game drinks or lunch, and enjoying a good natter about the game, politics, art, life..whatever! and then taking our seats to enjoy the footy!!! Just for the sake of the GAME!

I realise of course that others may disagree with that approach, they have my sympathy, they're (IMHO) missing out on a lot of fun!
I’m with you, Jiggster! We just have to roll with the punches and try to enjoy ourselves. We have no control of what happens with the Saints on the footy field. It’s the players’ and coach’s responsibility to get that right. So long as they give it their best shot, that’s what counts. Granted, Friday night was a debacle, but here’s to hoping we bounce back this weekend. There’s always next weekend!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 11:38pm
B.M wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 11:06pm Everyone

BTW
Yet you follow the saints

You must be seriously tormented

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now even BM would have to admit THAT is funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 10:39am Supporters can have expectations though

Which should be high
No argument about having expectations Colleague. I guess its more of a matter of just how "high" those expectations are based on past history, and current playing staff and admin. Lets agree to disagree about the role of "results" in the reasons for following this crazy old club, and enjoy (hopefully) some better days to come! Good to debate with you colleague!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
happy feet
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 10:58pm
happy feet wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 9:33pm I’m sorry but I’m with B.M on this. To win Premierships you need to be ruthless and we are nowhere near ruthless. I was only 3 in 1966 and I’m starting to wonder if I will see a premiership in my lifetime.
I'm confused...who needs to be ruthless....the supporters or the club and players ?
The players.

We do a great job of eating our own on Saintsational.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 10:02pm
happy feet wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 9:33pm I’m sorry but I’m with B.M on this. To win Premierships you need to be ruthless and we are nowhere near ruthless. I was only 3 in 1966 and I’m starting to wonder if I will see a premiership in my lifetime.
I'm confused...who needs to be ruthless....the supporters or the club and players ?
The players.

Oh so BM is eating us ?

happy feet
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 11:56pm
happy feet wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 10:02pm
The players.

Oh so BM is eating us ?
No just BM w are all guilty.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.