Our Coach......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Coach......

Ratts wasnt out coached his team are simply not fit enough and fell off a cliff in second half as they have done in most games this year. I believe the club needs a complete refresh of line coaches at seasons end and for gods sake get rid of that parasite in Sexton.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We are desperate for people to blame aren’t we

The assistants are now the scapegoats

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 11:37am
Scollop wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 5:57am All is not lost. We can do a reset...

He has been far too forgiving for his first 18 months at St Kilda

The coach needs to stop being soft and just be brutal. Get angry with his players!!

They are making him look like a d**khead.

He's come back from far worse (in his personal life) than a few losses in professional sport

And here is what needs to happen... He played in an era of coaches who ranted and shouted at the top of their lungs!!

He doesn't need to do that, but he needs to take on the mentality of an old fashioned coach.

Forget about their name or their reputation or their salary. You stuff up and you are benched. Full stop!!

Doesn't matter how many games you've played or how old you are. Come off and get a tongue lashing (and if you break team rules you're sent straight to the VFL).

It starts with every player lifting their work rate on the training track. Toughen them up and demand more
Brett Ratten is certainly showing the strains of coaching St Kilda - it has to be rated as one of the toughest gigs in the AFL, a club that is most famous for winning the most wooden spoons!

I agree with you Scollop that the problem is not simply inadequate coaching - it did surprise me that all the commentators tipped St Kilda to beat Adelaide when they were missing at least 7 "best 22" players out with injuries, plus Membrey and Ross unavailable, that's almost half the team! Losing Hunter Clark before 1/2 time just compounded the problem.

No coach should be condemned in the full context of the circumstances faced by Ratten....

That said, it does not excuse the players for making some terrible decisions on the night - Ben Long heading into the 50 with 2 players in clear space close to goals and taking a shot that scores a behind; Jack Lonie likewise had a shocker, Jack Higgins rushing his set shot in the last quarter was dreadful - God knows what got into him to not calmly take his time. The players were totally responsible for this disappointing loss, and Ratten MUST hold them to account and give them a swift kick up the proverbials!

Last night's loss. and given that the injury list remains a major problem, should put an end to St Kilda's chances to play finals this year. I believe the club should immediately set up an independent (not internal) investigation/review of the football department, with special focus on the adequacy of the playing list, and reset for 2022. I retain confidence in Ratten to be head coach (and there are no better prospects out there) but think that he needs much better support and maybe network with some of his mentors to examine how he can improve. They would do really well to offer a bucket of money to lure Mark "Choco" Williams in a senior asssistant role.
Great post
Last bit especially
It’s clear he needs help
Why not ask Lyon (if he’s not offered Collingwood) to be part of a genuine football review?
Brett stays the nice guy....Ross puts blow torch under footy department???
You know he won’t shirk the hard question....might make a few too many uncomfortable imo that’s why they won’t..
Apparently Melb players on record saying Choco flogged them preseason to the point where some have said it was the hardest they’ve ever had...
Our kids could really use an ex AFL experienced head to help them re development...no that’s not Lyon
Our assistants ALL need to go
Lade has be a disaster at 2 other clubs ...,he’s the new John Barker
Skrobolack back to selling cars..
Hamil great player ....**** pool cleaner
And if Roughead is responsible for forward line set up and play ....goodbye
That won’t happen but if we move 1 assistant on and say “we’ve been tough” we are not serious
This year is it for Ratten - he may never get another coaching gig....it’s time for him to be ruthless ...there are many things he can control and influence
1. Fitnesss - per season
2. Game plan
3. Recruiting- enforce what you want
4. Coaching panel - turn them over hunt for a Mitchell type , new IP ffs
5. Match selection
6. Development- what program is in place ??
Club needs a genuine independent football department review....won’t happen though

“Yeah….nah””
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 11:52am
samuraisaint wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 11:37am
The Fireman wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 10:33am Let's see how the club reacts to this, this final outrage is surely a point in time where something needs to drastically happen.
This is where the Pres comes out and makes a statement to the members and supporter base with some sort of plan moving forward or at least an apology for the ineptitude right across the board.
This is the fork in the road moment and there is no way to gloss it over.
The supporters have had enough and will walk away in droves
and if they aren't having a crisis meeting as we speak...then.......sayonara

I am going to sound merenecery here, but I really believe some of our leaders and experienced players burned us this week.

You should name them, if that is what you truly believe.
I don't like actually naming names on internet forum. I don't believe it's fair as I don't know what is going on behind the scenes. But I was disappointed that more players didn't fly the flag after Clark had his jaw broken. And in the last quarter with the set shot on goal which could have steadied the ship, it would have been good to have some experience around him to settle him down. To me it showed a lack of team spirit.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.