Dangerous gun midfielders or onballers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dangerous gun midfielders or onballers

The Billings Method wrote: Mon 04 Jan 2021 1:19pm I'm showing my age now, but Rod Owen would've been handy nowadays. I did play against him in school footy a couple of times when he was about 14 playing against the seniors. Still one of the best players, at junior level, that I've ever seen.

Oh, if only he hadn't discovered the joys of alcohol as a teenager. He could've been anything. Tragically, my final memory of Rod was him lying at the bottom of the stairs at the Saints' Disco, his nose splattered all over his blood stained face, courtesy of the bouncers.
Another wasted talent. He was only 16 when he debuted for the Saints. And boy could he play.

Saints traded him to Melbourne in 1991 while I was in America. Didn't last long there before he was on traded to Brissie later that same year but then delisted after a handful of games.

Complete soak and undisciplined with it.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Played at Hampton Park in the mid 90s and apparently was a loose cannon!

Also, his knees were apparently shot to bits!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 04 Jan 2021 5:59pm Played at Hampton Park in the mid 90s and apparently was a loose cannon!

Also, his knees were apparently shot to bits!
Not sure mid 90's is correct. He was floating around, playing in the Qld leagues in the 96 - 98 era after coming down from the NT. I think he only played 1 season at Broadbeach when they joined the AFLQ and was still a flashy player but couldnt play more than a half and was well passed it even at AFLQ level. I ran into him a couple of times. He was a sniper and a terrible sook.
He went to Cairns and then Noosa after that. There were a few ex Brisbane players around the leagues in those days. Then he ended up back in Victoria at Cheltenham. By the time he got to Hampton Park he'd have been 33 or 34.