Seb Ross v Luke Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross v Luke Dunstan

It interesting that we play West Coast in the first practice game and I wonder whether the coaches will test Dunstan on Kelly given the number Kelly did on the latter in September

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It interesting that we play West Coast in the first practice game and I wonder whether the coaches will test Dunstan on Kelly given the number Kelly did on Ross in September

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintbob
SS Life Member

Both will need to produce some really good form @ Sandy to even get a look in our best 22, both are behind Clark, Hannebery, Crouch, Steele, Gresham, Jones, Sinclair and Billings

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Skeptic took my post and added some incredibly insightful comments of his own

:D :mrgreen: Well put, sir, very well put :D

A guy does negating stuff but the guy who gets the ball as a direct result, stuffs it up.
So we have a negative play + one underwhelming act.
That's a big waste of effort and hurts the entire team.

He's right, that coaches outsmart themselves when this happens.
It may be why Weller, Newnes, etc kept getting game after game until somebody with brains conducted a big review and decided this rubbish ain't working and we need to bring in loads of skill.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Ross is like Paine in a way. Stepped up when a captain was needed and club was in deep trouble. Has a lot of goodwill points for that because the forced role did not appear to come naturally; always tries hard and is pretty tough and good size - extremely experienced and consistent. Dunstan hard as nails and always tries hard, great hands in tight. Not really an either or though is it. Rather than be critical I'd prefer to see them both go injury free for a couple of seasons as that will improve us. BTW is player Kent more effective than Luke?

Sanctorum
Club Player

On a couple of comments: I have not seen any confirmed evidence that the club "shopped" Dunstan post season, nor was I aware that he had been caught boozing at some point in his time at St Kilda.

Early in his career he was certainly mentioned as a future team captain, based presumably on his outstanding junior football career. Picked up at 18 in 2013, there were high expectations for Dunstan, but like Billings (3) and Acres (19) in that draft, he has never quite made it to the top.....so far. He now also has Jack Bytel breathing down his neck, so it will be fascinating to see who comes out on top!

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 20 Dec 2020 11:36am On a couple of comments: I have not seen any confirmed evidence that the club "shopped" Dunstan post season, nor was I aware that he had been caught boozing at some point in his time at St Kilda.

Early in his career he was certainly mentioned as a future team captain, based presumably on his outstanding junior football career. Picked up at 18 in 2013, there were high expectations for Dunstan, but like Billings (3) and Acres (19) in that draft, he has never quite made it to the top.....so far. He now also has Jack Bytel breathing down his neck, so it will be fascinating to see who comes out on top!
Yeah I hadn’t heard the boozing thing either.

He played some fairly promising games early... IIRC he did especially well in a losing effort vs WCE in Perth hitting the scoreboard with 2-3 goals that got the attention of many

Was certainly touted as a potential captain at one point

The consistent theme of this thread is that his fitness has been anywhere near where it’s needed to be.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 20 Dec 2020 11:36am
nor was I aware that he had been caught boozing at some point in his time at St Kilda.

There was a fair amount of publicity at the time. He was found asleep [alcohol induced] on park bench at Lorne (think was Lorne or Point Lonsdale, or some Bellarine Penisular beach town) by Police. He was put into custody in a cell overnight police said at the time for, his own safety. He wasn’t charged with anything. It seems his mates left him lying on the bench, after a night out drinking in a pub. It never came out that he was drinking with any Saints players, but other ‘mates’.

St Kilda gave him community work to do and attend alcohol counselling.

I read about it in a Western Australian sunday paper also a friend of mine from Barwon Heads sent me an article from the Geelong Advertiser, so I’m sure it was reported in Melbourne media.

It would have been about 3 maybe 4 pre-seasons ago. That’s possibly why other players that were recruited about the same time as him became members of the leadership team and he never was considered.
Last edited by loris on Sun 20 Dec 2020 6:03pm, edited 2 times in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Look at Dunstan round 1 this year, if not BOG for us he was definitely top 3. Comfortably outplayed Ross. Not sure what happened between round 1 and 2, but seems a bizarre dropping.

Would have played plenty this year if not for the major injury I suspect.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Sat 19 Dec 2020 9:47pm Both will need to produce some really good form @ Sandy to even get a look in our best 22, both are behind Clark, Hannebery, Crouch, Steele, Gresham, Jones, Sinclair and Billings
Seb behind Sinclair..??..In what alternative reality does that happen..?🤭🤭🤭

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 20 Dec 2020 4:51pm Look at Dunstan round 1 this year, if not BOG for us he was definitely top 3. Comfortably outplayed Ross. Not sure what happened between round 1 and 2, but seems a bizarre dropping.

Would have played plenty this year if not for the major injury I suspect.
Got brownlow votes in that match too.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

no way is seb behind sinclair. people being a bit harsh on seb. i'm not fan in particular, but he deserves his due. sinc the lucky beneficiary of limited options in the role he played. didn't look much, but he did grow into it over the year. seb and dunny are in the hotspot.
as a pure inside grunt dunny was our best, given hanna's age and injury status. but in rattens game plan he prefers the speed offered by jones. now with crouch in there the challange is on dunny. i think he has the potential to make it despite his lack of speed. but needs to be cleaner and smarter when he does go by foot.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sun 20 Dec 2020 10:28pm no way is seb behind sinclair..
It is a positional. They are not competing for the same positions.

Ross is the better genuine centre square midfielder. Can also play the tagger role very well.

Sinclair is the better and quicker outside player and has better skills. Lacks Roos ball getting ability, but uses the ball better both in skill and his ability to pick the right option.

If Ross gets squeezed out on the inside midfield rotations, then I would tend to see him getting squeezed out of the team.

Both will need to do their role very well to get a first 22 gig in 2021 if we have minimal injuries.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Sun 20 Dec 2020 4:35pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sun 20 Dec 2020 11:36am
nor was I aware that he had been caught boozing at some point in his time at St Kilda.

There was a fair amount of publicity at the time. He was found asleep [alcohol induced] on park bench at Lorne (think was Lorne or Point Lonsdale, or some Bellarine Penisular beach town) by Police. He was put into custody in a cell overnight police said at the time for, his own safety. He wasn’t charged with anything. It seems his mates left him lying on the bench, after a night out drinking in a pub. It never came out that he was drinking with any Saints players, but other ‘mates’.

St Kilda gave him community work to do and attend alcohol counselling.

I read about it in a Western Australian sunday paper also a friend of mine from Barwon Heads sent me an article from the Geelong Advertiser, so I’m sure it was reported in Melbourne media.

It would have been about 3 maybe 4 pre-seasons ago. That’s possibly why other players that were recruited about the same time as him became members of the leadership team and he never was considered.

Well with those clues and Google:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/st- ... t8bo3.html

St Kilda's Luke Dunstan fined for being drunk in a public place
December 10, 2016

St Kilda's Luke Dunstan has been fined by police after being drunk in a public place early Saturday morning.

Dunstan, 21, fell asleep in public and detained by police for a few hours before being released and fined.

In a statement released by the club on Saturday afternoon, Saints football general manager Jamie Cox said that Dunstan had apologised for his behaviour.

Dunstan co-operated with the police and told the club about his misdemeanour.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Not much appreciation for Luke at St Kilda, perhaps he should move to Geelong and be the heir apparent to Joel Selwood. He plays a similar role, his stats are similar and Cats fans would love him.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 20 Dec 2020 11:36am On a couple of comments: I have not seen any confirmed evidence that the club "shopped" Dunstan post season, nor was I aware that he had been caught boozing at some point in his time at St Kilda.

Dunny is also in a rare club of 5 players to have won a rising star nomination on debut.