The G in the Gabba!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: The G in the Gabba!!!!!

loris wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 1:12am
saynta wrote: Fri 16 Oct 2020 7:15pm I don't know about Banana Benders and care even less but the turds in NSW have been calling God 's own people in the prison state 'Mexicans' for at least 55 years that I know of.
🤪😜😇
I can go back to the early 1950’s when my uncle who lived in Newcastle used to call us Mexican’s when our family would go visiting at Christmas holidays. I asked my Dad why he called us that, & he explained that we lived south of the NSW border. Then Uncle Sam would put this old vinyl record on the wind up gramophone and some nasal sounding cowboy would sing a song with the words............ south of the border down Mexico way, that’s where I fell in love as Stars came out to play....... or words to that effect.
I think it was a favourite hit of the late 1940’s or early 50’s.

So yes saynta Vic’s have been known as Mexican’s by those in NSW since Adam was in short pants!!

PS. I can remember now the cowboy who sang the song was Gene Autry. I think he was the singing cowboy star who came onto the silver screen after Tom Mix, before the other cowboy stars started to strut their stuff in the 1950’s & 60’s. eg., Roy Rogers, Hoppalong Cassidy.
possibly an influence on the greatest cowboy song

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
asiu
Saintsational Legend

i listened to that

thanx
i think

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

are you feeling that way
about flying back to home base ?

:P

saynta
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 2:46am
saynta wrote: Fri 16 Oct 2020 7:15pm I don't know about Banana Benders and care even less but the turds in NSW have been calling God 's own people in the prison state 'Mexicans' for at least 55 years that I know of.
🤪😜😇
I can go back to the early 1950’s when my uncle who lived in Newcastle used to call us Mexican’s when our family would go visiting at Christmas holidays. I asked my Dad why he called us that, & he explained that we lived south of the NSW border. Then Uncle Sam would put this old vinyl record on the wind up gramophone and some nasal sounding cowboy would sing a song with the words............ south of the border down Mexico way, that’s where I fell in love as Stars came out to play....... or words to that effect.

So yes saynta Vic’s have been known as Mexican’s by those in NSW since Adam was in short pants!!

PS. I can remember now the cowboy who sang the song was Gene Autry. I think he was the singing cowboy star who came onto the silver screen after Tom Mix, before the other cowboy stars started to strut their stuff in the 1950’s & 60’s. eg., Roy Rogers, Hoppalong Cassidy.
Love Marty and love that song.The song Seven Spanish Angles was written for Marty but he died before he could record it.

Recorded eventually by Ray Charles and Willie Nelson .Another great song about death by rifle fire. Yanks and their guns eh? :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

🤪😜😇

You are bringing back the memories now Loris. Did you ever go to the civic cinema in Ashburton in late 50's. Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and Hoppalong were regulars. What was the name of Cassidy's white horse, Silver or trigger or something like that .I forget.

On, think Silver was the Lone Rangers horse wasn't he? Used to show him as part of a serial short to get you to come back the next week. :D

Life was less complicated in those carefree days.

loris
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 10:43am
🤪😜😇

You are bringing back the memories now Loris. Did you ever go to the civic cinema in Ashburton in late 50's. Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and Hoppalong were regulars. What was the name of Cassidy's white horse, Silver or trigger or something like that .I forget.

On, think Silver was the Lone Rangers horse wasn't he? Used to show him as part of a serial short to get you to come back the next week. :D

Yes I used to go to The Civic in Ashburton in the 1950’s, always to the Saturday matinees. We’d all stamp our feet on the floor, to warn our cowboy hero’s that there were Indians ready to ambush them....... the noise in the theatre was deafening. On reflection, no doubt this lead to forming some racist tendencies :roll:
Hopalong Cassidy’s horse was Silver, Hi, Ho Silver away, he would cry as he rode away.
Roy Roger’s horse was Trigger, a beautiful palomino horse with the most gorgeous golden mane and tail.
One of them had a side kick called Pancho, I think it was Hoppalong Cassidy.

loris
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 2:46am
🤪😜😇

Thanks for that nostalgic trip desertsaint .......... I was a real fan of Marty Robbins, years gone bye. My favourite song of his was ‘A White Sports Coat & A Pink Carnation’. He set a fashion craze with that song, many a young fellow (usually those with sports cars) decked themselves out in white sports coats & pink carnations when they went to Saturday night town hall dances.

A just looked up Gene Autry on You Tube singing, ‘Down Mexico Way’, but couldn’t post it up for you. I notice Patsy Cline also does a version of the song as well . Now she was a brilliant C&W singer.......... though most of her songs were rather maudlin. If you’d had a few drinks and put her records on you’d want to slash your wrists :cry:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 5:14pm
🤪😜😇

Yes I used to go to The Civic in Ashburton in the 1950’s, always to the Saturday matinees. We’d all stamp our feet on the floor, to warn our cowboy hero’s that there were Indians ready to ambush them....... the noise in the theatre was deafening. On reflection, no doubt this lead to forming some racist tendencies :roll:
Hopalong Cassidy’s horse was Silver, Hi, Ho Silver away, he would cry as he rode away.
Roy Roger’s horse was Trigger, a beautiful palomino horse with the most gorgeous golden mane and tail.
We must have been in the same theatre at the same time many many times.

Had my first kiss in a theatre in Campberwell though. Sink the Bismarck was playing. :oops: :oops:

Wasn't it the lone ranger who said Hi ho silver away?

I remember Pancho was the one laughing at the jokes, a bit of hero worship there.

I used to sell papers out side the theatre on Saturday night. The pink globe with all the footy results and the herald.

We actually lived in High Street near the church. House is gone now replaced by two town houses.

Just checked.

"Strangely enough, there seems to exist a history of people discovering with great surprise that whilst upon Silver’s back, the Lone Ranger uttered a “Yoooo!” instead of a “Hoooo!”. Dave Barry, the syndicated humor columnist, put out an article in 2000, where he stated that he was shocked to find out it was always “Hi Yo, Silver”, and it quickly opened up the floor to a furious debate, with many people writing in to claim it had always been either “Hi Yo” or “Hi Ho”. Where does all this ambiguity stem from?"

"Topper
Photographs show actor William Boyd, dressed as Hopalong Cassidy, with his horse Topper, making a public appearance on the occasion of Topper's 22nd birthday..

Our memories fail us Loris.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 18 Oct 2020 5:47pm, edited 2 times in total.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

could you think of anything worse
than being scalped Tonto
questioned the Lone Ranger

not off the top of my head kemo sabe
came the wistful reply

loris
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 5:33pm
🤪😜😇

Had my first kiss in a theatre in Campberwell though. Sink the Bismarck was playing. :oops: :oops:

I remember Pancho was the one laughing at the jokes, a bit of hero worship there.

I used to sell papers out side the theatre on Saturday night. The pink globe with all the footy results and the herald.

We actually lived in High Street near the church. House is gone now replaced by two town houses.

Just checked.

Yep maybe it was the Lone Ranger, that had that cry.

I can recall now that Gene Autry’s horse was, Champion the wonder horse. Can’t recall why the horse was such a wonder though.🤷‍♀️

There were 2 churches on High Street if I can recall. The Catholic Church just past the Ashie shopping centre towards Warrigal Rd. It may have been on the corner of Victory Boulevard. The other one, I think it was a Protestant church (not certain of denomination) it was after you came out of that S bend in the road from Glen Iris. I frequented neither of them!!!!! So I definitely wouldn’t have seen in the vicinity of a church, but possibly could have crossed paths at the Civic. I guess the Civic has been demolished now and is possibly a car park, so someone is parking all over our memories :cry: :cry:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 5:55pm
🤪😜😇

Just checked.

I can recall now that Gene Autry’s horse was, Champion the wonder horse. Can’t recall why the horse was such a wonder though.🤷‍♀️

There were 2 churches on High Street if I can recall. The Catholic Church just past the Ashie shopping centre towards Warrigal Rd. It may have been on the corner of Victory Boulevard. The other one, I think it was a Protestant church (not certain of denomination) it was after you came out of that S bend in the road from Glen Iris. I frequented neither of them!!!!! So I definitely wouldn’t have seen in the vicinity of a church, but possibly could have crossed paths at the Civic. I guess the Civic has been demolished now and is possibly a car park, so someone is parking all over our memories :cry: :cry:
Catholic church. I was once an alter boy too. Didn't drink the alter wine or get molested . Father Bob was the Parish priest in my later years there. Prior to Bob the priest used to get me to mow the church lawns, loved it too they had a motor mower where the old man only had a manual push mower.

We used to run good dances at St Michael's school hall.

Rock ones first then more Jazz around 62 and 3.

Loris did you miss my add on to the original post. I will repost it.

Internet a wonderful resource for forgotten trivia.

""Strangely enough, there seems to exist a history of people discovering with great surprise that whilst upon Silver’s back, the Lone Ranger uttered a “Yoooo!” instead of a “Hoooo!”. Dave Barry, the syndicated humor columnist, put out an article in 2000, where he stated that he was shocked to find out it was always “Hi Yo, Silver”, and it quickly opened up the floor to a furious debate, with many people writing in to claim it had always been either “Hi Yo” or “Hi Ho”. Where does all this ambiguity stem from?"

"Topper
Photographs show actor William Boyd, dressed as Hopalong Cassidy, with his horse Topper, making a public appearance on the occasion of Topper's 22nd birthday..

loris
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 6:14pm
loris wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 5:55pm
🤪😜😇

Just checked.

Catholic church. I was once an alter boy too. Didn't drink the alter wine or get molested . Father Bob was the Parish priest in my later years there. Prior to Bob the priest used to get me to mow the church lawns, loved it too they had a motor mower where the old man only had a manual push mower.

We used to run good dances at St Michael's school hall.

Rock ones first then more Jazz around 62 and 3.

Loris did you miss my add on to the original post. I will repost it.

Internet a wonderful resource for forgotten trivia.

""Strangely enough, there seems to exist a history of people discovering with great surprise that whilst upon Silver’s back, the Lone Ranger uttered a “Yoooo!” instead of a “Hoooo!”. Dave Barry, the syndicated humor columnist, put out an article in 2000, where he stated that he was shocked to find out it was always “Hi Yo, Silver”, and it quickly opened up the floor to a furious debate, with many people writing in to claim it had always been either “Hi Yo” or “Hi Ho”. Where does all this ambiguity stem from?"

"Topper

As a certain poster would say, Ffs!!!!! An alter boy :shock: .Now, that will give your Sainsational Street Cred a bit of a dint. :lol:

Guess we got the ‘T’ correct, not much difference between the letters that follow, rigger or opper, take your pick.

No the add didn’t appear.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 6:30pm [
As a certain poster would say, Ffs!!!!! An alter boy :shock: .Now, that will give your Sainsational Street Cred a bit of a dint. :lol:

Guess we got the ‘T’ correct, not much difference between the letters that follow, rigger or opper, take your pick.

:wink:

loris
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 6:45pm
loris wrote: Sun 18 Oct 2020 6:30pm [

:wink:

Aaaaah thanks for the memories. The old William Tell Overture, that had the blood pumping. Loved some of the names in the credits...... Sheriff Taylor and Doc Drummond. Now Doc Drummond patched up many a dying goodie from gunshot or arrow wounds.