Billings frustrating

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billings frustrating

From AFL.com.au

"Jack Billings (St Kilda)
By spending a quarter of his game time in the forward line (23 per cent), some of Billings' wing markers are at different levels to his contemporaries. But the silky midfielder remains lethal with the ball and is categorised as above average for disposals, uncontested possessions, metres gained, clearances and score involvements."

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Personally I think he’s a good player and am happy to have him in the top22.

He’s not Dusty and one shouldn’t expect that type of player with his size to blitz it every week.
Especially when he’s one of the first tagged

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

In the top 10 wingers in the league...he's doing OK

Nee!
johnearljames
Club Player

Ranked 8th best wingman in the comp. And some want to trade him. Seriously....

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 3:03pm Personally I think he’s a good player and am happy to have him in the top22.

He’s not Dusty and one shouldn’t expect that type of player with his size to blitz it every week.
Especially when he’s one of the first tagged
I tend to judge my footballers by how much my heart rate rises when they're directly involved in a passage of play and what part they play in that passage. Eg - I don't all feel nervous at all (or haven't up until recently) when Gears has been isolated on a Betts, Rioli, Cameron etc because I know he'll rarely get beaten and at worst - will likely break even. But I hate it when him (and Seb) get the ball in open space and have to deliver it to the advantage of our team.

Similarly - I love it when Billings has ball in hand - I really do. And his set shot kicking has improved markedly. That said - he used to appear a bit 'timid' but he definitely goes now when its his turn and regularly puts his head over it.

I've always thought of Jack as a silky footballer who's 15 possessions could hurt you as much as some mids' 30+ tallies. He's a better player with better players around him and I think that will continue to be the case as we add more talent and/or the likes of Coff, Clark & Bytel elevate around him.

As for Martin - he's a freak. What a footballer. But - on a somewhat tenuously related topic - the inference at the start of the commentary last night that Petracca v Fyfe was a Ferrari vs a Lambo was just plain embarrassing. WHat an insult to Fyfe. Saw plenty of him all night and as much as Petracca had a dip (unlike most of his pea heart teammates) it was more like a trac-tor vs a Lambo.

Go you red, black & white warriors