Team v Suns. Long and Kent for Savage and Parker

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Suns. Long and Kent for Savage and Parker

I will concede that Savage is probably not worth playing ahead of a developing Long .
But I am constantly surprised with how he is seen on here.
Last year he played some great footy and I seem to remember him in the votes reasonably often.
He doesn't strike me as a turnover merchant like Seb or Dunstan for instance.
He often kicks goals from outside the arc. He is disciplined quick strong and a decent mark.
Very good back up

Nee!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Long probably has more upside than Savage but I reckon it's a close call.

Please no more brain fades, Ben.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 8:02pm Was expecting more changes with the short breaks. Perhaps the club is keen to bank the 4 points against the Suns, and take pot luck against Geelong and Essendon.

Also thought that Savage was a bit unlucky, if we agree that Parker should be dropped it's understandable to replace him with Kent as a goalkicking option. Parker also brought some mongrel, and Long offers similar.
Me, I'm keen to banks 12 points against the Suns, Geelong and Essendon.
Make it happen.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

Was Ross available or was his inability to hit a target with his handball enough for others to stay in the team ahead of him.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintly
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 8:06pm Would Long have been a reasonable forward instead of Kent?...and keep Savage, or an alternate?

Sense a vulnerability now. Probably, just because this may be seen as a litmus test for Gold Coast, have slipped. They might just come out and go bang! I hope we have a 'Game B' plan

PS I have not seen much footy yet, so I guess I just have to accept that Ratto likes and rates Kent.

Time for Mr. Members to have a good one!
lonf is the half back and plays better there. They won't mix that up. Ratts is one who will play to the kids strengths.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Thu 06 Aug 2020 2:50am
Toy Saint wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 8:02pm Was expecting more changes with the short breaks. Perhaps the club is keen to bank the 4 points against the Suns, and take pot luck against Geelong and Essendon.

Also thought that Savage was a bit unlucky, if we agree that Parker should be dropped it's understandable to replace him with Kent as a goalkicking option. Parker also brought some mongrel, and Long offers similar.
Me, I'm keen to banks 12 points against the Suns, Geelong and Essendon.
Make it happen.
One week at a time.
The Gold Coast have pushed us hard the last four times we've played them. Three wins in a row by less than a kick and a hard fought five goal win at Docklands before that. So long as we win tonight, that will be an excellent start especially on their home ground.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Peanut Farm wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 8:34pm
Devilhead wrote: Wed 05 Aug 2020 7:54pm Yes we should be picking players based on Dream Team points
Have a look at Long's stats - I did say he played well in one game. He has yet to hit the scoreboard & Savage could have had a couple last week. Just sayin Savage was terribly unlucky & didnt deserve to be dropped but if it's team balance & getting Long back in for match fitness then maybe ok. Don't understand some of the Savage knockers over Long. Take a look at Savage's year in 2019
27disposals against HAW, 27 v Mel, 30 v Adel, 19 v GWS, 25 v WCE, 25 v Coll, 20 v Car, 27 v Gee, 23 v Dogs.

In every game Long & Savage played together last year, Savage was easily the better player bar 1 game.
Savage played every fame last year and led the rebound 50's & effective kicks & was top10 in the Trevor Barker award.
Very very stiff to not be playing - he is well in front of Long in my opinion.
Savage had a very good year last year. However I don't think you can compare their respective seasons last year, one played off half back & the other played half forward. Chalk & cheese when it comes to a possession game.

Sanctorum
Club Player

The changes confirm that the selectors are determined to continue to field the best 22 every week, so right now neither Lonie, Parker, Roberton, Marsh and Savage, all of whom have played in 2020 and currently not injured, are not able to break back in.

I thought it may have included Seb Ross but he is showing as 1-2 weeks off recovery from his calf injury.

I really rate Shane Savage, his dashes from half back are a delight to watch and that long bomb to the goal square in the last quarter that landed on Josh Battle's chest and goaled was an absolute pearler. But Ben Long is a better player this year and cemented his spot in defence, plus he has that x-factor that sets the team on fire, so not surprised he is back in.

A strong line-up for St Kilda, but they'll need that because the Suns tonight at home are no easy-beats!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

vacuous space wrote: Thu 06 Aug 2020 12:35am
I also don't think Savage did much in the Sydney game to escape his mad bomber reputation. He had 14 possessions that gained an average of 34.5 metres. An average of 20 is a lot. Of his 13 kicks, 7 were deemed effective, and the bar for an effective long kick is lower than the bar for a short disposal. Savage had 6 turnovers. So while he was clearing the defence under pressure, it was often going straight to a loose Sydney player. I don't think Savage showed enough poise under pressure to consider starting him over Long.
maybe it depends on how you judge players - I thought he played a very good game and didnt waste many possessions - and meters gained was a standout
In your assessment - do you think there was anything in the fact it took our fowardline 3 quarters before they really clicked

Seeya