Billy Longer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Billy Longer

ChelseaGuy wrote:
True Believer wrote: That's just great isn't it - our disarray strategy goes right out the window. We had a plan people - please stick to it in future. We'll never get to be a rabble at this rate.......
Lol..
Does this mean we won't be getting the number one pick forthe next three years?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Rosco
Club Player

Still getting pick 2 next year, just a question if it's gws or Melbourne with pick 1

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:Gee if we land Longer, Bruce, Delaney and Savage, and still have three top 20 picks, I will be very happy.

Would certainly soften the blow of losing big mac and a 30 yo Dal.
Agree...but only 1 of those deals is actually over the line as yet

I still haven't seen that the upgrade 24-19 has happened yet, North haven't completed this Delaney deal and Longer has nominated us, which is nice, but have they accepted the pick 25 yet?,
GWS are being petulant, (as they always seem to be, when they're not being smug), about Bruce.

Nee!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Logically, when are we going to be up and about?

Answer: 4/5 seasons.

That is why the trading for Longer to partner Hickey is a great call.

Logically, Big Mac was no use to us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:Logically, when are we going to be up and about?

Where do both play in 4 years time? At the moment neither have done anything as a forward. Look it sounds good and iisnt costing much but I fail to see how 2 ruckmen work in the same side.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Where do both play in 4 years time? At the moment neither have done anything as a forward. Look it sounds good and iisnt costing much but I fail to see how 2 ruckmen work in the same side.
Read the H-S article. Pelchan seems to think Longer can go forward.

Now I haven't a clue about Longer, just putting to you, that this is the rationale behind Longer

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:With Longer, Bruce and Delaney set to join the Saints are structures are starting to shape up very well in a year or twos time as we will have a much deeper group of talls..

With hopefully 3 picks inside 25 for 3 mids this year....Steven can also look forward to the midfield blooming as well. Moreso as one would expect some good picks next year as well.
three picks inside 20...3 18 and 19 i believe....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Longer was a very good pinch-hitter as a forward in junior footy. He comes from a basketball background and has great agility, leap and speed. He's only played 9 senior games and being a big unit he will take longer to develop until we find out whether his talents as a junior carry over to senior footy.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

Produce both, move one on in 4 years (the lessor talented)

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
Read the H-S article. Pelchan seems to think Longer can go forward.

Now I haven't a clue about Longer, just putting to you, that this is the rationale behind Longer
Our twin towers served us well. Lee and White are similar sizes to Roo and Kos, and Longer is massive at 202 cm. If any of these combos can work, 100% on board with it.

Always loyal
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Longer was a very good pinch-hitter as a forward in junior footy. He comes from a basketball background and has great agility, leap and speed. He's only played 9 senior games and being a big unit he will take longer to develop until we find out whether his talents as a junior carry over to senior footy.

I hope you are right. In 9 games in 2 years he has kicked one point so far. We need one of these players to be able to play at least 70% forward or it wont work. Hopefully one of either Hickey or Longer can do it.

Statsman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote: need one of these players to be able to play at least 70% forward or it wont work. Hopefully one of either Hickey or Longer can do it.
Why 70% up forward? Let's say they split the ruck work 50/50. That gives each one 50% in the ruck and 50% on the bench. Then let's say they can each play 20% up forward instead. That gives each one 50% in the ruck, 20% up forward and 30% resting on the bench. Any additional game time they spend up forward is a bonus and reduces their time on the bench. Either way, they don't need to spend 70% of their game time up forward.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
fingers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Surely it's too early for them to be showing anything significant as a forward?

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Longer was Vic Metro captain

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Look at West Coast

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Im not convinced about investing so much in to ruckmen.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The ruck has been this club's major weakness in the last 30 years. Name me more than two genuinely good tap ruck men we have had, excluding the retirement fund selections we've had like Gardiner and King.

I can only think of one, and that's Everitt. Vidovic was a useful bash and crash type.

If Longer comes on board, then we don't have to bother recruiting a ruck for the next 10 years, allowing us to focus on mids and key defenders in the next few drafts. It would be nice to give our mids a more than a 50% chance at the clearances for a change.

Oh, and why do we need two decent tap ruck men. Injuries, that's why. It's be nice to have a second guy who can actually ruck instead of an undersized fill-in who can't get his hands on the ball.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Longer was a very good pinch-hitter as a forward in junior footy. He comes from a basketball background and has great agility, leap and speed. He's only played 9 senior games and being a big unit he will take longer to develop until we find out whether his talents as a junior carry over to senior footy.

I hope you are right. In 9 games in 2 years he has kicked one point so far. We need one of these players to be able to play at least 70% forward or it wont work. Hopefully one of either Hickey or Longer can do it.
But Brisbane have been a powerhouse side of the past 2 years so don't read too much into recent form.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

I have seen Longers Gabba games, and he was used sparingly to say the least, very little time up forward, and a lot of time on the pine. Is agile, has a leap, kicking skills seem good for a big guy, and I reckon has a big motor, although we never seen him on the ground long enough to prove it. Not sure why he didn't get more game time, although Luenberger dominated the season and played majority of each quarter. Seen him at reserve level once, absolutely dominated in ruck and around ground, rucked the whole game. Couple of times I seen him forward, looked a bit lost IMO.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Longer was Vic Metro captain
And here's a highlights reel from those days (not sure if already posted)... obviously a few years old, but looks the goods.

markp
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: That's just great isn't it - our disarray strategy goes right out the window. We had a plan people - please stick to it in future. We'll never get to be a rabble at this rate.......
Even our disarray is in disarray.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Even our disarray is in disarray.
Can you two please stop dissin' Ray?

The guy tries his heart out! :twisted:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Look at West Coast

I am and they are a perfect example. Both can play forward and as i pointed out they need to be able to do it for long periods. probably at least 80% combined of their time on the ground has to be forward. i said one need to play at least 70% forward. Probably not the right way to decribe it. If they do 50% each rucking they then have to about 40% each on the ground somewhere and that is obviously forward. As you said look at WC. Thats exactly what their ruckman do. Ive said it before when we lost Ben people said thats good because 2 ruckmen dont work. Now Im not sure if any are the same people now but it seems to ruckmen all of a sudden do work. They certain can if one or both can play as a forward. ideally 2 can but one is a must.It seems Brisbane didnt think Longer could play forward yet as he hardly played and we know Hickey isnt a natural forward and most of his good work came late when he rucked more.

I hope we have a ruck combination to match the best WCE combo in a few years time but people excited now better realise it may not look goof for a few years. Both will need plenty of match time and it could look ordinary for a while until they really learn the game.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote: I hope we have a ruck combination to match the best WCE combo in a few years time but people excited now better realise it may not look goof for a few years. Both will need plenty of match time and it could look ordinary for a while until they really learn the game.
I'm settled into rebuild mode so can handle this. I am genuinely excited by 2017 onwards, a few years of pain up ahead but I will find enjoyment in watching the group develop.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I hope we have a ruck combination to match the best WCE combo in a few years time but people excited now better realise it may not look goof for a few years. Both will need plenty of match time and it could look ordinary for a while until they really learn the game.
I'm settled into rebuild mode so can handle this. I am genuinely excited by 2017 onwards, a few years of pain up ahead but I will find enjoyment in watching the group develop.

I hope everyone is like you but we know there are going to be threads and why did we trade for this player and that player. Why did we draft that hack. Why isnt Pelchan sacked. Most of the traded players are young and tall especially as it seems we are also getting Bruce and Delaney. Bruce and Longer may take a long time to come good. One or two probably wont but like you we all need to patient. Its going to be a long rebuild and what we have done in the trade period has pretty much assured a very ordinary year next year and probably the year after. What it should have done though with good drafting is eventually quicken up the rebuild.