Watters' position is now untenable

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters' position is now untenable

Scollop wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Its a Dal to North topic. Not going through that. Just a simple question for you? Was the 2 GF days the best days of watching footy since following the saints and by that i mean from when you woke up until 5 minutes before the end of the 2 games? And even the third game was great before. Just not great during the game.
The answer is no... I enjoyed the game against Freo in Rnd 23 a few weks ago as much as any other game EVER!!! I enjoyed the home and away rounds in 08 and 09 when we absolutely smashed teams (like round 22 in 08 when we tore a new one into Essendon and qualified for top 4)

That opportunity lost in 2009 was forgiven afai(was)c becasue of the herculean efforts of everyone when the team got back up and contended in 2010...but I'll be backing my team no matter. The problem is that the kiddies and the fickle supporters want to see success before buying their memberships and merchandise.

The writing was on the wall and we all knew that the club was headed for a major fall down the ladder after RL and club risked it all just to get there.

The team was headed for a GF and nothing less was going to be acceptable in '09. The finals wins were sometimes excruciating and painful to watch.

I cannot believe you didnt enjoy the 3 experiences on GF day. I find it sad really that you enjoyed normal H&A games over a GF. As JB pointed out the WB supporters would have loved an opportunity to watch their team in a GF especially a team that was in thegame until 5 minutes before the sire in one GF and right into the other GF until the siren rang. Surely you are only disagreeing to make a point. I would bet I couldnt find to many Saints supporters under 40 who didnt have the experience of a lifetime in both GF's of course until the siren rang.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I respect the efforts and applaud the efforts of the club for getting there but you asked if I enjoyed the games...well I didn't

I attended '97 and also the GF replay in 2010 and wish I didn't on both occasions.

I enjoyed the lead up games in h&a and enjoyed the finals but I feel a great deal of pain when thinking about the GF's. Sure it was fun bragging to mates but that doesn't last long and guess who has the last laugh. Anyhow...here's the thing - RL blamed our players for stuffing up in 2009...that to me was a bloke who is not accountable....I lay blame squarely on the shoulders of Ross for the missed opportunities.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83496&p=1404660&hil ... e#p1404660

people/ supporters don't buy merchandise from the defeated--- it is an achievment to get there but that is not really celebrated after the day--- and as I mentioned in another thread- people actully dropped off becasue we didn't win---- BUT WE GOT THERE.....

And....where do we find ourselves now...we are the medias whipping boys and we are soft targets and we have culture problems and we are in disarray etc...
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 17 Oct 2013 3:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Scollop wrote:I respect the efforts and applaud the efforts of the club for getting there but you asked if I enjoyed the games...well I didn't

I attended '97 and also the GF replay in 2010 and wish I didn't on both occasions.

I enjoyed the lead up games in h&a and enjoyed the finals but I feel a great deal of pain when thinking about the GF's. Sure it was fun bragging to mates but that doesn't last long and guess who has the last laugh. Anyhow...here's the thing - RL blamed our players for stuffing up in 2009...that to me was a bloke who is not accountable....I lay blame squarely on the shoulders of Ross for the missed opportunities.

And....where do we find ourselves now...we are the medias whipping boys and we are soft targets and we have culture problems and we are in disarray etc...
+1, Scollop, well said.
You are the arbiter of reason.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I respect the efforts and applaud the efforts of the club for getting there but you asked if I enjoyed the games...well I didn't

Well thats sad IMO. I will never forget the 3 games in 2 years and also the 1997 game and the 1971 game even though the memory is fading. Its also sad that most of our supporters can only remember GF losses but then again most WB supporters can only remember prelim losses. they havent even had the experience of GF day from waking up early because you cant sleep to the bounce of the ball. I love going to the GF when my team isnt playing but when they do there is no experience like it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Well thats sad IMO. I will never forget the 3 games in 2 years and also the 1997 game and the 1971 game even though the memory is fading. Its also sad that most of our supporters can only remember GF losses but then again most WB supporters can only remember prelim losses. they havent even had the experience of GF day from waking up early because you cant sleep to the bounce of the ball. I love going to the GF when my team isnt playing but when they do there is no experience like it.

They are exciting but they are all capped with pain. I was young and thought 97 was our year and it took about a decade to be able to hear the Adelaide theme song with out wanting to gag. 2009 and 2010 are no better just reminders of near wins. I watched the drawn GF recently and the anxiety was awful. My take is we will never know if GT could have taken his team to a GF an won. Ross trimmed back our list hard and guys like Goose, Voss, Xav, not to mention all the retirees might have had a chance had we not changed direction and moved him on.

Ross' management of our list was a really bad mistake we will pay for for a while yet. I think we are on the right track now though with an actual plan in place.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

I agree with Scollop.

RL is synonymous with near misses and with coaches who choose recycled players and "Gamble"ing all for the moment - with no consideration for the club's future. He's a wrecking "Ball".

SW is 10 x the coach RL is.

We did well not to renew RL's contract.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Enjoy a GF loss? You have to be joking. I would love to one of those supporters who goes to a game (which we lose) and says , "Oh well, too bad, who cares?" It's bad enough in an H&A game, but in a GF? The pain still persists, every lost opportunity remembered and will do so until the one thing that erase all of those memories happens - a flag.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Enjoy a GF loss? You have to be joking. I would love to one of those supporters who goes to a game (which we lose) and says , "Oh well, too bad, who cares?" It's bad enough in an H&A game, but in a GF? The pain still persists, every lost opportunity remembered and will do so until the one thing that erase all of those memories happens - a flag.

Has anyone ever said they enjoyed the GF loss? I cant find one so what are you talking about or are you just making a point that is quite obvious to anyone with a brain?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:I agree with Scollop.

RL is synonymous with near misses and with coaches who choose recycled players and "Gamble"ing all for the moment - with no consideration for the club's future. He's a wrecking "Ball".

SW is 10 x the coach RL is.

We did well not to renew RL's contract.

SW is 10 times the coach RL is. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but that is clearly an opinion that makes no sense at all unless everyone in the footy media has no idea about the game and you do. I reckon only Scollop and one or two thers would even get close to agreeing that and they certainly wouldnt tell makes SW is 10 times the coach of RL because there makes would laugh at them. Hopefully SW will eventually be a better coach than RL but he aint anywhere near it yet even though I think he is better option than RL now the way our list is.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Hopefully SW will eventually be a better coach than RL but he aint anywhere near it yet even though I think he is better option than RL now the way our list is.
And RL had a lot of bearing on the way our list is now!
He was a wrecking Ball.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Hopefully SW will eventually be a better coach than RL but he aint anywhere near it yet even though I think he is better option than RL now the way our list is.
He was a wrecking Ball.
Did he recruit or was it the recruiting dept?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:

+1, Scollop, well said.
You are the arbiter of reason.
that's for sure...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: Did he recruit or was it the recruiting dept?
Did the recruiters blind-side RL with their recycled picks?
I don't think so!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:. Anyhow...here's the thing - RL blamed our players for stuffing up in 2009...that to me was a bloke who is not accountable....I lay blame squarely on the shoulders of Ross for the missed opportunities.

Missed opportunities hey.

What about 7.7 to 7.1 at halftime. Schneider missing from 10 metres out running into an open goal, Milne not even scoring from 35 metres out.

The players stuffed up, kicked us out of the game. But thanks for the revisionism. Never get sick of lightweights making things up.

jaxons was pretty much spot on with his comments on you previously.

You sound like a pretty sad case.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Enjoy a GF loss? You have to be joking. I would love to one of those supporters who goes to a game (which we lose) and says , "Oh well, too bad, who cares?" It's bad enough in an H&A game, but in a GF? The pain still persists, every lost opportunity remembered and will do so until the one thing that erase all of those memories happens - a flag.
one of the worst days of my life was the 1965 grandfinal loss......talking to doc on the airplane on the way back to tassie was no consolation either...... :cry: :cry: :cry:

..i went to bed for days after the loss in 1971......still hate the crows and anything to do with them since 1997.....left the game as soon as the siren rang.....would gladly still rum over anyone who crossed the road in front of me in geelong(or adelaide) colours.....we won't talk about the filth and 2010........been to them all....i still bear all the scars......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
joffaboy wrote: Did he recruit or was it the recruiting dept?
Did the recruiters blind-side RL with their recycled picks?
I don't think so!

Dont even know what that means???

You mean Dempster, Schneider, King and Gardiner?

yes all abject failures weren't they :roll:

Now tell me the recruits from 08-10 left at the Saints from the draft and did RL choose them?

Oh hows Tommy Walsh going BTW, you still in love with him?

Lance or James??

samoht
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: Oh hows Tommy Walsh going BTW, you still in love with him?
He sends his regards.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Scollop wrote:. Anyhow...here's the thing - RL blamed our players for stuffing up in 2009...that to me was a bloke who is not accountable....I lay blame squarely on the shoulders of Ross for the missed opportunities.

Missed opportunities hey.

What about 7.7 to 7.1 at halftime. Schneider missing from 10 metres out running into an open goal, Milne not even scoring from 35 metres out.

The players stuffed up, kicked us out of the game. But thanks for the revisionism. Never get sick of lightweights making things up.

You sound like a pretty sad case.

Funny that Freo shanked early opportunities too.

Lyon regurgitates the 'put them under pressure' thing all the time. He did it with us, and he does it at Freo. It's all about 'putting the opposition under pressure'.

I wonder whether or not the constant talk about someone being under pressure and choking, actually gets ino his own players' heads.

It is weird that two Ross Lyon teams, at different clubs, with different players, can blow easy goals opportunities on the big stage.

Is it just a coincidence?

But would have a 6 goal half time lead really been a match winning lead anyway?

Anyway, that's probably for another thread.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
I think I agree with most peoples view on you jb but I'd like to add that you are probably the sort of guy I used to love to give noogies to in high school

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
He was a wrecking Ball.

You are correct on that. He has 3 players from other clubs still in our best 22 now. the only pick of note that was wasted on recycled players was Lovett and if you want to go back then most agreed it was worth the risk. nearly other recycled player cost us high picks that may have got a good player or to but if you look at how poor our drafting was back then he probably thought it better to get a recycled player. Happy for you to point out all the errors in trading that really cost us. lets be honest the issue lies in our drafting back than. If it could be trusted maybe we dont get as many recyced players.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
I think I agree with most peoples view on you jb but I'd like to add that you are probably the sort of guy I used to love to give noogies to in high school
What's a noogie? A blow job? Each to their own I guess...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
What's a noogie? A blow job? Each to their own I guess...
:D

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

You may take to your grave this notion that the game would have been over at half time but I DISAGREE.

I have admired a lot of your posts recently jb where you've defended the club and seen the bigger picture on many topics. You do have an open mind unlike some f'wits and dragits and dragqueens on here and I respect that...but please...don't keep buying that broken record of an excuse that RL sold you!!!

How many times have Hawks fans seen their team go down to the Cats over the last few years (even though Hawks have had what seemed to be comfortable leads). Not only are oppositions getting used to the RL gamneplan but many are starting to question whether Mr career coach has what it takes to get a team over the line on GF day.

howlinwolf
Club Player

I reckon it'd be a good time to wind this thread up.
Media and other casual browsers don't need to see the heading of this thread and then 10 pages of posts.
It gives them the cannon fodder they're looking for.
It's well off track anyway.
Just my .02 worth :-)

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:You do have an open mind unlike some f'wits and dragits and dragqueens on here and I respect that...but please...don't keep buying that broken record of an excuse that RL sold you!!!
You're all class champ... it's a shame you have continually demonstrated that you have absolutely no idea about football...