NAB Challenge R4 Magpies v Saints GAME THREAD

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: NAB Challenge R4 Magpies v Saints GAME THREAD

westy wrote:I reckon we are foxing. Looking for better odds!
That tactic worked a treat for the Teddy Bears in the early 2000's. :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
skeptic wrote:
saint66au wrote:2. After halftime we showed a bit more ticker. Joey worked his way into the game and CJ and Gilbo found lots of the footy. Sadly tho we have to make a decision on CJ...as he finds it then butchers it over and over.

so a typical game from CJ then.
Seriously, how people can think having him in our team is somehow a positive move astounds.
Saints kicked 2 goals in a minute, short pass to CJ about 35m in front, 45 degree angle, Saints have the momentum... out on the full. I was embarrassing.

People just don't seem to realise that the reason CJ often gets on the end of passes and loose balls is that his opponents let him... they know he cant hurt u so they dro the extra man into defence.
Ever wonder when Roo is triple teamed where the extra Saints are... one is Jones
Do Jones opponents also allow him to constantly have all those clearances and hard-ball gets ? :shock:

I just don't see what ur point is.

Are you denying that CJ hurts US with his disposal?
How would you describe his impact on the game yesterday if you saw it? Positive or negative?
Who did he tag into submission?

Man I hope this forum is reflective of our club... near enough is good enough mentality

How rose coloured is this forum!!!

He was horrible yesterday.

in addition to not producing much at all and probably failing in a tagging role (not sure about that admittedly as Coll dominated the mids)... he killed our only rally for the match by kicking a simple shot out on the full.

Geeez this is frustrating me... what is this good that u ppl think that you're seeing?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
skeptic wrote:
so a typical game from CJ then.
Seriously, how people can think having him in our team is somehow a positive move astounds.
Saints kicked 2 goals in a minute, short pass to CJ about 35m in front, 45 degree angle, Saints have the momentum... out on the full. I was embarrassing.

People just don't seem to realise that the reason CJ often gets on the end of passes and loose balls is that his opponents let him... they know he cant hurt u so they dro the extra man into defence.
Ever wonder when Roo is triple teamed where the extra Saints are... one is Jones
Do Jones opponents also allow him to constantly have all those clearances and hard-ball gets ? :shock:

I just don't see what ur point is.

Are you denying that CJ hurts US with his disposal?
How would you describe his impact on the game yesterday if you saw it? Positive or negative?
Who did he tag into submission?

Man I hope this forum is reflective of our club... near enough is good enough mentality
How rose coloured is this forum!!!
He was horrible yesterday.

in addition to not producing much at all and probably failing in a tagging role (not sure about that admittedly as Coll dominated the mids)... he killed our only rally for the match by kicking a simple shot out on the full.
Geeez this is frustrating me... what is this good that u ppl think that you're seeing?
My point on Jones is that you can't judge him on one part of his game - he does other things, (yes he plays his role) like getting clearances tagging, and running with the ball, like Peake. I heard he tagged Pendlebury reasonably effectively until the last quarter. He also has good endurance, like Montagna he can go for 4 quarters. Not that stats are everything, but he had about 27 poss + 8 marks

I doubt very much he will be tipped out.
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Sun 18 Mar 2012 3:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stand your ground :shock:
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

We just need to assign someone to run alongside him each match and be ready for the handball. And for what it's worth, it almost always when he tries to kick it hard and far (for him) that he shanks his kicks. When it comes to short passes he's usually perfectly accurate with them. I think he should just stick to them and if he does try to kick it long, he just needs to not try to kick the cover off the ball. If that means it only goes 40m then so be it.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Jones is at his best when he is linking rather than having to be the guy who gets the ball brings it forward then has the kick on goal. I would suggest he needs more help from our forwards as after gut running most players percentage goes down. He at least gets the ball. Luke Ball always got it and at a better team looks like he is better, Magner was over looked because he disposed of it badly but if you are getting it out to another link man it doesn't matter.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I doubt he will as well, but I think he should... i think he's mutton dressed as lamb

What ur doing is your taking a really bad game... he played really poorly, no positive impsct, a lot of turnovers and he killed forward thrusts and ur say... well he did ok as a tagger, he has good endurance, he gets clearance. Ur looking for reasons to justify his spot.

U guys all are

Sobraz
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:What has happened to Seany D this pre-season?
He's a terrific Ross Lyon player, in that, emphasis on hard work and defence, and less on actual footballing ability..

I personally don't think much of Dempster as a player going forward, and think that if we are to grow as a team and become a more offensive threat, Dempster must find his place in the team in jeopardy..

Sure, he did well last year, good b&f result etc... and I respect his commitment and determination to the cause, willingness to work hard, I just don't think he is that talented a footballer, and we can't carry too many (if any) guys with his limited skill set...

He's had an outstanding career (5? GF appearances) for a player of his limited skill and natural ability... Once Gwilt is fit, his place in the backline must be seriously in question...

If he is to re-create himself again, it's either him or CJ through the middle as a run with.. Just doesn't do enough the other way IMO, and CJ is just deplorable with the ball in hand...

They are both of major concern..

gringo
Saintsational Legend

CJ is ahead because he gets more of it. Sean is a workhorse utility that plugs holes at best, his finish in the B&F is a sad reflection of last season by the Saints. I hope we can replace guys like Sean and Farren with guys like Cripps and Ledger long term who will provide more class and creativity. Both guys are good players but lack something.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
Once Gwilt is fit, his place in the backline must be seriously in question...
This bloke is truly underrated. Along with Goddard and Fisher offers creatively in our backline. Defensively he's the best of the three. I think our defence will be a lot better upon his return.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dempster is a very good player.....let's hope he doesn't line up on Travis Cloke types too often

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
This bloke is truly underrated. Along with Goddard and Fisher offers creatively in our backline. Defensively he's the best of the three. I think our defence will be a lot better upon his return.

I think they mean that Dempster must have his spot in question, not Gwilt. Gwilt has become an a grade defender pre knee.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
Sobraz wrote:

I think they mean that Dempster must have his spot in question, not Gwilt. Gwilt has become an a grade defender pre knee.
Agree... Jimmy is a gun.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

That being said about gwilt......remember he is 188cm......can we expect him to handle 195cm power Fwds

maj

At the end of the day, we need players with skill, that make good decisions. Players like, Peake, CJ, Gram, Blake will find it hard to break into the team by seasons end. My feeling is that the kids, our future, Sipposs, Ross, Ledger to name a few will be the names to take the spots of players with poor skills. At the end of the day, turnovers is what wins opposition games. CJ might be a great tager, but so was Jack Daniels!!

defacto
Club Player

do club still tagg players?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
SainterK wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Do Jones opponents also allow him to constantly have all those clearances and hard-ball gets ? :shock:
Perhaps.

Forwards let Gilbert get possessions in their attacking 50.
Interesting yet on the BF Saints board, you seemed to mock radio commentators for suggesting Coll 'let' Gilbert get 20 + poss :shock:

Not quite sure whether any team lets players have easy possessions - even if it's a clanger, it's still being pumped forward or out of the defence - maybe some players are tagged less than others.
Oh, I was mocking again here.

The notion is a ridiculous one.

Gilbert is in for a ripper year.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:do club still tagg players?

Yes. You might recall the 2011 Grand Final. Ling on Swan

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:That being said about gwilt......remember he is 188cm......can we expect him to handle 195cm power Fwds
jimmy is a gun player but will struggle on the 195cm guys. jimmy can play on guys up to 191 cm no problems. taller than that he battles.

dempster is 191cm but struggles on opponents taller than him. he is most effective on shorter players.

so it is left to simpkin (191) and gilbo (194) to handle the talls.

(wilkes is 194 so maybe gets a chance if all else fails..... shame ferguson isnt 2 years older already.)

sainter#4
Club Player

whats with the over reactions?? so we got pumped, as far as im concerned two weeks before the season its a positive. It gives us a chance to fix these issues.

if you want to discuss a concern its that i dont think roo has kicked a goal all pre season?? correct me if im wrong.

when your paying a bloke $1million, he better be preforming come round 1

as for the rest, im not worried at all. the thing about practice matches is that we can try a few things, see what works and what doesnt - EG dempster as a key back

but we have discovered ledger is a player, and watters is not afraid to dump under preformers to the 2's eg ray and gram