Match thread....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Bad time to tank.....

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

It is a terrible time to tank.
oh well tanking we are.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Nothing to do with coaching or gameplans. Our team met with some resistance and folded. The mental toughness is gone, that can't be coached back in overnight.

A year out of the spotlight is obviously what's needed. Carlton and Hawthorn are perfect demonstrations of what's required - get challenged, dig deep and find a way.

Mental toughness, digging deep... things that used to be this team's trademark.
Last edited by InkerSaint on Sun 15 May 2011 4:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:It is a terrible time to tank.
oh well tanking we are.
It's not tanking if you're simply not good enough.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:well i'm past caring...the thing that really worries me is how many seasons will we be down from here? I feel a bit embarrassed for the players, they truly have hit rock bottom and have taken me with them.
Time to tank bigtime if they haven't already started.
Pretty much the same. Not sure how long we will be down for, we fell fast so maybe we can come back fast. Dont be embarrassed for the players that is up to them. All we can do as supporters is keep buying our memberships. It isnt our fault. Just remember why we barrack for them. Sometimes its hard 50 years I've been putting up with it. But like you firey I dont let it get to me any more.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

At least I can now plan a holiday earlier than I need to and Ill have the cash to pay for it now :D

SainterX
Club Player

Saints Angel wrote:Dwayne Russell was a dog of a commentator today. He sure enjoyed sticking the boots in to the Saints. I agree it was a poor effort today by the Saints. A few Saints should be in the two's next week. Looking on the bright side - at least the only way is up.
On another bright side the media and most opposition supporters may think we are gone, and may just forget about us. Hopefully that will mean we can play more freely, with no media spotlight at all, and salvage something :D

We were way down in 1999, but come 2003 we bounced back hard, and have been up ever since. If we go down it won't be for too long I am sure of it :wink:
Last edited by SainterX on Sun 15 May 2011 5:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:At least I can now plan a holiday earlier than I need to and Ill have the cash to pay for it now :D
see there are positives :lol: :lol: :lol:

realdeal
Club Player

oh well tanking we are.
Tanking infers that you're deliberately losing or not giving your selves the best chance of winning.
We're tanking by accident.

That would have to easily be the worst, most gutless football ive seen from this team. With our whole season on the line.. They played like that. wow

sRaf
Club Player

Our best and our absolute worst...

Saints Angel
Club Player

[quote="mullet"][quote="The Fireman"]well i'm past caring...the thing that really worries me is how many seasons will we be down from here? I feel a bit embarrassed for the players, they truly have hit rock bottom and have taken me with them.
Time to tank bigtime if they haven't already started.[/quote]

Pretty much the same. Not sure how long we will be down for, we fell fast so maybe we can come back fast. Dont be embarrassed for the players that is up to them. All we can do as supporters is keep buying our memberships. It isnt our fault. Just remember why we barrack for them. Sometimes its hard 50 years I've been putting up with it. But like you firey I dont let it get to me any more.[/quote]

Agree with this. I have been a member for 59 years and have seen more of the bad days than good. While we are angry with today's performance we have to stick by and watch the next group come through.

sasaint
Club Player

realdeal wrote:
oh well tanking we are.
Tanking infers that you're deliberately losing or not giving your selves the best chance of winning.
We're tanking by accident.

That would have to easily be the worst, most gutless football ive seen from this team. With our whole season on the line.. They played like that. wow
May not be tanking but a good time to blood some fresh faces. I will be glad to see Walsh given a run finally. Might as well have Lynch running around. It is time to see Dal, BJ and some of the other princesses running around in the magooes for a while. :evil:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
The Fireman wrote:well i'm past caring...the thing that really worries me is how many seasons will we be down from here? I feel a bit embarrassed for the players, they truly have hit rock bottom and have taken me with them.
Time to tank bigtime if they haven't already started.
Pretty much the same. Not sure how long we will be down for, we fell fast so maybe we can come back fast. Dont be embarrassed for the players that is up to them. All we can do as supporters is keep buying our memberships. It isnt our fault. Just remember why we barrack for them. Sometimes its hard 50 years I've been putting up with it. But like you firey I dont let it get to me any more.
I can't see us coming back quickly atm..we have too many mentally broken players at our top end , our lesser lights bordering on ordinary,that could take ages to repair, we are slow and had a game plan that could cover it until others started using it.
I feel embarrassed for them simply because they are atm pitiful and they must know how much they are letting us down as fans let alone themselves. Watching how feeble they looked in the centre clearances and all stoppages was embarrasing for everyone.

If Ross finds something pleasing from our present predicament I will deadset spew.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
Pwoit wrote:At least I can now plan a holiday earlier than I need to and Ill have the cash to pay for it now :D
see there are positives :lol: :lol: :lol:
plus you won't be shattered at another lost gf

I love this club
The Craw
Club Player

I think I watched one of the most pathetic 3 qtrs I have ever seen from a St kilda side. Even in the 80's and early 00's we at least had a crack.

Cannot believe how many spectators the Saints had the ground, smashed in the clearances yet again, just not wanting to get the hard ball.

Seriously, I am glad Lendog is in the stands at the moment, why would you put you body on the line when you have got a team of freeloaders.

For the first time in my 40 or so years of supporting this club I felt as though the players just didn't give a sh!t.

Not Craw, CRAW!
kalsaint
Club Player

sRaf wrote:Image

Our best and our absolute worst...
Hawthorn
Player Name  K H D M HO T FF FA G B DT
TOTALS 273 147 420 157 44 79 23 23 14 11 1993
DIFFERENCE 109 5 114 87 7 23 0 0 4 6 727

St. Kilda
TOTALS 164 142 306 70 37 56 23 23 10 5 1266
DIFFERENCE -109 -5 -114 -87 -7 -23 0 0 -4 -6 -727

SAYS IT ALL. Insipid effort after Q1

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote:I think I watched one of the most pathetic 3 qtrs I have ever seen from a St kilda side. Even in the 80's and early 00's we at least had a crack.
This is because we know they are capable of so much more.
Mentally shot.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Jeez, 79 tackles to 56, and 157 marks to 70.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

nicked over to dad's at 1/4 time to watch the game.
saw two teams play better than the saints yesterday with the nt thunder and mt gravatt. tungatulum in better form than any today.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
kalsaint
Club Player

mullet wrote:
twirlyhair wrote:Time for some of our big guns to be given a run in the seconds....going through the motions, play the kids, at least they are not mentally affected...because that is all it is. Its all in the head.
You cant just bring all the kids in. They would loose by 10+ goals every week and their confidence would be shot.

So sick of hearing this, look how many kids are out there this week. It has to be a gradual thing. Getting the perfect balance is hard.
Having said that I reckon Gold Coast could possibly beat us on current form. They too have had some floggings but dont appear to have the mental state St. Kilda does currentyl.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

kalsaint
Club Player

Re: Only thing keeping them in this Hawks kicking at goal.

WinnersOnly wrote:Only thing keeping them in this Hawks kicking at goal and Sam FISHER.

Some have been absolutely disgraceful - GRAM, STEVEN, GODDARD, JONES, and McEVOY have been pityfull.

Steven KING and Robert HARVEY should be held accountable now! We have the worst centre bounce sets in the comp. McEVOY is rucking against a full forward and still cant hit a ball to our advantage.
McEvoy turned around his stats in the second half but still was not effective. As someone mentioned earlier, Saints couldnt win a clearance if their life depended on it. Both team content and coaching strategy needs some action here.

kalsaint
Club Player

mullet wrote:
twirlyhair wrote:
mullet wrote:
twirlyhair wrote:
mullet wrote:
twirlyhair wrote:Time for some of our big guns to be given a run in the seconds....going through the motions, play the kids, at least they are not mentally affected...because that is all it is. Its all in the head.
You cant just bring all the kids in. They would loose by 10+ goals every week and their confidence would be shot.

So sick of hearing this, look how many kids are out there this week. It has to be a gradual thing. Getting the perfect balance is hard.
Mate not suggesting playing the entire seconds team. But how long can we persist with players like Gram not giving a yelp? Not even putting any pressure on. And hey, our kids are no longer kids...many of them have been running around in the VFL for two-three years now...
Gram played ok last week. So that is why he is in this weeks team. You cant drop a player half way through a game, unless you sub him, which I believe we have already done.
Yeah but you can drop him next week...which we wont do. Comes a time when you have to really make a stand as coach. You will lose games, but we are in pre-season for next year now. Time to look to the future.
How do you know he wont be dropped next week. Wait and see then come on and vent your spleen.

I still dont know the score, some match thread. More people come on when we are losing than when we were blitzing in first quarter.
\
And you dont understand why? We crave success and this was the opposite after a reasonable start, albeit due to Hawthorn's inept first quarter effort.

kalsaint
Club Player

twirlyhair wrote:
mullet wrote:
twirlyhair wrote:
mullet wrote:
twirlyhair wrote:
mullet wrote:

Mate not suggesting playing the entire seconds team. But how long can we persist with players like Gram not giving a yelp? Not even putting any pressure on. And hey, our kids are no longer kids...many of them have been running around in the VFL for two-three years now...
Gram played ok last week. So that is why he is in this weeks team. You cant drop a player half way through a game, unless you sub him, which I believe we have already done.
Yeah but you can drop him next week...which we wont do. Comes a time when you have to really make a stand as coach. You will lose games, but we are in pre-season for next year now. Time to look to the future.
How do you know he wont be dropped next week. Wait and see then come on and vent your spleen.

I still dont know the score, some match thread. More people come on when we are losing than when we were blitzing in first quarter.
Mate its not about venting your spleen, its about list management. Our players are clearly affected from the last two years, and the message is not getting through. A player like Sippos proves that we must blood players...and woyldnt Rooy love to be able to kick like Sippos...
Yep Sippos for kicking coaching with Roo. Its time to deliver and challenge our poor kicking paradigm. I dont care if a youngster can help or if seniors dont think they need the help. Its a team game and team effort needed during game time and non game time too.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

plus you won't be shattered at another lost gf

:)

love it.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: If Ross finds something pleasing from our present predicament I will deadset spew.
I can Fireman - We save about $600 in finals tickets this season (and probably for the next few)

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)