2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

Con Gorozidis wrote:SEN/Inside footy have us taking Goddard at pick 4.

Interestingly they have us finishing ahead of the Tiges which I doubt will happen - but who knows with the Tiges.
Id laugh if they went for Wright. They would then have Hampson, Maric, Vickory,Wright and Orrenson running around.

For our needs - I would be seriously considering PIckett if we think we can snag a tall fwd from elsewhere. (Tiges also desperately need someone like Pickett).

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2 ... t-10/64946
That mock draft was done a couple of weeks ago and based on the current ladder position at that point.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:SEN/Inside footy have us taking Goddard at pick 4.

Interestingly they have us finishing ahead of the Tiges which I doubt will happen - but who knows with the Tiges.
Id laugh if they went for Wright. They would then have Hampson, Maric, Vickory,Wright and Orrenson running around.

For our needs - I would be seriously considering PIckett if we think we can snag a tall fwd from elsewhere. (Tiges also desperately need someone like Pickett).

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2 ... t-10/64946
That mock draft was done a couple of weeks ago and based on the current ladder position at that point.
Fair enough - Were Tiggers down to 3rd last? Did the Dees get up to 12 before the Tigs last win? Must have. Tiges really have been awful.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lets say we get pick 2 + 20.

What way does anyone see us getting another top 20 pick which is what Pelchen wants?

I dont see many options for us.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Lets say we get pick 2 + 20.

What way does anyone see us getting another top 20 pick which is what Pelchen wants?

priority pick?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Yeah Con, Tigers were down to 3rd last before they smashed GWS.

In regards to gaining another top 20 pick there's a few players that will get interest. I'd imagine Hawthorn would go for a similar Big Boy trade with Armitage with their ageing midfield and a need to replace Sewel. Port will again show interest in Stanley. Possibly a swap of picks if they have a late first rounder around pick 17-18.

I'd be down for trading very little and go to the draft with picks 2, 20, 38, 56 etc. Perhaps get a GWS player in the PSD such as O'Rourke as well, or Gaff from WC.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Trading out Joey + 3rd rounder (38?)........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Yeah Con, Tigers were down to 3rd last before they smashed GWS.

In regards to gaining another top 20 pick there's a few players that will get interest. I'd imagine Hawthorn would go for a similar Big Boy trade with Armitage with their ageing midfield and a need to replace Sewel. Port will again show interest in Stanley. Possibly a swap of picks if they have a late first rounder around pick 17-18.

I'd be down for trading very little and go to the draft with picks 2, 20, 38, 56 etc. Perhaps get a GWS player in the PSD such as O'Rourke as well, or Gaff from WC.

Stanley isnt getting us a first rounder even if we traded picks. he is a delistment or a keeper IMO. Armo could get a late second rounder I suppose. I reckon we only have 3 players on our list that could get a first rounder and they are Steven, Billings and maybe Dunstan.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Could Joey plus 38 get us say pick 22 from the Tiggers?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Could Joey plus 38 get us say pick 22 from the Tiggers?
We would be paying way too much for Pick 22 then.

Joey for a downgrade of 16 picks and not even in the 20? no thank you

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Sam Gilbert

And unfortunately D.Armitage

Seb Ross?

Stanley, Siposs, Spencer White

Plus another player whom I won't name

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

To me Armo and Steven are off the table. They are leaders and we need to bat deep in the midfield and you need a fair degree of age spread to challenge for a flag. Most likely trade bait would be:

Monty - his name was going around last year when he was dissatisfied with Watters. These compact little running players, like Harvey, seem to just keep playing and playing. In a good side he wouldn't be tagged and would provide great run and penetrating kicking and some goals.
Gilbert - a team with Freo's resources may feel confident they could get his injuries right and have a great rebounding, marking halfback you could throw forward. If Freo don't win the flag this year look for Ross trying desperately to get some more fire power to recharge for another shot.
Stanley - a club desperate for a ruck may feel he could be worth a risk as a main ruck and be another option forward when resting. We have enough rucks and we seemed to have pinned our hopes on him being the dominating forward that he is increasingly looking like he isn't.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Could Joey plus 38 get us say pick 22 from the Tiggers?
We would be paying way too much for Pick 22 then.

Joey for a downgrade of 16 picks and not even in the 20? no thank you
FFS. Im just asking for ideas. This was an ideas generator.
You tell me how we can get a Top 20 pick then.
Dont just come on here and bag my ideas and not try one yourself. Everyone else seems to have given it a fair go.

For what its worth - I reckon Pelchen would consider that deal.

Freo might look at Gilbo.
What about Gilbo + 38 for 16?

Or GWS - Joey + 38 for 21.

Stanley + 38 for Ports pick 17?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Sam Gilbert

Seb Ross?

Just show some courage and say Hickey BM or are scared? Why not Longer. I have no idea what those names even mean though. Surely you arent saying we could trade all of them. At least 3 arent worth anything. You do realise your bagging of Hickey makes me sick.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Sam Gilbert

Seb Ross?

Just show some courage and say Hickey BM or are scared? Why not Longer. I have no idea what those names even mean though. Surely you arent saying we could trade all of them. At least 3 arent worth anything. You do realise your bagging of Hickey makes me sick.
Big night down the Boundary?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Of course only one or at best two of those deals would get done, and not unless the trade was favourable...

All of those players have currency. When you think that 60-70 players get drafted every year, and only half of them remain more than three years on a list. These players have all made the grade and earned further contracts and could play 4+ more years at the level

Armitage 26yo 100 games Top 5 B&F in 2013
pick 20-30
Or player exchange for high DP coming home
Likely club GWS
Deal Armitage for O'Rourke, Buntine, Jaksch, Plowman?

Gilbert 28yo 100+ games 194cm running defender Third in B&F in premiership year
Pick 30-40 or upgrade (which we would likely look at) or player exchange
Likely club: Brisbane
Deal I'd accept... Brisbane second round pick pick 19 for Gilbert + StK third Rnd pick 38

Seb Ross... Pick 25 2011 draft 187cm inside mid 20 games
Pick 35-45: Likely club
Essendon
Deal I'd accept would be third round pick pick 40?

Stanley... 200cm 60 gamer with obvious athletic abilities would attract heaps of interest
Pick 25-35
Likely club: Adelaide
Deal I'd accept
Either a second Rnd DP mid twenties
Or player swap with Josh Jenkins with pick exchange in their favour.

Siposs: 2012 Rising Star nominee, 189cm talented fwd
Player exchange or Pick 35-45
Likely clubs: Freo, GWS, Carl, Rich, Dogs
Accept player trade Ayce Cordy, Griffiths, Pears plus pick exchange

Spencer White 196 cm KPP athletic ability
Player exchange or pick 35-45
Likely club: Dogs, Dockers
Accept: any reasonable deal

Longer
Probably wouldn't trade a 202cm 100kg 21yo former top ten DP for anything less than a top 10 pick or highly rated player

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I must have been asleep during the PREMIERSHIP year Gilbert ran 3rd in B &F!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Of course only one or at best two of those deals would get done, and not unless the trade was favourable...

All of those players have currency. When you think that 60-70 players get drafted every year, and only half of them remain more than three years on a list. These players have all made the grade and earned further contracts and could play 4+ more years at the level

pick 20-30
Likely club GWS

Deal I'd accept... Brisbane second round pick pick 19 for Gilbert + StK third Rnd pick 38

Essendon

Stanley... 200cm 60 gamer with obvious athletic abilities would attract heaps of interest
Pick 25-35
Deal I'd accept

Longer
Probably wouldn't trade a 202cm 100kg 21yo former top ten DP for anything less than a top 10 pick or highly rated player

I think you have the right spots for the first 2 players but you are massively overestimating the others. Siposs is a keeper or a delister. he isnt worth any picks. White could get nothing as well. he is in our thirds at the moment. Stanley is a keeper or a delister. The chances of getting jenkins for Stanley is nearly laughable even if they got some sort of pick in their favour. May as well keep Ross. he is again not tradable from what I have seen.
Last edited by plugger66 on Sat 07 Jun 2014 3:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:I must have been asleep during the PREMIERSHIP year Gilbert ran 3rd in B &F!
It was a good year whiskers... Shame you missed it, right in between 2009 & 2010 we had a 2009.5

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It was a premiership year... Just we didn't win it!

Yes I must have got confused, the way I read things on here sometimes I think we did win.... We were after all... A 'bad bounce' away...

P66
Jenkins is Victorian, yes? Is he happy there? Is he getting as much as he's worth? Is he under contract?
I would never put restrictions on recruiting, because I think we are NO chance? Explore every player imo
I've explained before, we were bent over a barrel with Ball... Players out of contract hold the whip nowadays or they can just walk. If they were to lose Jenkins, what sort of player do you reckon they'd want. Last year both those players would have been around equal. Question is, can they afford him? Butcher is another target too. Not forgetting, other clubs rate their development program's, and if they see something that we cannot expose from Rhys... They'd snap him up!
They certainly wouldn't be as dumb as us, and lose him for nothing.

Brisbane certainly didn't want pick 25 for Longer.... But took what they could get.

Siposs would certainly attract interest at 21yo. Has shown glimpses of what clubs want, high skill level, who can kick. Freo would snap him up without question.

Ross not tradeable?
He would be a terrific bit of list management for pick 40-50? In the right midfield he might thrive, at worse would be a solid back up? A pick in that range has a better than 50% chance of being a bust!
I Guess that's why you're not a recruiter... Honestly, did you think Lynch was tradeable? Did u think we were going to trade for TDL with pick 45?
Clubs are after bargains, clubs are after certain types, clubs love to do a 'Sydney' and get a surplus (Mumford, Richards, Kennedy, McGlynn, Shaw) and get something from them...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:It was a premiership year... Just we didn't win it!

Yes I must have got confused, the way I read things on here sometimes I think we did win.... We were after all... A 'bad bounce' away...

P66
Jenkins is Victorian, yes? Is he happy there? Is he getting as much as he's worth? Is he under contract?
I would never put restrictions on recruiting, because I think we are NO chance? Explore every player imo
I've explained before, we were bent over a barrel with Ball... Players out of contract hold the whip nowadays or they can just walk. If they were to lose Jenkins, what sort of player do you reckon they'd want. Last year both those players would have been around equal. Question is, can they afford him? Butcher is another target too. Not forgetting, other clubs rate their development program's, and if they see something that we cannot expose from Rhys... They'd snap him up!
They certainly wouldn't be as dumb as us, and lose him for nothing.

Brisbane certainly didn't want pick 25 for Longer.... But took what they could get.

Siposs would certainly attract interest at 21yo. Has shown glimpses of what clubs want, high skill level, who can kick. Freo would snap him up without question.

Ross not tradeable?
He would be a terrific bit of list management for pick 40-50? In the right midfield he might thrive, at worse would be a solid back up? A pick in that range has a better than 50% chance of being a bust!
I Guess that's why you're not a recruiter... Honestly, did you think Lynch was tradeable? Did u think we were going to trade for TDL with pick 45?
Clubs are after bargains, clubs are after certain types, clubs love to do a 'Sydney' and get a surplus (Mumford, Richards, Kennedy, McGlynn, Shaw) and get something from them...

Those first 2 lines some you up. You just knock the club every single chance you get. You just try and bait just about everyone on here. There is something a bit sad about it I reckon. To be honest it doesnt matter what restrictions you do or dont put on recruiting, you have nothing to do it. Just common sense says what you suggested are no hope of happening. No I idea why Ball has come up. Siposs would get as much interest as ledger and LJ conners. And I guess thats why you arent a recruiter either. When given a chance one year to say who we should recruit you went for Elton. Going well isnt he? No I wouldnt have thought we should get TDL. And yes I thought Lynch was worth something. You told us all that Ledger would end up playing AFL again this year. As for your Sydney example what have those names got to do with the names you suggested? I could say Ledger, Walsh, heyne and about 500 more.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Siposs would get as much interest as Eljay?

Plugger, come on... Don't be silly

One guy a 189cm 90kg 21yo with 20 games 20goals, a rising star nomination... And has shown glimpses of rare talent even at AFL level. Just three weeks ago he had a staggering game in the VFL.

Eljay
181cm 67kg mid who never debuted and only played a few VFL games and generally played if uninjured in the VFL reserves.

Not a good comparison.

If Siposs was offered he would attract a trade for the pick I suggested.

It's good to see you turning your attention on your thoughts on me again, off the footy topic (for obvious reasons) be careful not to push it too much again though, surely you learned a lesson?
Getting personal is not required is it?

Ball came up for obvious reasons... Your little jibe about Jenkins ..... Got me thinking about which player was picked up for massive unders. Ball fit the bill, as did Longer?

Settle down a bit
I know you like to disagree with me at every turn, but it suggested a few options of trade... That IMO I would enquire about.

Your defeatist attitude is typical.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Siposs would get as much interest as Eljay?

Plugger, come on... Don't be silly

One guy a 189cm 90kg 21yo with 20 games 20goals, a rising star nomination... And has shown glimpses of rare talent even at AFL level. Just three weeks ago he had a staggering game in the VFL.

Eljay
181cm 67kg mid who never debuted and only played a few VFL games and generally played if uninjured in the VFL reserves.

Not a good comparison.

If Siposs was offered he would attract a trade for the pick I suggested.

It's good to see you turning your attention on your thoughts on me again, off the footy topic (for obvious reasons) be careful not to push it too much again though, surely you learned a lesson?
Getting personal is not required is it?

Ball came up for obvious reasons... Your little jibe about Jenkins ..... Got me thinking about which player was picked up for massive unders. Ball fit the bill, as did Longer?

Settle down a bit
I know you like to disagree with me at every turn, but it suggested a few options of trade... That IMO I would enquire about.

Your defeatist attitude is typical.

My point is it matters little what they are built like because Im afraid neither would or did get any interest. Siposs has played about 6 games in the last 2 years. There is probably 400 players in the AFL with similar credentials and about 5 get traded so why him. If getting personal is aying you like to knock the club just about every chance you get you have a strange idea of getting personal. Please tell the personal comments insteead of saying it to get some attention. And you know why I disagree with you a lot. Its because i dont think what you say is helpful and I sometimes what you say is plainly wrong IMO. I love the way you keep saying we got Longer for unders but paid way to much for Hickey and is bascially a dud in your opinion. Once you decide one way or another about a player even if eventually fact proves you wrong you will never admit it. And I have learned a lesson. I didnt get personal but I can see what you are playing at. And Im settled. Your posts make me realise I know more about footy than I thought.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Of course only one or at best two of those deals would get done, and not unless the trade was favourable...

pick 20-30
Likely club GWS

Essendon

Pick 25-35
Deal I'd accept

Longer
This years draft is suppose to be very even with a lot of depth so I wouldn't be surprised if we try and get a couple of extra picks in that 20-40 range.

Armitage I suspect would be close to untouchable and we would want a deal similar to the return we received for McEvoy. The reason we need Armitage so much is because he helps bridge the age between our older and younger players. We desperately need him to take hits in the middle for Acres, Billings, Dunstan etc. The draft range value you have is accurate but doubt it would interest the club.

Gilbert is in a similar boat to Armitage. He's another we desperately need to keep considering Fisher will go close to retiring at the end of the year, Simpkin a chance to be delisted and Gwilt not good enough to get a game even with multiple injuries in our back half. If we did trade him then again we would need serious overs.

Developing Ross for three seasons....Then trading him for a pick in the 30's range seems redundant. Upon selecting him in the draft the club said straight away he's a somewhat project player with a few deficiencies however some elite qualities, hence why we used our first pick on him. Very, very unlikely to be traded. He'd need to be involved in a bumper trade such as getting Carlisle to the Saints to be moved on, I suspect.

Stanley is the one I see being traded. Port showed interest last year and again will this year IMO. If we could get a pick upgrade, like pick 20 and Stanley for pick 16-18 then I'd consider it...But prefer a Jasper Pittard or Jon Butcher involved. Unlikely though.

Sippos....Any interest? Unlikely. I believe the Pies showed interest two years back and saw his talent believing they could develop him accordingly. He's underwhelmed since and is more delist material. Perhaps he gets a rookie pick lifeline.

Spencer White, similar boat to Ross. The kid is still 19 years of age and is very much a longterm project. I get that he shouldn't be playing Sandy 2's but he'll be given time, and a lot of it. I doubt much interest would come either.

FQF
SS Life Member

What role would Stanley play in the Port team. They have a very well balanced and potent forward line and an adequate ruck department. Can't see an opening for Stanley — unless they'd just want him for depth?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:What role would Stanley play in the Port team. They have a very well balanced and potent forward line and an adequate ruck department. Can't see an opening for Stanley — unless they'd just want him for depth?
If Lobbe goes down Port are stuffed. Also, they have publicly acknowledged the need for a forward/2nd ruck. Stanley is at that age where he's about to hit his peak and Port believe in their player development skills to get the best out of Stanley. They made enquiries last year. Not sure AR rates Stanley like SW's did.