NAB Challenge R4 Magpies v Saints GAME THREAD

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: NAB Challenge R4 Magpies v Saints GAME THREAD

skeptic wrote:
saint66au wrote:2. After halftime we showed a bit more ticker. Joey worked his way into the game and CJ and Gilbo found lots of the footy. Sadly tho we have to make a decision on CJ...as he finds it then butchers it over and over.

so a typical game from CJ then.

Seriously, how people can think having him in our team is somehow a positive move astounds.

Saints kicked 2 goals in a minute, short pass to CJ about 35m in front, 45 degree angle, Saints have the momentum... out on the full. I was embarrassing.

People just don't seem to realise that the reason CJ often gets on the end of passes and loose balls is that his opponents let him... they know he cant hurt u so they dro the extra man into defence.

Ever wonder when Roo is triple teamed where the extra Saints are... one is Jones
Except that CJ is a tagger

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
saint66au wrote:2. After halftime we showed a bit more ticker. Joey worked his way into the game and CJ and Gilbo found lots of the footy. Sadly tho we have to make a decision on CJ...as he finds it then butchers it over and over.

Seriously, how people can think having him in our team is somehow a positive move astounds.

Saints kicked 2 goals in a minute, short pass to CJ about 35m in front, 45 degree angle, Saints have the momentum... out on the full. I was embarrassing.

People just don't seem to realise that the reason CJ often gets on the end of passes and loose balls is that his opponents let him... they know he cant hurt u so they dro the extra man into defence.

Ever wonder when Roo is triple teamed where the extra Saints are... one is Jones
Well that's wrong because CJ was usually doing a hard tag but It's CJ's fault we lost..

Reckon if we had Walsh, Heyne, Cahill, Lynch and Will Johnson we'd be top four for sure..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The game was absolutely awful as a spectacle and there weren't as many positives as one would like. Stanley's ruckwork ended up being quite impressive as he used his leap to dominate Jolly in the center bounces. Got monstered at throw ins but at least he showed some promise. Kosi is in the best nick he's been in for a while and should be in for a solid year.

That's about it for the positives though. Our footskills were atrocious and ball movement while quick, was completely ineffective. We're not going to kick winning scores by trying to hit Stanley on the boundary line with two defenders on him. Gilbert did some good things but wasn't as clean as people on here are saying. He still turned the ball over several times and was beaten too easily in one-on-one contests. Riewoldt took some good marks but they were all at least 80m fr
goal.

Saad and Milera had no impact, Simpkin battles hard but was beaten by players with an extra 12kg on him and Cripps made many woeful skill errors in defence. Siposs was impressive when he got the ball but he needs to get it more. Here's
my round one side after today

B: Dempster, Simpkin, Geary
HB: Fisher, Blake, Gilbert
C: Ledger, Steven, Goddard
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Siposs
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Saad

Foll: McEvoy, Dal Santo, Montagna
Int: Armitage, Hayes, Stanley
Sub: Peake

Emg: Gram, Ray, Wilkes

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
skeptic wrote:

Well that's wrong because CJ was usually doing a hard tag but It's CJ's fault we lost..

Reckon if we had Walsh, Heyne, Cahill, Lynch and Will Johnson we'd be top four for sure..
Don't mix arguments

CJ was still poor and is a liability

how people can still find ways to justify his performance!!!! staggering

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

was at the game today/yesterday whenever the hell is was... Just got home after dinner and drinks with friends... Honestly... I've been as positive as anyone about 2012... too positive really... But today... geeeees..... I mean.. yesterday... well I honestly struggle to find positives... You can point out whatever you want out of the statistics but we were lucky not to loose by 90 points because that's the kind of match it was... I love watching St.Kilda players cut off a a genuine marking lead or worry about kicking to a 1 on 1 contest at the top of the goal square so instead kick to a pack of 6 players in the pocket or by the 50 or just turn the ball over in the middle of the ground... anything seems better than trusting your team mate to win a contest. It was actually quite hilarious. Winning the ball not bad... actually doing something with it... well... good luck with that one... I've never seen a team bust their gusts as hard as the Saints to kick a goal but give them away at the other end as if they mean nothing. One thing that I would say about the way we played today is this.... There was a lot of Richmond about St.Kilda today............... think about that. Highlight of the day for me... Nick Dal Santo... absolute class. Such a shame Lenny missed out on the gallop.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

People, people ... let's not forget that our ruptured pre-season has included:

*A cancelled game in the second round (we played an intra-club match in a floodlike conditions instead).

*A trip to the other side of the continent to play in 35 degree heat (against a side that hadn't left Perth).

*A six-day break to play last year's losing Grand Finalist (it wasn't too long again that no team won after returning from Perth).

There's a lot to be concerned about, but let's wait for the real stuff before we give up completely.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The panel of Dermie, Parkin,Shaw and Pickering all agreed that StKilda looked like a horse well short of a gallop in the WC game. They all agreed that being a week at this time of year is like an eternity. The Filth got hammered by Adelaide last week and looked nothing like the side that played yesterday. Attack on the ball and the man is the major thing that's lacking at this stage and that can be rectified. The intensity at the moment is just not there.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Glad we are identifying this in preseason where it doesnt really matter. Many have the blues top four and they have been terrible. Pies nearly lost to GWS, the reigning brownlow medalist didnt even realise he won a game ffs. These things just say to me the result is insignificant, sure we havr work to do but with a fortnight before our first game, Im not writing us off just yet!

And for those blaming CJ for Roo getting triple teamed by 3 tall defenders, my god I get it that his disposal by foot is poor at times but seriously I cant remember someone CJ was tagging like a Swan or Judd going 3rd man up!!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Ever wonder when Roo is triple teamed where the extra Saints are... one is Jones[/quote]

Because at least when we have the ball the opposition don't. He gets the ball and towards the second half of last season was one of the players carrying the midfield. He is'nt Dal but at least better than half the team at the moment. He isn't the only one making skill errors atm.

Reckon if we had Walsh, Heyne, Cahill, Lynch and Will Johnson we'd be top four for sure..[/quote]

Don't mix arguments

CJ was still poor and is a liability

how people can still find ways to justify his performance!!!! staggering[/quote]

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I was at the game and I thought after a slow start we did really well. Match them proper in final quarter. Inside fifty count same.

Difference is in my opinion Pies have a worked in game plan, and ours is still in construction. All our players are still getting form for whatever reason.
The major downside is Lenny Hayes, but seems ok. Would have done with the run out though. So he will be disappointed.
There were positive patches of end to end play. And we have other bigger bodies (Wilkes and Winmar and Archer) that eventually could come in.

Players that stood out for me; CJ was terrific, Stanley really showed something, Milera is pretty tough, Gilbert back to his best. Good signs Nick and Kosi.

My only real player criticism is Peake. I would have expected him to give alot more than he did. But imo he was disappointing. Alot of players didn't shine but were throwing themselves in. Peake not so imo.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Although always disappointing to lose to the filth I think Scott has been really reserved and how he brings the group through to Round 1. You get the feeling that they are more worried about having everyone fit and ready to play than they are results.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Although always disappointing to lose to the filth I think Scott has been really reserved and how he brings the group through to Round 1. You get the feeling that they are more worried about having everyone fit and ready to play than they are results.
OK...let's go with that then.....Look out Port..we're coming and we'll be Fair Dinkum this time....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
maj

The problem with our game is that under Ross Lyon we drafted/played players that can play a role. Many of these players are athletes but not footballers. CJ can run but no one can say he has AFL standard disposal. He cant kick and the more of the ball CJ gets the further down the ladder we will slide. Give it time for the kids to come through that have some skill...eg ross, cripps, siposs, stanley to name a few and a developed game plan that is understood by the playing group and only then will we be a better side. It will be an interesting year.

PJ
SS Life Member

Just out of curiosity - where was Sipposs played yesterday? Considering he was going to be the 3rd forward.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Anyone else reckon that Rooey is on a permanent decline

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
silvertop

PJ wrote:Just out of curiosity - where was Sipposs played yesterday? Considering he was going to be the 3rd forward.
Seemed to get his touches around the wing, half forward. Took a nice contested mark infront of us on the wing that the umps refused to pay. Even the pie supporters were laughing. Was forward a few times, did some good tackling which was good to see. Always had two or three guys against him in marking contests which seemed to be happening to all our forwards? Laughed when he was open at one stage and they kicked it to CJ instead.
Seeing Sipposs and guys like Ledger improve is going to be something to look forward to this year.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

What has happened to Seany D this pre-season?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:Just out of curiosity - where was Sipposs played yesterday? Considering he was going to be the 3rd forward.
He was played up forward for most of it. Don't remember seeing him line up anywhere other than the forward line at centre bounces.
As far as I was concerned, he was another of the few positives to come out of the game for us. He again showed genuine class basically every time he got his hands on the ball. He moves so well and is also very good at getting out of traffic and into the clear. Saw him butcher a kick though, so even the best can do it.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:

Do Jones opponents also allow him to constantly have all those clearances and hard-ball gets ? :shock:

No Contract, No contact :shock:
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Anyone else reckon that Rooey is on a permanent decline
I do think his best football is behind him, still think he can contribute but be the player he is known to be. No.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
skeptic wrote:

Do Jones opponents also allow him to constantly have all those clearances and hard-ball gets ? :shock:
I reckon as soon as they see the blond locks they spread off him like he farted.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:What has happened to Seany D this pre-season?
To be fair, is he a defender?

It's hard to tell.

He blossomed as a run with player, not sure how he will go on big forwards.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Do Jones opponents also allow him to constantly have all those clearances and hard-ball gets ? :shock:
Perhaps.

Forwards let Gilbert get possessions in their attacking 50.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Do Jones opponents also allow him to constantly have all those clearances and hard-ball gets ? :shock:
Perhaps.

Forwards let Gilbert get possessions in their attacking 50.
Interesting yet on the BF Saints board, you seemed to mock radio commentators for suggesting Coll 'let' Gilbert get 20 + poss :shock:

Not quite sure whether any team lets players have easy possessions - even if it's a clanger, it's still being pumped forward or out of the defence - maybe some players are tagged less than others.
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Sat 17 Mar 2012 5:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Contract, No contact :shock:
westy
Club Player

I reckon we are foxing. Looking for better odds!

I'm livin' in a madhouse