Player caught betting on team mate to kick first goal...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
mullet wrote:Would have Maxwell got away with it if his family members had of just gone in to the local tab to place the bet rather than opening up a betting account for the bet?
I would have thought so unless they could trace the bet back to Maxwell which would be just about impossible unless of course the person at the TAB knew the people betting were related to him.
Agreed.
I just wonder how prevalent this sort of thing actually is?

On the face of it, if you believe Maxwell's account, his penalty of $10,000 fine seems very excessive.
Well I certainly do but got ridiculed for it which is peoples right but based on my knowledge of players and what they say no one then says dont have a bet on that info. I will give you an example that happened last night after these events occurred. I was told who will be replacing Shaw by that players mother. She was told by her son who never mentioned dont use that information to bet and lets face it why would you, its your mum.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: It isnt actually illegal to pass information on to others but you must tell you not to use it for financial gain which I would guess hardly anyone would do. Also you were the one who brought up the law so yes Maxwell and Shaw have broken AFL rules but I cant possibly see what law they have broken.
There is no law yet.

They are very, very lucky (well Shaw is anyway).

This is from an article where there's been a recommendation to introduce a criminal offence for cheating in connection with wagering on sport.....

COMPPS Chairman, and Cricket Australia supremo James Sutherland said while there had been few instances of betting-related corruption in Australian sport, the growth and increase in types of bets increased risks that players could be tempted to cheat.

“Even the perception that something could be wrong is enough to undermine a sport’s public credibility,â€

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I haven't seen much of their interviews, just heard bits and pieces on the radio.

Did Shaw and Maxwell say this was the first time this has ever happened?

Gee, s*** out of luck if it is and they got caught... :roll: :lol: :shock:

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
mullet wrote:Would have Maxwell got away with it if his family members had of just gone in to the local tab to place the bet rather than opening up a betting account for the bet?
I would have thought so unless they could trace the bet back to Maxwell which would be just about impossible unless of course the person at the TAB knew the people betting were related to him.
Agreed.

On the face of it, if you believe Maxwell's account, his penalty of $10,000 fine seems very excessive.
Well I certainly do but got ridiculed for it which is peoples right but based on my knowledge of players and what they say no one then says dont have a bet on that info. I will give you an example that happened last night after these events occurred. I was told who will be replacing Shaw by that players mother. She was told by her son who never mentioned dont use that information to bet and lets face it why would you, its your mum.

A $10k fine for telling your Mum where you're playing is ludicrous. Absolutely ludicrous.

Which is why I believe that once again, Collingwood and the people in charge are lying through their teeth.

There is no way in hell that they'd cop a $10k fine to their captain if all he did was make a passing comment to his mum about where he was playing.

Come on.

Did they fine Goldsack $10k when his Mum backed him to kick the 1st Goal of the Granny?
Of course they didn't. Did they even ask him whether he told her he'd be starting on the ground? Of course they didn't.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:I haven't seen much of their interviews, just heard bits and pieces on the radio.

How did they get caught?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:I haven't seen much of their interviews, just heard bits and pieces on the radio.

Have no idea about Shaw but Maxwell said he tells his family about where he plays each week. Maxwell hasnt been caught at betting at all but was caught not saying with this information I give you you shouldnt bet. My guess is Shaw would have bet on footy before just like a few others still do. Only a guess. Sorry that I am having a guess because I havent played AFL footy so I shouldnt guess.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Anyone notice a pattern here. :shock:

ADD
Alcoholism
Gambling (punting on the horses)

Only difference is this guy will have missed 12 games through his misbehaviour.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Agreed.

A $10k fine for telling your Mum where you're playing is ludicrous. Absolutely ludicrous.

Which is why I believe that once again, Collingwood and the people in charge are lying through their teeth.

There is no way in hell that they'd cop a $10k fine to their captain if all he did was make a passing comment to his mum about where he was playing.

Come on.

Did they fine Goldsack $10k when his Mum backed him to kick the 1st Goal of the Granny?
Of course they didn't. Did they even ask him whether he told her he'd be starting on the ground? Of course they didn't.
What are you on about. Stop using please. Maxwell was asked because his odds changed a fair bit which is unusual for that type of bet and the fact he started forward. because the AFL can get that information on betting they worked out the people placing the bets were related to Maxwell. That wouldnt be hard to do. That is why he was fined. He gave them the information without telling them not to bet on that information. Goldsacks mum has every right to bet on her son kicking the first goal as long as he hasnt given any extra information that isnt available to others.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Agreed.

Come on.

Maxwell told his family he would start in the forward line. This information was used by his brother and his wife's mother to place bets totalling $85.

The bets were lost when Magpie John McCarthy kicked the first goal.

Maxwell, the Magpies captain, said he took "full responsibility".

"The rules state any information you give out is not to be used for gambling purposes. I never said in black and white you can't use that information to gamble," he said.

"It's not their (family members') fault because I had never explained to them that situation. They had no idea. I never in my wildest dreams thought they would use this information to gamble."

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: I just wonder how prevalent this sort of thing actually is?

The smart ones, of course, would not get caught. So I'm guessing that this is the tip of the iceberg.

The fine might seem excessive, but who bets on these things if they think it's rigged? So the afl could potentially lose a lot of money, and they over react to scare the bejesus out of dumb footballers, and therefore appear to have it under control.

I hardly think that maxwell would sit there and tell everyone that he hoped to make a packet off the average punter, and that he'd been getting away with it for years. Also the fine is very small relative to his income, and I'm sure some wealthy supporter will help the poor sod out of his financial gloom.

In my view anybody that does this (and I'll bet there are some at every club) is scum. This type of gambling actually encourages corruption, as fat ed keeps telling us.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
markp
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Fidelis wrote:Here's the thing for me, according to the lead article in 'The Age',

"The Saturday Age understands McGuire worked hard to reduce Shaw's suspension from being a season-ending one."

Since when do club presidents get involved in negotiating the length of AFL suspensions?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/i ... 1hicw.html
Exactly!
''I am horrified that this has happened to our football club,'' he said, praising and co-operating with the AFL. The Saturday Age understands McGuire worked hard to reduce Shaw's suspension from being a season-ending one.
I suppose it helps when your mates with the AFL CEO!

AND when Demetriou gives himself bonuses based on attendances directly related to providing Collingwood with whatever home and away season FIXture they dream up.

Absolute feather duster and wet lettuce to a player knowingly compromising a betting market.

8 weeks, what a joke, should have been 20!

6 weeks suspended :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

WTF is that, the bit Eddie worked on I'm betting!

Can they open a market on that, FAIR DINKUM

Since when does a Club president negotiate penalties handed down.

Baker would have got an entire season.

But because it's Eddie wood the AFL go soft.

They talk the talk about no betting on games blah, blah, blah, but as soon as a Collingwood player breaks the rule the penalty dished out is a slap on the wrist.

Absolute disgrace.
Spot on, what a joke... 6 weeks 'suspended' for what??

So if he bets on another filth game again he'll get the 6 weeks?

:roll:

Conveniently back in time for the finals.

Breathtaking, really.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
Fidelis wrote:Here's the thing for me, according to the lead article in 'The Age',

"The Saturday Age understands McGuire worked hard to reduce Shaw's suspension from being a season-ending one."

Since when do club presidents get involved in negotiating the length of AFL suspensions?

Exactly!
''I am horrified that this has happened to our football club,'' he said, praising and co-operating with the AFL. The Saturday Age understands McGuire worked hard to reduce Shaw's suspension from being a season-ending one.

AND when Demetriou gives himself bonuses based on attendances directly related to providing Collingwood with whatever home and away season FIXture they dream up.

Absolute feather duster and wet lettuce to a player knowingly compromising a betting market.

They talk the talk about no betting on games blah, blah, blah, but as soon as a Collingwood player breaks the rule the penalty dished out is a slap on the wrist.

Absolute disgrace.

Breathtaking, really.
First player to be suspended and gets 8 weeks. Sounds more than enough really. Got a suspended sentence as just about every other person has who has been found guilty of betting so nothing unusual in that. Some people hate the pies so much they lose all common sense because you can bet if it was one of our players we would be claiming corrupt, they hate us, Mother Teresa dislikes us, the pope hates us and AD and AA want us out of the AFL.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Some people hate the pies so much they lose all common sense because you can bet if it was one of our players we would be claiming corrupt, they hate us, Mother Teresa dislikes us, the pope hates us and AD and AA want us out of the AFL.
You can bet that if it was one of our players and they got twenty weeks you'd be saying that's about right, and that the player himself told you that it was pretty fair.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
markp
Saintsational Legend

Steve Vizard had his reputation ruined, was fined nearly half a million and barred from being a company director for 10 years for insider trading, even though he lost hundreds of thousands in that trading... martha stewart went to jail for insider trading, even though she only avoided a $40-odd K of loss on the deal... the amount is immaterial.

What Shaw did shows an utter disregard and preparedness to defile the fundamental foundation of the integrity of the game, and is only a step away from match fixing.

Suspending 6 weeks is farcical and pointless... why not just give him the 8???

What a joke.
'I am horrified that this has happened to our football club,'' he said, praising and co-operating with the AFL. The Saturday Age understands McGuire worked hard to reduce Shaw's suspension from being a season-ending one.
If true (and it should be investigated further), that in itself is a freaking outrage.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

More and more people now believe in the tooth fairy because Shaw & Maxwell told them he/she was REAL !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:The Saturday Age understands McGuire worked hard to reduce Shaw's suspension from being a season-ending one.
While it's interesting that Anderson can be so easily manipulated.

Who does it really help in the long run Mark?

Certainly not Shaw, not Collingwood and it's culture.

Place premierships above players welfare, it will surely backfire, at some point.

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
markp wrote:The Saturday Age understands McGuire worked hard to reduce Shaw's suspension from being a season-ending one.
While it's interesting that Anderson can be so easily manipulated.

Who does it really help in the long run Mark?

Certainly not Shaw, not Collingwood and it's culture.

Place premierships above players welfare, it will surely backfire, at some point.
It reeks of nothing but expediency... and reminds me of the disillusionment I felt after the Hall debacle.

It also more than lays bare the AFL mindset, it rubs our faces in it.

''We're giving him 14 weeks*!''... Why not say ''we're sentencing him to death*!'' (*commuted to an 8 weeks suspension)

ando051
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I'm not a lawyer so my opinion is purely that of a 'lay person'.

By placing the bet based on knowledge that neither the betting agency or the general public was aware of (or could have been aware of) they attempted to gain a 'financial advantage'.

At the very least they attempted to gain advantageous odds on an event through their 'inside knowledge'.

Directors of a public company are barred from using their 'inside knowledge' of what is happening to make a financial gain.

There was (still is?) a police investigation into how some people placed bets on the Melbourne Storm finishing last before the 'shyte hit the fan with ther salary cap rorting'. Again 'inside knowledge' is suspected.

I suppose they (Shaw, Maxwell's family) could be 'charged' with something under those rules?

What charges are the police looking at for NRL player Ryan Tandy?
So what if you know your horse is breaking track records in gallops before a race. Should they tell the bookies?
No, apparently according to the rules of horse racing that is ok.

According to the rules regarding sharetrading it is illegal to use 'insider knowlegdge' for financila gain.

In the rules of AFL and NRL it is illegal for players to bet on football.
According to the Maxwel penalty yesterday it is also illegal to pass on 'inside information' to others to use.

That 'ruling' is actually quite interesting.
How widely does that 'barring' spread?

If a 'forward scout' from a Club notices that Reiwoldt (for argument's sake) is injured and unlikely to play, even though the Club picks him, can he tell someone who might use that information to place a bet on Saints opponents at much higher odds than if it was public knowledge that Reiwoldt was not playing?
It isnt actually illegal to pass information on to others but you must tell you not to use it for financial gain which I would guess hardly anyone would do. Also you were the one who brought up the law so yes Maxwell and Shaw have broken AFL rules but I cant possibly see what law they have broken.

The filth players have not broken the law because they did not receive any financial gain. I am unsure if there is a law that states "Attempting to receive financial gain".

Plugger that's my point about how much was wagered on the Maxwell goal, Dr Turf did say not much money would bring an exotic bet down. But how many? What is stopping people to put on bets at $25. I put $5 every week on Yappa his price never gets under 9 - 1. He was 15 - 1 against North Melbourne and got the first goal and he starts every week on the forward line.

Heard this this morning on radio. The banner the MCG " Today's match The Cheats Vs The Gamblers"

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

ando051 wrote: Heard this this morning on radio. The banner the MCG " Today's match The Cheats Vs The Gamblers"
With Maxwell starting at the Punt Road end?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

So this penalty was decided by the AFL in conjunction with Collingwood?

F@@@ me dead.

Why should McGuire be consulted on this at all, let alone be allowed to influence the league's decision.

I guess the MRP also must check with Eddie before handing out penalties ... in case they don't suit Collingwood.

And Dimwit and monkey boy have the hide to talk about the integrity of the competition. :roll: :roll: :roll:

They've got to go, the both of them. Too many sweetheart deals and making up the rules as they go along. Get someone in there with integrity
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 16 Jul 2011 1:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, another double up
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 16 Jul 2011 1:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Agreed.

Yes it seems that the fact that maxwell's family opened a betting account specifically for this bet, according to the piece in the age, bought him undone. Unfortunately it does show just how easy it would be to bet on an outcome if you are prepared to walk into a tab rather than sitting at home and betting.

I am sure that it has happened before and probably been many attempts. Lets face it how easy would it be for a couple of players to get together and and try and make it happen. For it to be a certainty though the whole team would have to be in on it and this I doubt would happen.

It is sad for those who just go out to play the game and those who just want to watch a good game of footy.

I cant stand cheating in any form, I like to believe that sport is an exhibition of talented people. Unfortunately some try to destroy it for everyone.

I dont believe that Shaw and Maxwell were trying to make their fortune out of this either, just think their egos got in the way again. They may have thought they were bigger than the game.

Lets hope this throws out a strong message to all those who think they are so clever.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: The smart ones, of course, would not get caught. So I'm guessing that this is the tip of the iceberg.
Exactly!

Maxwell could have avoided a $10k fine by simply saying 'I did tell them not to bet on it'.

But he didn't. Is that because he's the world's most honest person? I don't think so.

And why would they open an account to make the bet? And not just go to the tote? Because the odds are better, that's why.

And only punters who bet often know this, and or care about an extra point or two.

As for Shaw, well, I'd wager there's much more to his situation than what we've heard.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

Exactly!

Absolute disgrace.

Breathtaking, really.

A total outrage.

The players know the rules and the AFL have made it very clear.

But when a Collingwood player compromises a betting market the AFL bring out the wet lettuce.

McGuire recommending that six weeks be suspended allowing for him to play finals and his mate Demetriou agrees to it, this is what happened, NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER, what a disgrace!

The whole competition is corrupt and until the pigs with their noses in trough are extracted it will remain so.

Fricken unbelievable.

8 weeks, what an absolute joke

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

3AW reporting that 2 further clubs are under investigation & penalty will be decided over the weekend.

If true, perhaps one could be Merret?