Good Bye Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good Bye Billings

Everyone else seems to know?!

It’s been ‘suggested’ he’s overpaid

Even though we don’t know what he’s being paid?!

Gershwin
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 7:46pm Everyone else seems to know?!

The Australian in July 2020 (one year ago) suggested he was the 46th highest paid AFL player and 2nd highest at St Kilda (behind Hill):

Jack Billings
Club: St Kilda
SALARY: $700,000-$750,000
COVID SALARY: $504,000-$540,000
Billings waited until he realised his potential as a wingman and half-forward who effortlessly wins possessions and makes use of them with a lethal left foot when he signed a two-year deal through to 2021 in June last year. Essendon had long been a suitor but he never considered leaving and is now in the very elite of wingmen.

Herald-Sun says 57 in AFL and 3rd at St Kilda (behind Hill and Steele):
Jack Billings
St Kilda
$675,000-$725,000
Big chance he changes teams next season as the Saints aren’t exactly banging down the door with another big contract. The goalkicking midfielder signed a lucrative contract in 2019 for two years but the Saints seem reluctant to hand over big dollars this time. He’s a nice finisher, but he finished outside the top-10 of the best and fairest last year from 13 games after placing fourth in 2019.

But you keep sticking your head in the sand and pretend he is not overpaid.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 6:52pm "Barnstorming" now! You're funny.

I did reply to you Teflon, you chose not to read it. I'm still waiting for all the examples of contests that he's shirked.
You’re the one justifying his 600k salary so I don’t think I need to say more than....you can’t?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 8:36pm
B.M wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 7:46pm Everyone else seems to know?!

The Australian in July 2020 (one year ago) suggested he was the 46th highest paid AFL player and 2nd highest at St Kilda (behind Hill):

Jack Billings
Club: St Kilda
SALARY: $700,000-$750,000
COVID SALARY: $504,000-$540,000
Billings waited until he realised his potential as a wingman and half-forward who effortlessly wins possessions and makes use of them with a lethal left foot when he signed a two-year deal through to 2021 in June last year. Essendon had long been a suitor but he never considered leaving and is now in the very elite of wingmen.

Herald-Sun says 57 in AFL and 3rd at St Kilda (behind Hill and Steele):
Jack Billings
St Kilda
$675,000-$725,000
Big chance he changes teams next season as the Saints aren’t exactly banging down the door with another big contract. The goalkicking midfielder signed a lucrative contract in 2019 for two years but the Saints seem reluctant to hand over big dollars this time. He’s a nice finisher, but he finished outside the top-10 of the best and fairest last year from 13 games after placing fourth in 2019.

But you keep sticking your head in the sand and pretend he is not overpaid.
Thank you
I just couldn’t be bothered replying again to simplistic head in the sand stuff
So let’s hear it Big Marto- why should Billings in current output be paid this type of money?????
Or let me guess.....he’s now a “very good HFF” (except he isn’t) even though when recruited it was originally hoped he’d become a midfielder.....except he hasn’t???
Ghost - you’re welcome to enlighten us all as well????

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 2:25pm Unless he forms part of some fantastic deal, Billings is staying.
Abs takes a pay cut

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 6:19pm Byrnes got Billings covered

Cmon man!!!
You don’t think Higgins or Gresham could do his job also???
Cmon bro what you taking?????

“Yeah….nah””
SaintJohno
Club Player

Far out Teflon, surely you can get the word 'and' right every now and then. It's freaking me out man.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 6:47pm I'm 50 each way on Billings. I think he stays but I hope we dont over pay? It has been reported that in his earlier contract because of our then list structure he was on big dollars, he doesnt deserve what Steele & Crouch are on.
Thank you and that’s the point
Ofcourse he stays but takes a pay cut
He’s a B grader (you need them) not elite and should be paid accordingly
Ross too was gifted under Richo and our previous poor list he definitely needs a haircut as he’s fast becoming depth

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohno wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 9:14pm Far out Teflon, surely you can get the word 'and' right every now and then. It's freaking me out man.
Lol sorry bud it’s my dyslexia kicking in!!!!
That ...AND ....I can’t be arsed fixing auto correct !!
I’ll try harder :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Feel free to shove some more words in my mouth Teflon. I've said we pay no more than $600K, you say no more than $500K. I answered your question but it doesn't suit your narrative to acknowledge that.

These contracts quoted above were done back in 2017 I'm guessing. Who were we paying back then? Of course we have since decided to honour Sydney & Freo's super schemes.

His contract didn't seem an issue at the end of 2019. He copped a massive covid haircut last year. It appears as if his form this season will dictate this contract - not a great time to carry an injury, he was probably in our Top 3 after the first six rounds.

A poster suggested he'll take less for a longer contract. By less that will be about your figure it was suggested. That would be a great win for St Kilda. Certainly better than a 2nd round draft pick.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 9:33pm Feel free to shove some more words in my mouth Teflon. I've said we pay no more than $600K, you say no more than $500K. I answered your question but it doesn't suit your narrative to acknowledge that.

These contracts quoted above were done back in 2017 I'm guessing. Who were we paying back then? Of course we have since decided to honour Sydney & Freo's super schemes.

His contract didn't seem an issue at the end of 2019. He copped a massive covid haircut last year. It appears as if his form this season will dictate this contract - not a great time to carry an injury, he was probably in our Top 3 after the first six rounds.

A poster suggested he'll take less for a longer contract. By less that will be about your figure it was suggested. That would be a great win for St Kilda. Certainly better than a 2nd round draft pick.
You’d have to say though his output right now is 450-500 at best ?? He’s nowhere near Crouch who was well reported on 600 and Steele on 650 (we need to pay him more btw next contract he’s our only true elite player and maybe Marshall...)
Anyway if we got a late first or early second for Billings plus a second for Dunstan and could package these up to get back in the first round to offer for Bing I’d do it
Why???
I can cover Billings - Gresham, Higgins even Byrnes longer term and Dunstan too (I think Bytel needs games ..he’s 22 next year already has better disposal it’s his time) plus we bring in a top 5/6 mid this draft
We need to overall up the ante of talent on the list ofcourse if JB takes 450/5 I’d keep if not we move on

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Suggested

Even the papers can’t agree on his salary

Players salaries are NOT made public

They are reporting what they think, just like you are. Fact is, they don’t know his exact salary.

If you believe the first article Teffers

Then you must believe the comments underneath yeah??
Last edited by B.M on Sun 25 Jul 2021 9:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 9:40pm Suggested

Players salaries are NOT made public
Thanks for the obvious... and lack of an answer to my question

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The problem is we won't get a late first or early 2nd round unless another club offer him a contract we both know (suspect) won't be offered.

It will cost us two first rounders for Bing so trying to package any picks to move up the order is a good idea. Part may come from Dunstan if he moves on, the rest from trading players who aren't RFA. Josh Battle appears the most likely, unless a Coffield requests a change of scenery.

The other thing is we will need X amount of draft pick value if we have to match bids on any of our NGAs.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 9:12pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 2:25pm Unless he forms part of some fantastic deal, Billings is staying.
Abs takes a pay cut
Yes, possibly.

Not worth letting him go for pick 30 though.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Coffield, Battle, Billings, Ross, Dunstan

Can’t lose em all for speculative draft picks

Because we would be a worse team - how is that at all smart?!

Using your DPs is very important

Getting DPs for established players is not a great idea

Eg/ if we got Matthew Allison as compensation for Billings
I’d be filthy!!!!!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 10:17pm Coffield, Battle, Billings, Ross, Dunstan

Can’t lose em all for speculative draft picks

Because we would be a worse team - how is that at all smart?!

Using your DPs is very important

Getting DPs for established players is not a great idea

Eg/ if we got Matthew Allison as compensation for Billings
I’d be filthy!!!!!
I wouldn’t trade any of them for picks really... unless someone was foolish enough to give us a first rounder for Ross but that’s more about age then talent

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Let’s face facts the list right now is not really challenging for a flag we lack serious class and are too workmanlike- Geelong already have 2 Max Kings in Hawkins and the other guy plus have a string of good younger players who can’t get games with big impact players like Danger etc, Dogs have 2 in Naughton and Jamar plus Darcy looks good (their midfield with Bont, Dunkley, Libber, McRae, Treloar, Smith....it just goes on but check that quality???
Tigers closest to “even spread” like us but still have Dusty, 2 Max Kings in Riewoldt/Lynch
Point is we can’t stay with a team of even spread B graders and only Roma/Steele with any impact we need to raise the level and to do that sometimes it’s worth taking a small step back to go forward in a bigger way.
Guys like Dunstan, Ross need to be moved and Billings too IF it works to our favour

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The stronger we make our list there will be players pushed out or looking for other / further opportunities. This is the sign of a strong club.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re Billings from stavro#4 on BF who has proven links with the club -

People are judging him against himself. He literally is having no impact on matches at the moment. It also isn’t fair to say but he can do this and he can do that. What we need is consistency from Billings. Consistent impact. Be reliable.

I literally mark it down for a point when he has a set shot. The surprise is when he nails them. Also, yeah you can use the injury as an excuse. But literally everyone has had an injury in our jumper this year.

for the money he wants and for the money he is currently getting - which is the second highest paid player at the saints. We are getting next to no value. He is an underwhelming footballer at the moment. None of the promise of x-factor that he once had is there.

Further -

I have more then stuck up for him and expressed where he excels and is most valuable - just check my posting last week.

fact is, that we aren’t getting a positive output.
Fact is that the money he is on and the ball park he wants is overpaying for this level of out put.

Funny story. Billings is my favourite player. My little picture, hasn’t changed since the day I put it there. I’m telling you that he is fools gold. That when the whips are cracking, he isn’t consistently standing up. He isn’t reliable.

you call it imaginary. I’m telling you that what I’ve heard. What’s been reported by Tom Morris and if you don’t want to believe us - there have been other posters on here sharing the same whispers.

we are significantly apart on figures with Billings and have been more some time. If someone met this figure, we get a first rounder.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

For what it's worth, Billings is currently sitting 4th in the B&F voting on here, so he must be doing something right occasionally.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 26 Jul 2021 2:17pm Re Billings from stavro#4 on BF who has proven links with the club -

People are judging him against himself. He literally is having no impact on matches at the moment. It also isn’t fair to say but he can do this and he can do that. What we need is consistency from Billings. Consistent impact. Be reliable.

I literally mark it down for a point when he has a set shot. The surprise is when he nails them. Also, yeah you can use the injury as an excuse. But literally everyone has had an injury in our jumper this year.

for the money he wants and for the money he is currently getting - which is the second highest paid player at the saints. We are getting next to no value. He is an underwhelming footballer at the moment. None of the promise of x-factor that he once had is there.

Further -

I have more then stuck up for him and expressed where he excels and is most valuable - just check my posting last week.

fact is, that we aren’t getting a positive output.
Fact is that the money he is on and the ball park he wants is overpaying for this level of out put.

Funny story. Billings is my favourite player. My little picture, hasn’t changed since the day I put it there. I’m telling you that he is fools gold. That when the whips are cracking, he isn’t consistently standing up. He isn’t reliable.

you call it imaginary. I’m telling you that what I’ve heard. What’s been reported by Tom Morris and if you don’t want to believe us - there have been other posters on here sharing the same whispers.

we are significantly apart on figures with Billings and have been more some time. If someone met this figure, we get a first rounder.
Handy poster Stav does have links…

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

People have forgotten the first 11 rounds

Short memories

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 26 Jul 2021 10:40pm People have forgotten the first 11 rounds

Short memories
He leads B&F every year 10 rounds in then falls away been doing it for more than this year...

Everyone seems to forget last 6 years....

Short memories

“Yeah….nah””
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Jack is an enigma & opinions vary & I can see why . Taken as a no. 3 pick lots of expectations but what did we expect ? Did we recruit him to be a solid above average half forward flanker or as a player that can get our team to the next level to make us a genuine premiership contender. He is a good player no doubt & I want him to stay but I can see the other side as well