Jaxons come on down

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jaxons come on down

Anything happen today?

Nee!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Moorabbin Ghost

I'll follow stavro#4 lead and second everything he said. There's some really good people in here but the minority have wrecked it unfortunately. Some say if we put information out there that doesn't come true we deserve a whack, and that's fair enough. The issue is when campaigners get arrogant or nasty like a couple did a week or so back. I don't deserve to put up with that crap. If you don't believe me or don't like me that's fine, just ignore what I have to say.

Things getting very interesting for Saints now, the O'Meara deal holding up our Steele deal. We will go one of two very different ways here...
A well loved player is a chance to go...
Don't get too attached to Pick 10.
We will come out of this trade period very, very nicel

More for the puzzle

More crap, more likely. 8-) 1

ace
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote:Let's get over that crap rumour and get some quality onto the site
OK how about this

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... s14bf.html
Saints speak on Stevens and Steele
St Kilda ramped up their campaign to get Koby Stevens after he wasn't selected for the Bulldogs in the grand final, according to chief operating officer Ameet Bains.
Bains told Trade Radio that the Saints had kept tabs on Stevens throughout the 2016 season, but things had "progressed" after the final game of the year.
Bains said the Saints would look to get deals done on Stevens and GWS' Jack Steele in the next week and were keen to build midfield depth.
He said that Stevens and Steele would complement the strengths the Saints already have in that area.
St Kilda have room to bring in support in terms of a key defender, but Bains said Jake Carlisle's return meant the situation was not as urgent.
Bains didn't have an update on the situation of veteran Sam Fisher. While Fisher "performed at a high level" this year, he said the club and Fisher's management were in agreement that the Saints needed more time.
He said the Saints had no plans to trade out any players in the trade period with the caveat that "you never know when someone might come to you".

Bains stated "categorically" that the Saints are not pursuing Tom Rockliff.

But what would Bains know it is not like he is ITK like so many posters on here.
Last edited by ace on Thu 13 Oct 2016 4:57pm, edited 2 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Playon
Club Player

Both are pretty good itks, but your choice

Playon
Club Player

ace wrote: OK how about this
He also said a couple of days ago that were trying to get 3 picks inside 30.

Ameet keeping his cards close to his chest on some things

bigred
Saintsational Legend

If he can get three picks inside 30 from this position then he is doing exceptionally well.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
longtimesaint
Club Player

bigred wrote:If he can get three picks inside 30 from this position then he is doing exceptionally well.
It could only be done by trading pick 10 for say two in the twenties or trading out a player for a draft pick in the 20's.
The problem is that it may damage the fabric of the team to trade out an established player.

One year will be our year
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Callum Twomey's latest edition

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-13/c ... er-edition

Id be very happy with Berry or Logue with our pick.
I've heard Griffin Logue's name thrown around a fair bit... He's basically a ready made straight out of the packet AFL key position defender. And athletically he's looks pretty amazing...

The West Australian key defender was a star at the combine, recording a 9:58 minute 3km time trial and being the equal winner of the beep test. He matched the endurance efforts with being top-10 in the repeat sprints and taking out one of the running vertical jumps. The weekend at Etihad Stadium proved what many had seen coming for a little while: that Logue is one of the most bankable big defenders in the pool. He could play straight away, such is his body size, maturity and athletic profile. Logue is a good intercept marker and helps out teammates, too.
Basically the ideal modern KPD...go with him and Carlisle surrounded by White, Geary, Roberton, DMac and Webster

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:

I've heard Griffin Logue's name thrown around a fair bit... He's basically a ready made straight out of the packet AFL key position defender. And athletically he's looks pretty amazing...

The West Australian key defender was a star at the combine, recording a 9:58 minute 3km time trial and being the equal winner of the beep test. He matched the endurance efforts with being top-10 in the repeat sprints and taking out one of the running vertical jumps. The weekend at Etihad Stadium proved what many had seen coming for a little while: that Logue is one of the most bankable big defenders in the pool. He could play straight away, such is his body size, maturity and athletic profile. Logue is a good intercept marker and helps out teammates, too.
Basically the ideal modern KPD...go with him and Carlisle surrounded by White, Geary, Roberton, DMac and Webster

Nee!
Playon
Club Player

bigred wrote:If he can get three picks inside 30 from this position then he is doing exceptionally well.
Especially if were not trading any players out and paying for Steele and Stevens

Unless were trading next years first and splitting 10

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Is Ameet an ITK??

“Yeah….nah””
Playon
Club Player

Families unite?

Frawley to Saints working under his uncle Danny
Webster to Hawks to be with his bro...

Was that the answer?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

With all these mids we have and adding Steele and Stevens... it makes me wonder f we have already come to an agreement with Fyfe that he'll come across as a FA next trade period and we basically are treating 2017 as an audition for who joins him in the midfield from 2018 to 2020

Nee!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:

Kind of makes think why stuff around with trades. Just head straight to the draft.

Imagine this side:

Logue Carlisle Geary (Rice)
DMac Roberton Webster
White Ross Newnes
Weller Bruce Billings
Membrey McCartin Gresham

Hickey Acres Steven

Steele, Freeman, Longer, ?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Saints approach appears really sound and confident.

We have a medium term plan and we're sticking to it.

Go Saints!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Playon
Club Player

Teflon wrote:Is Ameet an ITK??
Yes he is, but I heard he doesn't reveal our entire draft strategy on Trade Radio. Of course I could be wrong

Playon
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Saints approach appears really sound and confident.

We have a medium term plan and we're sticking to it.

Go Saints!
+1 think theyve done really well to date, and if we go to the trade table now I'd be happy. If theres more to come so be it.

Really looking forward to having a stronger midfield next year

saynta
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:With all these mids we have and adding Steele and Stevens... it makes me wonder f we have already come to an agreement with Fyfe that he'll come across as a FA next trade period and we basically are treating 2017 as an audition for who joins him in the midfield from 2018 to 2020

You may well be onto somthing there.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote:
fugazi wrote:With all these mids we have and adding Steele and Stevens... it makes me wonder f we have already come to an agreement with Fyfe that he'll come across as a FA next trade period and we basically are treating 2017 as an audition for who joins him in the midfield from 2018 to 2020

:D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
saynta wrote:

:D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ace
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
Especially if were not trading any players out and paying for Steele and Stevens

Unless were trading next years first and splitting 10
The problem with 10 is that it really isn't 10.

Rule no 1 if you have a potential academy or father-son pick is you never call his name.
You wait until someone else does then trump them with the advantage of your bonus.

Let me explain
GWS presently has picks 2, 15, 31 etc and lets assume nothing changes (even though it will)
So if Essendon calls Setterfield at 1, GWS has to trump with pick 2.
If Essendon does NOT call Setterfiled at 1, GWS uses pick 2 on their preferred player not Setterfield.
If someone calls Setterifeld before pick 15, GWS trumps with pick 15
If no-one calls Setterfield they let him slip past 15 waiting for someone to call him then use pick 31 to trump.

Now that we understand rule 1, lets run a mock draft.
Bowes will mostly likely be called ahead of pick 8 so Gold Coast trumps with pick 8.
That does not affect pick 10
Essendon will probably ignore Setterfield despite their threats, they will only get trumped, their first pick will then become the 2nd player drafted losing Essendon the marketing kudos of having a No1 draft pick and that player knowing that Essendon did not want him first.
So Setterfield is picked up by GWS using pick 15 when someone calls his name.
That pushes pick 10 down to pick 11.
Now Perryman is expected to go top 10 but closer to 10.
If he is called before 11 then again GWS trumps pushing our pick 11 down to 12.
If no-one calls Perryman ahead of pick 11 then our pick stays at 11.

So as things stand our pick 10 is really pick 11 or 12 in the dynamics of the draft.
Last edited by ace on Thu 13 Oct 2016 6:23pm, edited 3 times in total.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

fugazi wrote:Anything happen today?
nah

ace
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
fugazi wrote:Anything happen today?
nah
The earth rotated on its' axis once.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
ace wrote:TW actually got it wrong.
The deal is we give Hickey to Fremantle.
They give us Ross Lyon back as a coach.

We have been looking for a half decent ruckman for well over 15 years without success.
Over that time we have wasted a number of first round draft picks on potential ruckman.
Now that we have finally found a good ruckman some lunatics want to trade him away.
We can then spend the next 15 years and many first round picks looking for another ruckman.

HICKEY IS ONLY MOVING FROM SEAFORD TO MOORABBIN !
This is a ridiculous time of the year when all logic seems to go out the window for many supporters.
We have been building nicely with a team all coming through together and playing for the coach.
Why would you even consider crazy trades just for the sake of it.
I would rather steadily pick up the players we need (e.g Steele to add to the midfield), and get another top draftee with pick 10.
We already have Carlisle and Freeman as virtual recruits.
At this time of year logic always goes out the window on footy forums. Fans need to post something whilst they wait for the club to do it's thing.

The speculation is all over the place, I like trade week, i like the end of trade week even more.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Playon
Club Player

ace wrote:
The problem with 10 is that it really isn't 10.

Rule no 1 if you have a potential academy or father-son pick is you never call his name.
You wait until someone else does then trump them with the advantage of your bonus.

Let me explain
Thanks for the explanation but I don't know why you're telling me this and you may of saved yourself some time if you asked if I already knew that.

My reference was to point out that Bains isnt going to tell you our draft strategy on the media, sure he'll say some things but you're not about to get anywhere near the complete story. For example when he said were trying to get 3 picks under 30, Maybe someone should of whispered in his ear "hey dont forget about Steele and Stevens" or told him thats who were getting :)

So when you do the math its almost impossible if were not trading players out. We dont have a second round pick this year and if we we lucky enough to get Steele and Stevens with our 3rd and 4th rounders (which I have doubts on) we still cant convert 10 into 3 inside 30's. If we include next years second which may be needed for Steel its still not enough. 3 inside 30 wasn't going to happen

And I could keep going on but theres no point. The club has strategies in play and obviously more than one and I'm sure that Ameet would be happy to share but all that does is put those strategies at risk and if a trade doesn't turn out he'd probably cop s*** like all the itks do.

So in the end if he says something different next week don't be surprised