Picks 21 and 22 options

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Picks 21 and 22 options

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think every single club would take Watts. The question is what would they give up for him? Probably a pick 20 or so would be about right.
If that's true Con, then the Dreamons were clearly asking for better than pick 20 or so, as they did shop him around end of 2013... not one club was interested.

Unsurprisingly IMHO.

PS: Are you still taking a break from Purgatory, and making the trip down to Melbs' over the Christmas/ New Year period? :)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

6621104 wrote:I'm with Dave on this one, watts can't win the hard ball - he skirts the pack looking for the easy possie. if Melbourne put him up for trade they would get no takers. he is one who shows that statistics tell us nothing.
the comparison with Billings is laughable.
Plus one (and thanks). :D

With all his other attributes, if Wattshegoodfor could actually get a kick... then surely he'd be a champion...?

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:How is Watts relevant to the price of fish in Siberia?

I actually agree with plugger that a young Birchall or Isaac Smith style player would be a very handy addition at the Saints to compliment our 'grunters' (Ross, Weller, Armo, Dunstan, Petracca).
I can't answer your first question Con, :lol: however Wattshegoodfor is a classic example of why I disagree with Plugster when he says that "all AFL footballers can win their own contested footy". Wattshegoodfor... can't! That's why he's knocked Josh Fraser from the mantle of worst No 1 draft pick in recent times.

Blokes who are dependent on others to do the hard work for them are a liability... stop the blokes who are spoon feeding the receivers, and the receivers also disappear from the game. Therefore... receiver = liability.

IMHO all our blokes must be able to win (and relish winning :twisted: ) their own contested footy... when required. I have never stated that I don't want blokes who can run and carry (despite Plug's claims), only that they must also be able to win their own footy when required.

So I don't care if someone like Jack Billings has a low percentage of contested possessions, coz I know that he can win the hard ball when required... c/f the likes of Wattshegoodfor... who can not(!)

PS: Birchall... I knew there was one more in that Dawks side! I wouldn't touch him!

Whoops, Pluggs just spilt his beer all over his KFC (skin on) deep fried rat meat chicken wing. :lol:

Why? Very overrated. Sure, a great kick, but just gets soft possessions out on his own... hey, I could do that. And if I could do that on a footy field, then it can't be too damn hard(!) :idea:

Issac Smith... yep, good player... skilled... and when needed... can win his own contested footy. And that's the key and non-negotiable difference IMHO. :idea:

kalsaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stinger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:How would he get to Port? Even if uncontracted he has no chance of getting to port.

port or adelaide...take your pick...he is a croweater and wants to go home.....in fact he never wanted to leave sa....
But how in terms of mechanics of a trade?
Wouldnt be easy unless Crows finish bottom 2.
Port wont have a top 10 pick and the Lions would need an absolute gun in return. So what he wants doesnt help him get anywhere.
My thoughts on this assumes Aish to move to SA for 2016:
Aish to Adelaide, Saints top level pick end of 2015 plus another player trade or 2 to Brisbane. Saints get Dangerfield. Brisbane will need to look at who else needs to go with Aish.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:I agree with BK above... if Petracca wasn't in the draft I'd be taking Cockatoo. This guy will be a star. I'd even put him ahead of Brayshaw as being the second best player in the draft.

Be wonderful if he made it though to pick 21... but probably unlikely.

He'll be a player that people come to watch... incredible balance, but also seems to display 360 degrees awareness of what's around him... and sure has some tricks.

McKenzie is interesting... how can McCartin be rated above him? Ok, (non straight line) agility seems an issue, but the main thing that would concern me is his poor record against better defenders... big worry that one, but he could have a real upside.

Lambikins also looks a natural... we just gotta' motivate him.

James Rose also looked a natural, but can he beef up enough(?)

Touk also looked good... a pretentious wanky name given by wanky parents... except... it really works. 8-) We should get him just to have a Touk on our list.

Be great if young Caleb made it through to either pick 41, or if we're being greedy, the Rookie Draft. I'd really like us to get hold of him.

The other Delaney... unless his foot is totally shot, and since they said it's a hallux problem, I'd be surprised if that's the case... would be a real steal to land him. As another Saintsationalist pointed out, the Delaney brothers could hold down our key defensive posts till into the next decade.

Finally... I really hope that we do not pick-up any of the three 'permission to train with us' blokes.

As for Schnieds... what's going on there? If his body is still up to it then he's one of our very best, but the last few years strongly suggest that his body isn't up to it anymore... if so, why would we rookie him???

Only see this as salary cap management going forward.

Lambikins and Cockatoo... we gotta spread the Darling-esque rumours about how both blokes are KKK members and supporters of ISIS. :twisted:

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint6709
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Emma Quayle's latest

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/2 ... 1nfn5.html

saint6709
Club Player

saint6709 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Emma Quayle's latest

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/2 ... 1nfn5.html
Take 2 :D :D
According to this ---- Things are changing - looks like Cackatoo is now out of our scope - but Goddard - who people where well up for is now in our range..... Fun times

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I agree with BK above... if Petracca wasn't in the draft I'd be taking Cockatoo. This guy will be a star. I'd even put him ahead of Brayshaw as being the second best player in the draft.
I see Con also has Cockatoo ahead of Brayshaw

OK your opinion but based on what??

The majority of draft experts don't where to place him due to his very limited exposure

Has your opinion been formed from one video highlights package from one game??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:

The majority of draft experts don't where to place him due to his very limited exposure

Ive never claimed to be an expert. Just my run of the mill footy forum opinion.

His test results are outstanding (objective) and I like the cut of his jib (subjective).
He also gets bonus points in my mind for having a cool name.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Ive never claimed to be an expert. Just my run of the mill footy forum opinion.

His test results are outstanding (objective) and I like the cut of his jib (subjective).
It just ..... the vibe ....... of the thing!! :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand the excitement about Cockatoo.

If he's as good as people are saying he won't be around for our second pick.

If he's around for our second pick, he's not as good as people are saying.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

What Con said!

DH, yep, just reading and that one highlights package.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-16/cockatoo-flying

But c/f say Brayshaw's (surprisingly) underwhelming highlights, Nakia looks like a bloke that people will come to watch. The balance, evasive skills (love the backing out of a tackle fend off 8-) ), the acceleration... and the vision. Combine that with the fact that he's already solidly built, so (unlike many highly touted blokes) I expect no problems for Nakia in competing against AFL sized bodies.

IMHO, will be an absolute star!

I also reckon that draft 'bargains' can be found in highlighly talented blokes who slip under the radar a bit due to a badly timed injury... enter Nakia Cockatoo. 8-)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:I don't understand the excitement about Cockatoo.

If he's as good as people are saying he won't be around for our second pick.

If he's around for our second pick, he's not as good as people are saying.
Probably a logical position Kosi. Its hard to see him getting past both the Bombers picks (17&20).

Im still keen on Rose. I figure you cant fluke 30 goals in 9 games.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

Hoping for Corey Elis and Gartlett

Megamaguire
Club Player

Picks 21 & 22

Couldn't resist continuing Emma Q's prediction pattern (only from last year) and the actual picks taken by the Saints on draft day last November. Put another way last year we had picks 18 & 19. Emma had rated Acers @ 16 and Dunstan @ 22. We got Acers sliding down to 18 (in Emma's top 30) while we picked Dunstan who she rated @ 22 in her top 30.

This year Emma has the Saints picking HB/MID Dillon Viojo-Rainbow @ #21 & Def Clem Smith @ 22 but if the same pattern occurs as last year according to her own draft rating we would pick (going back 2 spots - Lachie Weller who she rates @ 19 and Jarrod Garlett who she rates at pick 25 but the Saints pick him @ #22.

Nerdy enough yet?

Looking beyond questionable picking patterns I did notice Emma had Pickett rated @ 13 on her top 30 this year and Cockatoo @ 10. If she is close to what actually happens it looks unlikely we would get either - both being taken before we get a chance.
Mind you her 3rd best Indigenous player from this group of three in her top 30 could of coarse turn out to be the best or second best etc etc.
I also noticed that Emma rates the 2 big defenders Durdin @ slot #16 & Goddard @ slot #23.
If the club's recruiters manage to get a mid they are v. happy with @ 21 I could imagine the temptation to pick one of the 2 big defenders she rates @ picks 16 & 23. Continuing in this vein if recruiters are very happy with pick 21 then the next pick may surprise us just as much - clear as mud?

That's all i've got, gettin a bit intense.

G O S A I N T S! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:How is Watts relevant to the price of fish in Siberia?

I actually agree with plugger that a young Birchall or Isaac Smith style player would be a very handy addition at the Saints to compliment our 'grunters' (Ross, Weller, Armo, Dunstan, Petracca).
I can't answer your first question Con, :lol: however Wattshegoodfor is a classic example of why I disagree with Plugster when he says that "all AFL footballers can win their own contested footy". Wattshegoodfor... can't! That's why he's knocked Josh Fraser from the mantle of worst No 1 draft pick in recent times.

Blokes who are dependent on others to do the hard work for them are a liability... stop the blokes who are spoon feeding the receivers, and the receivers also disappear from the game. Therefore... receiver = liability.

IMHO all our blokes must be able to win (and relish winning :twisted: ) their own contested footy... when required. I have never stated that I don't want blokes who can run and carry (despite Plug's claims), only that they must also be able to win their own footy when required.

So I don't care if someone like Jack Billings has a low percentage of contested possessions, coz I know that he can win the hard ball when required... c/f the likes of Wattshegoodfor... who can not(!)

PS: Birchall... I knew there was one more in that Dawks side! I wouldn't touch him!

Whoops, Pluggs just spilt his beer all over his KFC (skin on) deep fried rat meat chicken wing. :lol:

Why? Very overrated. Sure, a great kick, but just gets soft possessions out on his own... hey, I could do that. And if I could do that on a footy field, then it can't be too damn hard(!) :idea:

Issac Smith... yep, good player... skilled... and when needed... can win his own contested footy. And that's the key and non-negotiable difference IMHO. :idea:

Im a bit worried about you Dave. Its a given now from reading your stuff that your footy knowledge is poor which is a pity because when not using childish names I don't mind reading your stuff but what really worries me is you remembering all the crap written by other posters. You need to get out more Dave. Now Dave lets talk about your footy knowledge. Birchill you say is no good either. Really Dave I cant take you seriously. You do know every player in the AFL wins their own ball? Please tell me you know that. Some just win it more than others. All I know is I hope we get outside runners with pace. Winning their own ball isn't a ptoblem because every AFL player does it but we need players who only do it about once every 3 possessions or in other words about the same as Billings, Watts and Birchell.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

What Con said!

DH, yep, just reading and that one highlights package.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-16/cockatoo-flying

But c/f say Brayshaw's (surprisingly) underwhelming highlights, Nakia looks like a bloke that people will come to watch. The balance, evasive skills (love the backing out of a tackle fend off 8-) ), the acceleration... and the vision. Combine that with the fact that he's already solidly built, so (unlike many highly touted blokes) I expect no problems for Nakia in competing against AFL sized bodies.

IMHO, will be an absolute star!

I also reckon that draft 'bargains' can be found in highlighly talented blokes who slip under the radar a bit due to a badly timed injury... enter Nakia Cockatoo. 8-)

I reckon Lennys highlights wouldn't have been as good as LJ Conners. And im sure if they had a draft camp back then he would have tested very poorly in a few areas. I will take notice of the people who see more than one highlights package.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Picks 21 & 22

Megamaguire wrote:This year Emma has the Saints picking HB/MID Dillon Viojo-Rainbow @ #21 & Def Clem Smith @ 22...
Actually, based on what she's got there taking into account academy and father-son and going strictly on rank order it would be:

1: St Kilda - Peter Wright (2)
2: Melbourne - Christian Petracca (3)
3: Melbourne - Paddy McCartin (4)
4: GWS - Angus Brayshaw (6)
5: Collingwood - Jayden Laverde (7)
6: GWS - Liam Duggan (8)
7: GWS - Paul Ahern (9)
8: Gold Coast - Nakia Cockatoo (10)
9: Collingwood - Darcy Moore (5)
10: Geelong - Jake Lever (11)
11: West Coast - Jarrod Pickett (13)
12: Richmond - Tom Lamb (14)
13: Fremantle - Jordan De Goey (15)
14: Adelaide - Sam Durdin (16)
15: Gold Coast - Kyle Langford (17)
16: North Melbourne - Corey Ellis (18)
17: Essendon - Lachie Weller (19)
18: Sydney - Isaac Heeney (1)
19: Carlton - Alex Neal-Bullen (20)
20: Essendon - Dillon Viojo-Rainbow (21)
21: St Kilda - Clem Smith (22)
22: St Kilda - Hugh Goddard (23)
23: GWS - Liam Dawson (24)
24: GWS - Jack Steele (12)
25: North Melbourne - Jarrod Garlett (25)
26: Western Bulldogs - Connor Menadue (26)
27: Western Bulldogs - Caleb Marchbank (27)
28: Carlton - Ed Vickers-Willis (28)
29: Gold Coast - Connor Blakely (29)
30: Collingwood - Brayden Maynard (30)

So according to her it's:

Peter Wright (203/100), who "might not make the immediate splash some of the onballers do" but "has all the qualities to become the best player from this draft".
Clem Smith (177/78), a "boisterous small defender" who "needs to increase his endurance".
Hugh Goddard (196/94), who "played both ends of the ground but arguably looks most comfortable as a defender".

Looks like a pretty unexciting set of picks, at least in the short-term. None of them would play more than five or ten next year, whereas Petracca should be pencilled in for 20 barring injury.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Picks: 21 & 22

Interesting with Emma having the big guy (Wright) as her number 1 (with Heeney gone to the swans).
Bear with me on this pattern business.
If we manage to draft a player Emma rates as 2 slots better than our projected pick 21 (according to Emma) then for the pattern to repeat last years' pattern we'll pick Alex Neal-Bullen instead of Carlton and also J.Garlett (instead of North) who is rated (by Emma) @ 25 - 3 slots after H.Goddard in her top 30.
I don't think C. Smith & H. Goddard will be our picks on the day if available.

I'm expecting a 2nd. mid - field player @ our 2nd or 3rd pick - whether inside or outside mid.

I'm also assuming we pick Petracca who Emma rates as her 2nd. best player available on draft day.

Of coarse chances are this pattern doesn't repeat but I find it interesting that we could end of with a player a bit further up her list and one a bit further down her list from the two she has rated at 21 and 22 (Smith & Goddard as you point out).

Any thoughts/ preferences according to Emma's list ?
Last edited by Megamaguire on Mon 17 Nov 2014 2:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Actually just watched the Cockatoo highlights reel, and whilst factoring in that it's a highlights package, if the kid can get the ball 20 times a game and show that evasiveness, vision and pace, then I'm sold. Backs himself instinctively to beat them with pace and looks for options the second he gets possession. He looks to me like he is quick thinking, as well as being fleet of foot, and that is very much the difference between blokes that seem to have time when they have the ball, against blokes that always seem rushed.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:Actually just watched the Cockatoo highlights reel, and whilst factoring in that it's a highlights package, if the kid can get the ball 20 times a game and show that evasiveness, vision and pace, then I'm sold. Backs himself instinctively to beat them with pace and looks for options the second he gets possession. He looks to me like he is quick thinking, as well as being fleet of foot, and that is very much the difference between blokes that seem to have time when they have the ball, against blokes that always seem rushed.

Any one that saw the pre grand final game and his highlight package would be very keen I would think. He looks like the kind of player that makes you want to watch footy.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I watched Cockatoo play that GF game and he is a special talent. The highlight reel shows his possessions, what wasn't shown were his defensive efforts. He is one of those types who actually runs as quick to chase down an opponent, he tackles aggressively and goes hard at the ball. I am praying that he is still available with our second pick.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Picks 21 & 22

bergholt wrote:
Megamaguire wrote:This year Emma has the Saints picking HB/MID Dillon Viojo-Rainbow @ #21 & Def Clem Smith @ 22...
Actually, based on what she's got there taking into account academy and father-son and going strictly on rank order it would be:

1: St Kilda - Peter Wright (2)
2: Melbourne - Christian Petracca (3)
3: Melbourne - Paddy McCartin (4)
4: GWS - Angus Brayshaw (6)
5: Collingwood - Jayden Laverde (7)
6: GWS - Liam Duggan (8)
7: GWS - Paul Ahern (9)
8: Gold Coast - Nakia Cockatoo (10)
9: Collingwood - Darcy Moore (5)
10: Geelong - Jake Lever (11)
11: West Coast - Jarrod Pickett (13)
12: Richmond - Tom Lamb (14)
13: Fremantle - Jordan De Goey (15)
14: Adelaide - Sam Durdin (16)
15: Gold Coast - Kyle Langford (17)
16: North Melbourne - Corey Ellis (18)
17: Essendon - Lachie Weller (19)
18: Sydney - Isaac Heeney (1)
19: Carlton - Alex Neal-Bullen (20)
20: Essendon - Dillon Viojo-Rainbow (21)
21: St Kilda - Clem Smith (22)
22: St Kilda - Hugh Goddard (23)
23: GWS - Liam Dawson (24)
24: GWS - Jack Steele (12)
25: North Melbourne - Jarrod Garlett (25)
26: Western Bulldogs - Connor Menadue (26)
27: Western Bulldogs - Caleb Marchbank (27)
28: Carlton - Ed Vickers-Willis (28)
29: Gold Coast - Connor Blakely (29)
30: Collingwood - Brayden Maynard (30)

So according to her it's:

Peter Wright (203/100), who "might not make the immediate splash some of the onballers do" but "has all the qualities to become the best player from this draft".
Clem Smith (177/78), a "boisterous small defender" who "needs to increase his endurance".
Hugh Goddard (196/94), who "played both ends of the ground but arguably looks most comfortable as a defender".

Looks like a pretty unexciting set of picks, at least in the short-term. None of them would play more than five or ten next year, whereas Petracca should be pencilled in for 20 barring injury.
Melbourne would be laughing themselves stupid if that happened - would almost erase the Watts error.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "