Official Trade Rumours thread (all in here please)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Re: trade rumours

What would the Saints give up for Bruce? A 3rd rounder?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i reckon a 3rd rounder would be suficiant,.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Not sure GWS would want a 3rd rounder, that's the problem....

dragit
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Not sure GWS would want a 3rd rounder, that's the problem....
Sam Fisher...

maverick
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Sam Fisher...
Maybe?
Montagna and their 2nd pick?

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Sam Fisher...
That won't do it, I reckon they will expect more than a third rounder,

I love this club
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
dragit wrote:
Sam Fisher...
Maybe?
Montagna and their 2nd pick?
no way is bruce worth montagna alone.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:
dragit wrote:
Sam Fisher...
no way is bruce worth montagna alone.
Sorry I meant Bruce and their second pick for Joey

dragit
Saintsational Legend

If we trade away our second pick (early 20-something) we have to trade out a quality player to get a similar back.

We have to get more quality young mids into the side.

GWS don't have huge bargaining power here, they have to reduce their list, they have 4-5 better key defenders, we have 3rd pick in the PSD… Melbourne probably don't need him.

Get Bruce to say he won't go to any other club, just like all the other clubs have done to us

SinCitySainter
Club Player

McEvoy for their 2nd pick and Bruce.
People keep saying that Big Ben is only worth a second rounder but McEvoy is a ruckman who can take a contested mark, these players are worth their weight in gold.

FQF
SS Life Member

Does he even have to go to the draft? Isn't there a new way to sign up uncontracted players just like we did with Roberton?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Does he even have to go to the draft? Isn't there a new way to sign up uncontracted players just like we did with Roberton?
It's a good question… GWS have indicated they want to keep him so I'm not sure he qualifies - yet. If he is later de-listed then he qualifies. Sounds like a loop-hole to me though, surely any player who is not willing to sign a new contract will eventually be de-listed?

Essentially Martin could be de-listed if they can't come to terms, and Richmond receive nothing? So the club essentially has no power here?

* A player has served seven seasons or fewer of AFL football at one club, and is now out of contract.

The player is not eligible for free agency if his club wishes to retain him. He may only move clubs via a trade or the draft. If he delists himself, he is subject to the draft, and may be selected by any club.
A player has served seven seasons or fewer of AFL football at one club, and has been delisted by his club.

The player is a free agent and is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.

The player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.

The player can move automatically to the new club of his choice.

His original club, which chose to delist him, does not receive any compensation pick for the loss of the player.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl- ... z2eRg3TcSV

FQF
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
FQF wrote:Does he even have to go to the draft? Isn't there a new way to sign up uncontracted players just like we did with Roberton?
It's a good question… GWS have indicated they want to keep him so I'm not sure he qualifies - yet. If he is later de-listed then he qualifies. Sounds like a loop-hole to me though, surely any player who is not willing to sign a new contract will eventually be de-listed?

Essentially Martin could be de-listed if they can't come to terms, and Richmond receive nothing? So the club essentially has no power here?

* A player has served seven seasons or fewer of AFL football at one club, and is now out of contract.

The player is not eligible for free agency if his club wishes to retain him. He may only move clubs via a trade or the draft. If he delists himself, he is subject to the draft, and may be selected by any club.
A player has served seven seasons or fewer of AFL football at one club, and has been delisted by his club.

The player is a free agent and is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.

The player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.

The player can move automatically to the new club of his choice.

His original club, which chose to delist him, does not receive any compensation pick for the loss of the player.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl- ... z2eRg3TcSV
Sounds like that could lead to situations of a standoff between player and club. Player refuses to sign a new contract, but will not "delist himself". Asking for trouble it seems/

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Seems like a terrible loop-hole to me…

What if say Collingwood convince Jack Steven to go there… we offer him the world but he refuses to stay. Collingwood offer us a third or fourth round pick only, of course we refuse… but we have absolutely no way of keeping him, so in the end have to de-list him, Collingwood pick him up as a de-listed free agent, we get nothing?

A bit like the Luke Ball scenario, but even worse as Collingwood don't have to use a pick.

Is that right?

Do we have to wait for this to happen before we close this loop-hole?

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

dragit wrote:Seems like a terrible loop-hole to me…

What if say Collingwood convince Jack Steven to go there… we offer him the world but he refuses to stay. Collingwood offer us a third or fourth round pick only, of course we refuse… but we have absolutely no way of keeping him, so in the end have to de-list him, Collingwood pick him up as a de-listed free agent, we get nothing?

A bit like the Luke Ball scenario, but even worse as Collingwood don't have to use a pick.

Is that right?

Do we have to wait for this to happen before we close this loop-hole?

DIdn't it happen already with ROberton? I thought we picked him up as a delisted free agent. Seems to me that it's open slather already.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: DIdn't it happen already with ROberton? I thought we picked him up as a delisted free agent. Seems to me that it's open slather already.....
Yeah, that's right, we enjoyed the spoils with Roberton, but wait till it effects a big name.

There must be some safe guard in place or trade week is essentially obsolete?

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Simple solution is if you want to keep the player you don't de-list him.
If he refuses to sign you stand your ground and make him de-list himself at which point he must go to the draft.
Freo agreed to de-list Roberton because he wanted to come back to Melbourne and they couldn't get the trade done.
They did it as a gesture of good-will to the player.
Believe me had it been Fyfe or someone they really wanted to keep they wouldn't have de-listed him.

Richter
SS Life Member

SinCitySainter wrote:Simple solution is if you want to keep the player you don't de-list him.
If he refuses to sign you stand your ground and make him de-list himself at which point he must go to the draft.
Freo agreed to de-list Roberton because he wanted to come back to Melbourne and they couldn't get the trade done.
Believe me had it been Fyfe or someone they really wanted to keep they wouldn't have de-listed him.
This. If the club refuse to de-list the player and the player refuses to de-list himself then the player misses out on being able to play AFL footy for the following year. So one or other has to budge.

If Freo had played hardball then Roberton would have had to de-list himself and nominate for the draft (either national or PSD depending on the timing of him de-listing himself). There he could have been picked up by any club, which would have had to use a dp on him too. Freo were kind to both Roberton and to St Kilda. Of course they were able to pick up Dawson in the PSD for nothing the previous year, so perhaps they thought they owed us a solid anyway.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
FQF
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote:Simple solution is if you want to keep the player you don't de-list him.
This. If the club refuse to de-list the player and the player refuses to de-list himself then the player misses out on being able to play AFL footy for the following year. So one or other has to budge.

If Freo had played hardball then Roberton would have had to de-list himself and nominate for the draft (either national or PSD depending on the timing of him de-listing himself). There he could have been picked up by any club, which would have had to use a dp on him too. Freo were kind to both Roberton and to St Kilda. Of course they were able to pick up Dawson in the PSD for nothing the previous year, so perhaps they thought they owed us a solid anyway.

All true, but GWS must delist a certain number of players, and they no doubt would not want someone on their list who doesn't even have a contract to play with them. Seems absurd.

Kickit
Club Player

GWS only have to delist enough players to draft.
Their 2013 list is 50.
Their 2014 allowable list is 50.

By 2015 they have to get down to 48.

Its not a factor and people should stop saying it is.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:GWS only have to delist enough players to draft.
Their 2013 list is 50.

But if he won't sign a contract, they will have to delist him… and with his favoured club with pick 3 in the PSD, we are in a good posi.

FQF
SS Life Member

Kickit wrote:GWS only have to delist enough players to draft.
Their 2013 list is 50.

Whether or not they have to delist, no team would want a spot on their list being taken up by a player who has no prospect whatsoever of playing. It simply stops the development of another player, and is counterproductive to team management.
And for what? To stand their ground and make a point? It just won't happen.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

mightysainters wrote:Apparently chasing a GWS young KP backman
;)

noob
Club Player

I hope Watters and co doesn't do a Michael Voss and gets all excited with the extra cap space and make recruiting decisions that aren't necessary. To be honest I think it's ridiculous that they are mentioning about being aggressive, needing a key back and also wanting 3 or 4 top 20 picks by the end of the trade period. We are probably going to have to pay overs in most circumstances now that all opposition clubs know what we are trying to achieve.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:I hope Watters and co doesn't do a Michael Voss and gets all excited with the extra cap space and make recruiting decisions that aren't necessary. To be honest I think it's ridiculous that they are mentioning about being aggressive, needing a key back and also wanting 3 or 4 top 20 picks by the end of the trade period. We are probably going to have to pay overs in most circumstances now that all opposition clubs know what we are trying to achieve.
Dont think it was much of a secret.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)