GWS v Saints Match Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: GWS v Saints Match Thread

3rd generation saint wrote:I remember last practice match a few years back when Port thrashed us by 10 goals +. Anyone remember what happened over the next 19 weeks.
We didn't win a premiership, so I have forgotten as it means nothing otherwise.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

matrix wrote:how did we go???
well you and plugger had a pre-season keyboard match
not sure what the final score was tho

Seeya
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I thought we were awesome, just put 20k on us to win the flag.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

BigMart wrote:I do believe its hot for both sides...

It's not a loss that's worrying, like last year... You don't win points in March?!

But inability to play good footy is concerning, player form is concerning.... Result itself is is actuall meaningless.. How we played is a different matter.... Scotty would have been asking question one would hope??

And having a week to iron out issues??? We've had 4 months working on skills, game style...and we can fix them in a week....surely we jest..... Dress rehearsal showed usual deficiencies.... Not sure they can be corrected.

Having said that.... I've seen things to suggest we can mix it..... Not in this game though
Yes it is hot for both sides but we have copped it three weeks running, has to take its toll, especially so early in the season when fitness levels are still not at optimum levels. We looked lethargic right from the word go

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Best Players............
Hard to pick for me.
I thought Steven, Armo, and Monty were the best of our mids. Newnes did well. Milera was the best of the mosquito fleet. Dennis-Lane does not get enough of the ball. Gwilt one of our best defenders.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:

It's not a loss that's worrying, like last year... You don't win points in March?!

But inability to play good footy is concerning, player form is concerning.... Result itself is is actuall meaningless.. How we played is a different matter.... Scotty would have been asking question one would hope??

And having a week to iron out issues??? We've had 4 months working on skills, game style...and we can fix them in a week....surely we jest..... Dress rehearsal showed usual deficiencies.... Not sure they can be corrected.

Having said that.... I've seen things to suggest we can mix it..... Not in this game though
Yes it is hot for both sides but we have copped it three weeks running, has to take its toll, especially so early in the season when fitness levels are still not at optimum levels. We looked lethargic right from the word go
I can't see how. They get a weeks break inbetween each match and are young fit athletes. Surely it can't knock that much stuffing out of a player. Lethargic might also mean don't give a stuff or it's only a practice match which doen't go at the same pace or intensity of a premiership points match.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

the intensity was way off and they put us under a lot of pressure, obviously something they were working on. but what were we working on?

if I'm being honest I would say that Lee is not looking like a star. obviously happy to give him time but I was hoping for a little more.

a fanciful theory I have is that we play GWS in round three and Watters is so god damn canny that he was giving nothing away today. pass me the iron brew.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:

I can't see how. They get a weeks break inbetween each match and are young fit athletes. Surely it can't knock that much stuffing out of a player. Lethargic might also mean don't give a stuff or it's only a practice match which doen't go at the same pace or intensity of a premiership points match.
Playing in intense heat means it takes a hell of a lot longer to recover than normal. Even being down 10% would make a huge difference.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

It isnt the end of the world today but this thread is on this game, it isnt on how we will go round one or in the season. Today was a very bad performance. The heat isnt that much of an excuse. It was 30 degrees. It maybe close to that round one but at least it wont be direct sunlight. We may not have mentally been fully switched on. That I have little doubt on but the problem was the skill level. It was average at best and poor at other times. We get excited when we win practice games so what is wrong with being disappointed with the effort when we lose to a side that will just about certainly finish bottom this year. Positive was no injuries.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Rank the pre season games...

Adelaide- ok against Adelaide 2nd 11
Port Adelaide- horrible,backed up in heat,dismiss
Sydney- Ok,just. Lots got carried away with that game,thought we were average for 3 quarters,then our 50% side over ran there 50% side 4 weeks behind.
Melbourne- ? didn't see
GWS- horrible...another hot game though,maybe dismiss..

Think it's a reasonable indicator of our season ahead. Second half of the ladder. Will provide nuisance value, but will be a fair way behind the better sides most of the time.

Forget about threatening. We need to find 2-3 players this year. Unlikely to be any superstars,but we need a couple of finds that are 'overs' going forward into two crucial trade/draft years ahead. Mess them up and we are in for the long haul...

Bring back the Lockett era
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:It isnt the end of the world today but this thread is on this game, it isnt on how we will go round one or in the season. Today was a very bad performance. The heat isnt that much of an excuse. It was 30 degrees. It maybe close to that round one but at least it wont be direct sunlight. We may not have mentally been fully switched on. That I have little doubt on but the problem was the skill level. It was average at best and poor at other times. We get excited when we win practice games so what is wrong with being disappointed with the effort when we lose to a side that will just about certainly finish bottom this year. Positive was no injuries.
Agree.

For those who say it means nothing, for our struggling membership tally this performance is no help.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote: Yes it is hot for both sides but we have copped it three weeks running, has to take its toll, especially so early in the season when fitness levels are still not at optimum levels. We looked lethargic right from the word go
Playing in intense heat means it takes a hell of a lot longer to recover than normal. Even being down 10% would make a huge difference.
How long is a hell of lot longer? and what do you mean being down 10%, I don't understand what you mean.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:How long is a hell of lot longer? and what do you mean being down 10%, I don't understand what you mean.

You ever been to Western Sydney Cairnsman? It is psychologically damaging as well as being physically hot.

All those middle class welfare recipients, whinging about the carbon tax. They probably attacked Saad because he is a muslim and probably tried to whack 457 visas on the whole team as they were taking local's jobs :D :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Best Players............
Hard to pick for me.
I thought Steven, Armo, and Monty were the best of our mids. Newnes did well. Milera was the best of the mosquito fleet. Dennis-Lane does not get enough of the ball. Gwilt one of our best defenders.

Gwilty went really well and had his touch back apart from one shocking kick. For me Roberton continued to impress too. He just keeps doing his thing with out fuss even showed a little more pace today. Armo was a bit quiet compared to his last few games. Jack Steven looked a grade and along with Joey he was a class above our other mids.

Someone said Rooey was whinging but the umps let that Gilham and co run into his back several times before he took him right out and got a free they then tunnelled him a couple of times- he was pretty entitled to complain with that. Wasn't a dominant display but ran really freely which is good.

jack Steven got a nasty clean up from Ward and should get looked at -up until then we seemed to be in the game with a couple of minutes to go.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:How long is a hell of lot longer? and what do you mean being down 10%, I don't understand what you mean.

You ever been to Western Sydney Cairnsman? It is psychologically damaging as well as being physically hot.

All those middle class welfare recipients, whinging about the carbon tax. They probably attacked Saad because he is a muslim and probably tried to whack 457 visas on the whole team as they were taking local's jobs :D :wink:

Seriously though Sydney feel 32 at 25 degrees because of the humidity, I was there at Christmas and it is oppressive at 30 degrees.

SMS
Club Player

my god seriously guys do you think wattewr said to the biys today HEY GUYS MUST WIN TODAY SMASH YASELVES BIGTIME GET INJURED GO HARD GI SOOOO HARD WE WIN!!

you are idiots who believe this.

saints went 45% today, GWS went 80%. simple as that.

Round 3 BookmaRK ME BLA BLA BLA WE WILL WIN BY 90+ POINTS

SMS
Club Player

my god seriously guys do you think wattewr said to the biys today HEY GUYS MUST WIN TODAY SMASH YASELVES BIGTIME GET INJURED GO HARD GI SOOOO HARD WE WIN!!

you are idiots who believe this.

saints went 45% today, GWS went 80%. simple as that.

Round 3 BookmaRK ME BLA BLA BLA WE WILL WIN BY 90+ POINTS

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:How long is a hell of lot longer? and what do you mean being down 10%, I don't understand what you mean.[/qubote]

Seriously though Sydney feel 32 at 25 degrees because of the humidity, I was there at Christmas and it is oppressive at 30 degrees.
I get that but I don't get this perception that the heat somehow will effect your performance in a week or mores time, especially if you are a young fit footballer. The effects the heat is supposed to have all seem a little perceived and subjective. Just my opinion for the day.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Ray was good again, probably more fair dinkum thank most.
Gwilt better than last year, on the way back?
Roberton looked OK as did Beau.
Not sure about TDL decision making.
Did Milne get there at 3 quarter time?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

From all indications, it sounds as though today's performance is no sneak preview as to how we'll fair this year. Sounds as though the team didn't exactly up the ante on intensity. Just a light run in the park and nothing physically taxing so players' bodies will go in fresh for Round 1. Well, I'm hoping that's the case.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SMS
Club Player

sERIOUSLY milne?? people are questioning MINE? arguably the greatest small forward in hostory and ya saying hey why wax he bad today oh nooo

get a grip you fools.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
well you and plugger had a pre-season keyboard match
not sure what the final score was tho

pfft

i wasnt even rude

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:sERIOUSLY milne?? people are questioning MINE? arguably the greatest small forward in hostory and ya saying hey why wax he bad today oh nooo

get a grip you fools.
Yor spil chekr iz priti farkt.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Did anyone think GWS would beat us?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Did anyone think GWS would beat us?

Kevin Sheedy.