Goddards managers comments.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddards managers comments.

Plenty of teams would have loved Milney in their forward line over the years; plenty.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Plenty of teams would have loved Milney in their forward line over the years; plenty.

not saying they wouldn't, but at what price?
Not sure anybody would want him at or near Goddards price,

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Id have bj no. 1 at the saints last year, most valuable that is. Roo above him in 09/10ish. Bj has more strings to his bow than most, actually hes prob the most versitile player in the comp. he can play just about anywhere and all his disposals count. just doesnt have the ball winning ability as hayes, especially.

Id have Hayes clearly above BJ and Dal as well. Hayes sets us up and Dal does more of that than BJ. BJ is a finisher. I know B&F arent everything but 9th and 4th in the last 2 years isnt great for a number one player. This was going to happen though. In some eyes he will be about our 8th best player now he has left and in others he gets better. I think 4th best at our club is about right. Top 30 in the AFL is about right. Paid as a top 10 player is completely wrong for our club which has probably peaked for the next 4 to 5 years at least.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i think we will be the poorer for the loss of bj for this year only......he freed up 600 grand in our salary cap so we can afford to go after a gun free agent at year's end.....this plus the pick we got for him should see us in front....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:i think we will be the poorer for the loss of bj for this year only......he freed up 600 grand in our salary cap so we can afford to go after a gun free agent at year's end.....this plus the pick we got for him should see us in front....
Three picks Stinger.

Hickey, who could be very good for us this year and even great, TDL who adds depth and more speed and could be better for us than some think and Spencer White who could be anything and who the FILTH really wanted from all accounts. And as you said, it also frees up our salary cap a bit.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Richter
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Goddard

A 191/92 utility that can control a game in any section of the ground.

He is a rare beast IMO

Come up with a better all round package in the AFL

Possibly Goodes, Hodge, Pavlich.... Not sure of many others who can be devastating out of the back half, gather lots of it in the middle and take contested marks fwd of the ball?
You see I agree with this post if it were dated 2 years ago. Really the game that demonstrated him at his devastating best was GF1. But the reality of the last 2 seasons has shown that BJ is not in the same league as Goodes and Pavlich and is not as iconically important as Hodge, though I think he is a better player than him.

He has continued to regularly dominate at half back, but has rarely done so at half forward or through the midfield in the last 2 seasons.

The point is that the quarterbacking half back role that BJ is one of the best in the afl at is simply not as crucial a role as a CHF or an inside mid. It's the reason why I put all of Roo, Lenny and Dal above BJ in our pecking order.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
The point is that the quarterbacking half back role that BJ is one of the best in the afl at is simply not as crucial a role as a CHF or an inside mid. It's the reason why I put all of Roo, Lenny and Dal above BJ in our pecking order.
Indeed.

Chuck in Sam Fisher as well, and BJ was at best 4th and possibly 5th in our pecking order.
Despite all the bleating by some, given the $$$$ BJ was demanding, we simply could not pay what he was demanding.

One player, does not a team maketh!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

8 pages of crap about a player that cared only for himself.....

maybe he left for money, money needed by his family to pay outstanding legal bills....who knows..

Who gives a F**k

Brendan who :roll:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
BigMart wrote:I remember a few games where BJ exerted influence and won his own ball?!

One game in particular....

In fact that game would be a better game than McClure would have ever dreamed of

Goddards a gun

It's that simple.... He's worth 700k
That's 3 years ago now, imagine if Grammy got cut that much slack.
He was a gun, he won't be going forward.
Now I have something to add to that about BJ in THAT game. Why didn't he take another mark and kick another goal in the final quarter, Then at least we would have won. He was well beaten in the first half anyway.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

essendon mercenary. why the grief?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

On the open market

Who would be our most valuable player in dollar terms... 2012?

Richter
SS Life Member

For mine it's pretty much four way tie between

- Sam Fisher - a number of teams looking for a quality CHB. GWS wanted him, if there were a genuine open market, the Hawks would have thrown the kitchen sink at him. Despite turning 31 this year he started footy late and is one the best players in his position in the AFL. Popular clubman.

- Nick Riewoldt - despite a decline, he still plays at an extremely high level in the critical position of CHF and would adorn any other club. Leader.

- Nick Dal Santo - silky sublime, our best Brownlow performer over the last decade, the first man tagged, and only just turned 29. Still has 3 to 4 years of good footy in him. Top bloke.

- Goddard - at his best is elite and whilst he has played consistently over the last two years, in his prime years of 26, 27 years old he has not played as well as he did the previous two years. Who knows why? Perhaps a hip injury he endured in 2011? All of his elite teammates (the above plus Lenny, Milne, Joey and Dempster) consistently improved to at least the age of 28 and in a number cases beyond. He has the most potential of all of them to produce in the future as he is still only 27 and could have another 5 years or more ahead of him, but have we already seen the best of him? Is he now relegated to being the pleasant to watch outside receiver or can he return to his best, most imposing version of himself that had the capacity to very nearly drag his team over the line for a flag? Potential club captain.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are you suggesting players turning 30 and beyond would receive

Exactly how bad was Goddard over the last two seasons?? Going on this forum, he didn't get a kick?!
Best I check his stats again, because in my reckoning he still found it, used it and performed well...

If BJ played continually like that period during 09/10 he would be worth 1.2M per year, it was a hot spell... Like Harvs had in 97/98.... Plugger had in 91/92.... Nick had in 2004..... Where they are possibly they are the best in the comp.... Can't sustain that for ever
But he still operates at elite levels

Dal... There is two reasons he is first tagged first?? He is a crack mid, but only as good as plenty of other guns 4-6 years younger
Sam Fisher.... 32 this year.... GWS or GC would sign him short term, but leave their big money for 5-10 year players
Nick Riewoldt.... Not sure would even be offered a significant contract elsewhere

Goddard

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Are you suggesting players turning 30 and beyond would receive

Exactly how bad was Goddard over the last two seasons?? Going on this forum, he didn't get a kick?!
Best I check his stats again, because in my reckoning he still found it, used it and performed well...

If BJ played continually like that period during 09/10 he would be worth 1.2M per year, it was a hot spell... Like Harvs had in 97/98.... Plugger had in 91/92.... Nick had in 2004..... Where they are possibly they are the best in the comp.... Can't sustain that for ever
But he still operates at elite levels

Dal... There is two reasons he is first tagged first?? He is a crack mid, but only as good as plenty of other guns 4-6 years younger
Sam Fisher.... 32 this year.... GWS or GC would sign him short term, but leave their big money for 5-10 year players
Nick Riewoldt.... Not sure would even be offered a significant contract elsewhere

Goddard

So we are now paying a guy who couldnt even win his clubs b&f 1.2 million a year. What would that have made Lenny and Rooy worth at the time? BJ had very good seasons in those 2 years but lets not reinvent what he actually did. How you can compare him to Harvs or pluggers years is beyond me. Can you explain the comparision? I have no doubt though that BJ would be the most wanted player by another club. I reckon that is proven. He went to another club, the others stayed.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Would another club offer Lenny or Roo (fisher) anything over 600K or anymore than a 2 year contract?!

Age and body will come into contract negotiation, is that hard to work out

BJ did not win a B&F because of these players.... They were better (and worth more) at the time.... Not now

And along with Dal they were all elite players..... Dal did not win one either

Up until 2011 Riewoldt was our MVP (money terms) but watching his knee deterioration .... Is no longer... Many years Lenny and Fish and Dal were 2, 3, 4 and probably Goddard 5.... Sometimes changing positions on for... You could throw Joey in the mix too...

Right now... If I was a rival club and I could have picked a 2012 player from StK I would have taken the one I could get most elite games out of..... IMO Goddard

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

BTW.... Goddards form in parts of 09/10 was amongst the AFL elite

He won the most footy, he used it best, he took contested marks.... All round package....

BTW

Who would be contractually worth more
Mitchell or Franklin??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Would another club offer Lenny or Roo (fisher) anything over 600K or anymore than a 2 year contract?!

Age and body will come into contract negotiation, is that hard to work out

BJ did not win a B&F because of these players.... They were better (and worth more) at the time.... Not now

And along with Dal they were all elite players..... Dal did not win one either

Up until 2011 Riewoldt was our MVP (money terms) but watching his knee deterioration .... Is no longer... Many years Lenny and Fish and Dal were 2, 3, 4 and probably Goddard 5.... Sometimes changing positions on for... You could throw Joey in the mix too...

Right now... If I was a rival club and I could have picked a 2012 player from StK I would have taken the one I could get most elite games out of..... IMO Goddard
So you still state a guy who would have still not won a B&F would be worth 1.2 million now. i am saying he still wouldnt have won a B&F because he couldnt then when playing at his best so he probably wouldnt now. Anyway that is hypothetical. And you have explained how BJ in those years could be compared to Harvs and Plugger in the years you mentioned. Do you think you rewrote history a little?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:BTW.... Goddards form in parts of 09/10 was amongst the AFL elite

He won the most footy, he used it best, he took contested marks.... All round package....

BTW

Who would be contractually worth more
Mitchell or Franklin??

Franklin because he is a key forward. And his marketing is worth so much more. Probably the same reason Rooy got a million at his best and Lenny probably never got over 500k at his best. Please dont tell me you are comparing a running HBF, utility type to a key CHF, FF type?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:BTW.... Goddards form in parts of 09/10 was amongst the AFL elite

No disputing that but in 2011 he gave up on the team and that is where he lost a lot of respect. Played like a sook and put himself in preservation mode biding his time until he could move to another club. We were still a chance in 2011 but his defeatist attitude didn't help. In his defence he wasn't the only player with a defeatist attitude that year.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Simple question

Who would you offer a bigger contract to for 2013 and beyond

Goddard, Hayes, Fisher or Reiwoldt.... If you were a rival list manager??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Simple question

Me or Cairnsman? I will answer and I think I already have anyway. BJ? Now how about answering the questions are asked you?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

What a strange question, 3 of those guys average is age is about 5 years older than Goddard.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

It's too simple a question because of the fact you have to take into account what the needs are of the rival list manager and how much each individual was asking.

For example Hayes would be a good fit for a developing side at a very cheap price (probably offer him coaching opportunities too).
Fisher would be good for a side that is very close to premiership contention (probably offer a two year deal on decent money still)
Roo (see Fisher)
Goddard would be a good fit for team full of drug fuelled cheats that thought it was close to a premiership.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who would get the bigger contract was the question...

Not who would be a good fit??

Eg. Would GWS offer more money for Hayes or BJ

Not who is the best player (or has been)

Contracts are about forward projection.... Who will be most likely able to deliver more elite games going forward is the factor

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Who would get the bigger contract was the question...

Not who would be a good fit??

Eg. Would GWS offer more money for Hayes or BJ

Not who is the best player (or has been)

Contracts are about forward projection.... Who will be most likely able to deliver more elite games going forward is the factor
Yep ok! Well in that case if Roo was on the market last year, Roo hands down.